Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
greywolves OP
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Oddometer: 105
Laugh Pole Barn Ideas , SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!

Whats up Guys!

Just saw the post about insulating a roof on a barn.
AND - it made me send this in about the actual experience/knowledge/ideas of everyone who's ever:

Built one.
Had one built.
Or even LOOKING to have one built as I am.

I've been SCOURING the internet for a few weeks now with no REAL good information found. The only things usually found are pictures of buildings "the particular company" built and ONLY from the outside. Maybe a few color chips, etc.

Looking for ANY and ALL SUGGESTIONS!!!

1) Am planning on mostly using this for storage and a place to work on bikes, cars, tractor, etc. Would like to eventually have an automotive lift of some sort in there.
2) Would possibly like to build tall enough to put a storage area or "LOFT" on a second level.DEFINITE concrete floor.
3) MAYBE some windows(?) and a second garage door at opposite end.

SO I'm ASKING for exactly what YOU did when you built yours? Including even the basic materials - poles-steel-doors,windows, etc.
WHAT would you NOT do again?
WHAT have you seen that you would've liked to do but didn't think of or didn't have the $$$?
SEEN any GOOD sites to actually build it on the computer?
ALSO who built yours - recommended, NOT recommended?

WHAT ELSE AM I MISSING???

Looking to get something built by the end of next summer - DEPENDING??? There are a lot of fellas with firsthand knowledge on this subject - maybe even a builder(?) - and I sure would like to use some of your EXPERTISE to help someone like me with very limited brain power!

You can pm me IF you'd rather not answer here - BUT - I've searched this site and MAYBE we can start a SUPER "POLE BARN" thread.

ANY and ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

THANKS
Dane
greywolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,152
Jeez, where do I start with the bitchfest.....

I'll be back later with details about my experience.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
greywolves OP
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Jeez, where do I start with the bitchfest.....

I'll be back later with details about my experience.
PLEASE come back when you can - I wanna hear it ALL!!! You'd be helpin a brother out!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,085
Go over to GarageJournal and check out the forums. You might want to take a few days off though for all the info.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
greywolves OP
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46 View Post
Go over to GarageJournal and check out the forums. You might want to take a few days off though for all the info.
THANK YOU MY MAN!

Joined as soon as I read your reply!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
1Gopokes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
pole barn

I have had 2 in Colo at 2 different houses.

1)1st was built in a gully by PO that became a river every spring. nice big 30x40 bran shitty location..lesson learned check out your area well

2) I built one my self at current house 20x40 with overhangs on both side to park stuff under... lesson learned build it bigger ( you will have more $$ latter) I poured the floor ( nonweight bearing latter, that way is an ag building per local building code) I pulled a permit when I wired it and they never asked about the building ( ag)

make it wider / bigger 20 may be 2 car garage with but not wide enough when you are working on vehicle project to park another vehicle
1Gopokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
greywolves OP
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gopokes1 View Post
I have had 2 in Colo at 2 different houses.

2) I built one my self at current house 20x40 with overhangs on both side to park stuff under... lesson learned build it bigger ( you will have more $$ latter) I poured the floor ( nonweight bearing latter, that way is an ag building per local building code) I pulled a permit when I wired it and they never asked about the building ( ag)

make it wider / bigger 20 may be 2 car garage with but not wide enough when you are working on vehicle project to park another vehicle

I'm LIMITED to 2400sq. ft because of "codes" where I live BUT there is NO limit on building it taller.....

Thanks for input!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Check out Morton Buildings. They have a good line of designs and a "pole" barn is easier to finish out inside since all the structure is wood and easier to attach the interior onto when you decide to finish it out. Several friends of mine have made hangar homes from the Morton buildings with the aircraft below and the living quarters above. Very nice!!!

+1 on thinking about your size since it will fill up pretty quick. I built a 3,575 sq ft pre-engineered metal building (fully insulated) and I really like it although I had to erect standard studs inside when I built the office, kitchen and bathroom inside. Otherwise it cost 27K for the building and 8K for the concrete. I did the wiring, plumbing and 16x28 apartment construction inside. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
greywolves OP
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
Check out Morton Buildings. They have a good line of designs and a "pole" barn is easier to finish out inside since all the structure is wood and easier to attach the interior onto when you decide to finish it out. Several friends of mine have made hangar homes from the Morton buildings with the aircraft below and the living quarters above. Very nice!!!

+1 on thinking about your size since it will fill up pretty quick. I built a 3,575 sq ft pre-engineered metal building (fully insulated) and I really like it although I had to erect standard studs inside when I built the office, kitchen and bathroom inside. Otherwise it cost 27K for the building and 8K for the concrete. I did the wiring, plumbing and 16x28 apartment construction inside. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.
WILL check them out today! Pics of anything would be AWESOME!!!

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
Try Lowe's or Home Depot or Barnes and Noble. Check the book sections at the big box stores. You can stand there and browse through it and toss it back on the rack if you aren't happy with the info in it. Better than ordering it and being disappointed and having to ship it back if you do it.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,152
Here is the short version:

# 1 would be whomever you pick to build it, make sure you go and see a few of their recent buildings and talk to the owners of the building.

#2 would be to make sure they know how to pour concrete if they are doing it. On mine all they did was put in metal strips in between the 3 stalls and there are cracks running all different directions. It needs to be done right: slots cut in the concrete every so often so it cracks at the bottom of the slots. Mine also is not even close to level. The slab they poured out in the front of one bay doesn't have any fall to it so the water runs back into the shop. They came back and glued down rubber threshholds to stop that and put them on backwards so the water that ran down the overhead doors ran into the shop.

I told them I wanted 8' high doors and after it was built they had to install special low clearance doors because they didn't build the thing tall enough.

The roof leaked at the peak in one section because the roof panels were cut too short and didn't protrude far enough under the crown piece.

The only other thing I can think of that I actually did right was to have a piece of big conduit in place before they poured the concrete so I could get the underground wires into the shop for the interior wiring.

I would also bury some big metal pipe with a flat plate that had threaded holes into the floor before they poured concrete to mount a tire changer, tube bender, etc.

Good luck and make sure you have everything down in writing that you want done.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
I modeled mine using google sketchup. Sent this picture around to a few mfgs to get some quotes. After I started hearing back from them, I'd search google and BBB for bad reviews. Some of these mfgs are crooks!

Photobucket
Had the slab poured my a mason I'd used in the past, I knew it would be flat and the bolts set to print.

Wife and I slaved most of last summer and bolted it together. First time I've worked with steel. Pretty easy. The wainscot was a lot of extra work, but worth it. Same with the insulation and the three skylights. PITA, but I am glad I added those options.
I spend most my time working under the lean-to. Keeps all the sawdust, grinding sparks outside!

30x60 with 15' lean-to. 12' at the eaves, 15' at the inside peak, tall enough inside for a carlift. 8', 10' and 12' overhead rollup doors. I could have left out a couple windows, but I am glad I have three panels of skylights on the south facing roof. Usually dont even turn on a light until after dusk. Bought mine from Renegade Buildings. Many of these companies are just designers and salesmen. The heavy architecture work is done by the steel mill. I had contacted 3 companies, all of them were coming from the same exact mill.

KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
greywolves OP
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
I modeled mine using google sketchup. Sent this picture around to a few mfgs to get some quotes. After I started hearing back from them, I'd search google and BBB for bad reviews. Some of these mfgs are crooks!

Had the slab poured my a mason I'd used in the past, I knew it would be flat and the bolts set to print.

Wife and I slaved most of last summer and bolted it together. First time I've worked with steel. Pretty easy. The wainscot was a lot of extra work, but worth it. Same with the insulation and the three skylights. PITA, but I am glad I added those options.
I spend most my time working under the lean-to. Keeps all the sawdust, grinding sparks outside!

30x60 with 15' lean-to. 12' at the eaves, 15' at the inside peak, tall enough inside for a carlift. 8', 10' and 12' overhead rollup doors. I could have left out a couple windows, but I am glad I have three panels of skylights on the south facing roof. Usually dont even turn on a light until after dusk. Bought mine from Renegade Buildings. Many of these companies are just designers and salesmen. The heavy architecture work is done by the steel mill. I had contacted 3 companies, all of them were coming from the same exact mill.
That's a BEAUTY!

What kind of $$$ price difference is building a "REAL STEEL" building as opposed to a wooden Pole Barn?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
"kit" was $22,000, delivered. I gave a neighbor $100 to unload it with his forklift. I added 5 windows from Lowes ($250) and cement floor, 5.5"thick with fiber reinforcement ($6500). I had the local HS electric shop class wire it ($800), outlets and T8 lights everywhere and a few 220v outlets for the welders.

The wainscot was optional as was the corner trim, 12" overhangs, and gutters/downspouts.

I asked a few local companies to quote a traditional lumber and tin polebarn to similar specs. Most were $40,000 or more, turn key. Cement slab was 4" contractor grade. I just couldn't justify that much money for some of the crap workmanship I saw. Saying that, I have seen Morton buildings that were beautiful, I'd get one of those if I hadn't gone steel.

We did the labor ourselves and I ended up with a much nicer building. It took us about 2.5 months of evenings and weekends, just me and my Wife. Used a small frontend loader and a scaffold I bought on Craigslist.
I'd build another, I learned a lot of tricks that would make the next one easier. Wife says NO WAY!!! ( My Dad is considering one next year)

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
has PAGES of discussion on this.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
Build the floor clear span.....Damn supports take up a lot of room......

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote