ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 202
Legal Consequences of Lane Splitting/Filtering?

Next year commencing late July I am intending to ride around the USA, starting and finishing in Portland, Oregon. In reading up on the road rules in the many states I will be passing through, it is evident that lane splitting/filtering is not legal in many of them. In others, the statute seems to be silent on the matter.

I differentiate between lane splitting and filtering. The former is high speed and often dangerous, while filtering is low speed between cagers that are moving very slowly or stopped. Filtering is something I do 98% of the time; lane splitting very rarely. Query whether the traffic enforcers draw any distinction between the two?

In any event, it is inevitable that on my trip I will encounter situations where I want/need to filter. My question to inmates is: If Mr Plod the policeman pulls me over for the heinous crime of filtering, what are the likely, possible or probable consequences? Especially when he (or she) sees my Australian license and address.

Any experiences you can share?

Thanks and regards.
duncanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
larryboy
Chopper Rider
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: On a set of 50,000 mile tires.
Oddometer: 14,127
It's only not-illegal in California.

People feel very entitled in the USA, expect to have a door opened on ya in the rest of the states.

I'll split/filter in hot as hell states like Nevada and Arizona, if there isn't a good reason for it I don't do it outside of California where drivers are used to it.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
JRP
Old guy
 
JRP's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Hampden, MA
Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
It's only not-illegal in California.

People feel very entitled in the USA, expect to have a door opened on ya in the rest of the states.

I'll split/filter in hot as hell states like Nevada and Arizona, if there isn't a good reason for it I don't do it outside of California where drivers are used to it.
The irony is very strong in this post
__________________
"What could possibly go wrong? " The Jerk
2012 TE 250
2010 F 650 GS
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
larryboy
Chopper Rider
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: On a set of 50,000 mile tires.
Oddometer: 14,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
The irony is very strong in this post

Ever been in Vegas or Phoenix in the summer? You'll die if you just sit in traffic, it's expected but illegal, filter/split.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
JRP
Old guy
 
JRP's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Hampden, MA
Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Ever been in Vegas or Phoenix in the summer? You'll die if you just sit in traffic, it's expected but illegal, filter/split.
Actualy..yes, in Mesa. Not much to see on highways anyway, I stick to backroads.

My point was that you feel drivers are "entitled" but somehow riders are not if they feel they should split/filter.

Need to ride to work? Get up earlier and take backroads, more fun amyway.
__________________
"What could possibly go wrong? " The Jerk
2012 TE 250
2010 F 650 GS
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
el queso
toda su base
 
el queso's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: colinas del norte, california sur
Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Ever been in Vegas or Phoenix in the summer? You'll die if you just sit in traffic, it's expected but illegal, filter/split.
Had that problem going through Zion NP last year. 105 degrees and a mixture of lookie-loos and drivers who must of felt it was their right to drive 15 mph on a one lane, no passing road. I had o pull over and let the bike cool once, and I may have crossed a double yellow at some point...
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
RedReplicant
whynot
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Tempe, Az
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Ever been in Vegas or Phoenix in the summer? You'll die if you just sit in traffic, it's expected but illegal, filter/split.
I've been riding Phoenix daily for 20 years... never filtered. People here already drive crazy enough.
__________________
09 ZX6R - Speed touring on a block of wood
06 Daytona 675 - Track Bike
RedReplicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
Next year commencing late July I am intending to ride around the USA, starting and finishing in Portland, Oregon. In reading up on the road rules in the many states I will be passing through, it is evident that lane splitting/filtering is not legal in many of them. In others, the statute seems to be silent on the matter.

I differentiate between lane splitting and filtering. The former is high speed and often dangerous, while filtering is low speed between cagers that are moving very slowly or stopped. Filtering is something I do 98% of the time; lane splitting very rarely. Query whether the traffic enforcers draw any distinction between the two?

In any event, it is inevitable that on my trip I will encounter situations where I want/need to filter. My question to inmates is: If Mr Plod the policeman pulls me over for the heinous crime of filtering, what are the likely, possible or probable consequences? Especially when he (or she) sees my Australian license and address.

Any experiences you can share?

Thanks and regards.
I can only relate what happened when I got pulled, on my Austrian plated bike with a UK driving licence, for speeding. I was put in the patrol car, driven to an ATM and made to pay an "on the spot fine".

As for whitelining, I did it in NYC with no problems, but when I hit a big traffic jam leading up to the Hoover Dam (so not in a city) I took my lead from other bikers and decided not to.

I stayed off the interstates for the most part, and encountered very few occasions when I felt that whitelining would have been quicker.
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I can only relate what happened when I got pulled, on my Austrian plated bike with a UK driving licence, for speeding. I was put in the patrol car, driven to an ATM and made to pay an "on the spot fine".
Seriously? I have not heard of that is many many years! What state were you in at the time?

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,965
The official law in Ca. is no more than 5 mph over traffic speed and no faster than 30 mph (not that any of that is enforced unless there's a wreck).
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,690
Be careful and when/if you get pulled over just be jovial and nice. You will likely be let go with a warning due to that funny accent of yours.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
larryboy
Chopper Rider
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: On a set of 50,000 mile tires.
Oddometer: 14,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
The official law in Ca. is no more than 5 mph over traffic speed and no faster than 30 mph (not that any of that is enforced unless there's a wreck).


That isn't true, but this is the 'myths' forum.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,690
I thought it was 15 over traffic speed.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
That isn't true, but this is the 'myths' forum.




wow, thanks! I just looked it up, and all it says is in a "safe and prudent manner". I guess I can worry a bit less when I do it at higher speeds!

Also, sorry for the bum info.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 5,143
IMO, traffic laws, cop attitudes, and driver attitudes are too disparate to discuss the USA as a whole.

You might get away with it quite a lot if you can fib a little. "Sorry, mate, I'm on holiday from down under and this is the first real traffic I've hit, didn't even think about it- it's how we ride." But keep pushing and you're going to get cited for it, sooner or later.

Duck is right, sort of. Most 'merkin drivers are OK. But quite a lot of them do not like you "getting ahead" of them. I've seen more road rage due to lanes merging than anywhere else. Even in California, outside the really big cities, they're not really used to lane splitting and may react poorly to it.

Coupled with the standard randomness of turn signal use and driver inattentiveness, plus the fact we all appear to drive on the wrong side of the road*- proceed with caution.

While I understand there are big cities you may wish to visit, there's not much planning required to do your riding through them during times when lane splitting won't really be necessary.


*That's just an optical illusion, because you're in the Northern Hemisphere. Carry on.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014