Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
SoftRider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
dilemma, urgent advice needed

Hey all, and happy new year,
I am now in Pisco, 240 km. south of Lima,Peru.
I am concerned about my front sprocket which has started to look worn. I dont carry an extra unfourtanetely.
The back sprocket wear and chain slack when lifted from back sprocket are almost no existent. So basically its only the front sprocket that is the issue, which makes sense when is has to roll 3 times as much as the back sprocket for the same distance travelled and also the force is distributed from the front.

The dilemma is that the next chance I get for changing the sprocket(s) are in Santiago, Chile which is roughly 4000 km (2500 miles) away.

I just came form Lima and just now I realized that I might need a new sprocket soon and the next avalilable one would probably be in Santiago, Chile. I should have changed the sprocket in Lima when I had the change.
I can now either head back to Lima (240 km) north. Have a new sprocket installed, and then head back to here to continue east towards Cusco, Peru. A detour of 480 km. and 2 days driving in this traffic.
Or I can continue on the current sprocket and change them in Santiago, Chile.

Take a look at the pictures and video here, and tell me what you think I should do.
The big question is: how far can I push the front sprocket before it completely fails on me. I dont want to be stranded in the desert somewhere say in 2000 km. away. Bear in mind that I oil the chain often. I travelled on this sprocket and chain set from Solvang, CA.

https://www.box.com/s/b3689o667yr3920fhp3s

https://www.box.com/s/a8zwy9wmlv9ln9i1svir

https://www.box.com/s/tkplscr0dr5brvkraiur

Sincerely,
Jesper Rasmussen
jras8000@yahoo.dk

SoftRider screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 09:06 AM
SoftRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftRider View Post
Hey all, and happy new year,
I am now in Pisco, 240 km. south of Lima,Peru.
I am concerned about my front sprocket which has started to look worn. I dont carry an extra unfourtanetely.
The back sprocket wear and chain slack when lifted from back sprocket are almost no existent. So basically its only the front sprocket that is the issue, which makes sense when is has to roll 3 times as much as the back sprocket for the same distance travelled and also the force is distributed from the front.

The dilemma is that the next chance I get for changing the sprocket(s) are in Santiago, Chile which is roughly 4000 km (2500 miles) away.

I just came form Lima and just now I realized that I might need a new sprocket soon and the next avalilable one would probably be in Santiago, Chile. I should have changed the sprocket in Lima when I had the change.
I can now either head back to Lima (240 km) north. Have a new sprocket installed, and then head back to here to continue east towards Cusco, Peru. A detour of 480 km. and 2 days driving in this traffic.
Or I can continue on the current sprocket and change them in Santiago, Chile.

Take a look at the pictures and video here, and tell me what you think I should do.
The big question is: how far can I push the front sprocket before it completely fails on me. I dont want to be stranded in the desert somewhere say in 2000 km. away. Bear in mind that I oil the chain often. I travelled on this sprocket and chain set from Solvang, CA.

https://www.box.com/s/b3689o667yr3920fhp3s

https://www.box.com/s/a8zwy9wmlv9ln9i1svir

https://www.box.com/s/tkplscr0dr5brvkraiur

Sincerely,
Jesper Rasmussen
jras8000@yahoo.dk
I personally don't have to look at your pictures and video. Because since you are concerned enough to ask about it, I think that it's serious enough and you kinda answered your question yourself. Peace of mind and all this kind of thing.

Especially when you compare a 480km (both ways) trip VS a 4000km ride where you'll cross some weird and rough environment.

Inconvenience VS real bad situation...

SgtDuster screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 10:05 AM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Usmcpilot
Ready to Ride

Oddometer: 60
Yes, I agree with SGT Duster. I was thinking you should just go for it as sprockets don't fail completely that often but after looking at the pics and considering the distance involved, the peace of mind is worth the 2 days. Get it changed before heading out.
Usmcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

Oddometer: 1,437
can you have someone in Lima mail you a sprocket to the half-way point?

How many miles are on the front already? I think it could go another 1500 miles easily, depending on how heavy your bike is.
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,636
Agreed -- get it changed. It's in bad enough shape it will take the chain down pretty quick, and, at the same time, the rear sprocket.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

Oddometer: 1,437
for the record, I actually do agree and think you should go back... or at least get one mailed half way... BUT, I also think it'll go a while longer - with side effects (worn chain, worn rear sprocket, etc).
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,446
looks fine to me, the front sprocket picture shows some wear, but not enough to turn back, continue on my friend
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
AMSBIKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Make one?

Just a thought. Can you not maybe have one made up as you have the original? Just a thought.

Many years ago I had a similar prob on an old GSXR750. Pushed the front sprockets till it just spun on the chain with no drive (student no dosh) . Lasts longer then you think...

AB
AMSBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
You are likely to get a little more mileage from the existing sprocket but
if you have a stretched chain it will dramatically reduce the life of your new sprocket. If at all possible, replace all three components at the same time. It's a simple job and not that expensive.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
You worry to muchride onand yes I did look at the pictures.

BTW it looks so clean, do you ever lub it? Looks tight too but kind of hard to realy tell from the vid.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Your either on your way again or you turned back for a replacement on the date of this post?.Looked at the pictures,sprockets didn't look bad at all...alittle bit of wear but that's normal......take it easy if your still concerned,don't be "bang-in" through the gear box.Good luck.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
SoftRider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I turned back to Lima where I am now. I will try go get a new sprocket and chain tomorrow although its new years day so it may be difficult.

I worry too much. I know. But I am about to go into uncharted terrotery and my life can worst case senario depend on weather my bike will keep running or not. Im not trying to be dramatic. Just realistic. The Bolivian and Chilian antiplato is waiting...

Happy new year to all. And again , thanks a bunch for your input.

Jesper
SoftRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftRider View Post
I turned back to Lima where I am now. I will try go get a new sprocket and chain tomorrow although its new years day so it may be difficult.

I worry too much. I know. But I am about to go into uncharted terrotery and my life can worst case senario depend on weather my bike will keep running or not. Im not trying to be dramatic. Just realistic. The Bolivian and Chilian antiplato is waiting...

Happy new year to all. And again , thanks a bunch for your input.

Jesper
You're the guy who lives with the consequences of whatever you decide, and in unfamiliar territory. Do what you think is best.