Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
jackc1027 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
How much $$$ for approx year long trip around the US?

I am considering a trip in May of 2013 around the US for about a year, no indefinite time frame really, I really just want to get on the road and ride. Money will be an issue, and I was wondering about how much do you experienced guys think I would need for a trip this long?? I am 26 years old, and plan on doing this as cheaply as possible. I plan on buying a tent, couch surfing, using the thread on this forum for places to stay, possibly WWOOFing for extended stays and meals, NO hotels/motels, buying/cooking all of my food, and even working odd jobs for some cash while I am on the road.

I have been reading through the thread also on how to travel cheap and safely, LOTS of good info in there!!
jackc1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackc1027 View Post
I am considering a trip in May of 2013 around the US for about a year, no indefinite time frame really, I really just want to get on the road and ride. Money will be an issue, and I was wondering about how much do you experienced guys think I would need for a trip this long?? I am 26 years old, and plan on doing this as cheaply as possible. I plan on buying a tent, couch surfing, using the thread on this forum for places to stay, possibly WWOOFing for extended stays and meals, NO hotels/motels, buying/cooking all of my food, and even working odd jobs for some cash while I am on the road.

I have been reading through the thread also on how to travel cheap and safely, LOTS of good info in there!!
My Father and 3 buddies left Superior Wisconsin in 1926 for a hardscrabble grand mystery tour of the west. They were 23-year-old chums from schooldays and were gone nearly 2 years. They drove a model T Ford and worked as they went; Places like Glacier Park, steel mills, Gates Rubber etc. They saw the west up close and personal...in 1926/7... That special adventure instilled a wanderlust for his eventual spouse and the generations they made after that. Our wanderlust is always held close to our hearts.

Don't even ask. Just do it.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:

Dude, WWOOFing sounds like a great opportunity! I spent 35 days on the road last December and went from Tampa Florida to Alamogordo NM and spent about 1,800.00 for the trip. This included fuel, a few hotels, more fuel, food, and a set of tires. It was about 7,800 miles total. Slept next to the bike most of the time in a camp ground. When I didn't have access to a shower I would spent 10.00 at a truck stop and get a nice hot shower and blow up the shitter.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Blindstitch
Supertanker Captain

This is a real tough call. Some people can't go a week without spending $1000 and others can do it on pennies.

The biggest cost for you along the way will probably be food for you and the bike. If you can learn to eat cheaply making simple meals you should be able to keep the costs down.

Do you plan on stealth camping or campground camping? If you're doing the stealth camping there are forums that try to point out every legal free place like churches or certain city parks. I was going to do it from Milwaukee to Denver and back but ran into problems on that. Then the next trip was 10 days to and from St. Louis and the places I ran into for camping were cheap like $11 a day. In some places I could have probably just went for free asking gas stations and other places near grass lots.

But no matter what you think it will cost make sure you have a friend, family member or extra credit card that can get you money. Bikes break down, people break down and times can get tough. But times can also be great.

On thing I learned is research the area you're going if possible. When I lived in the U.P. of michigan free camping was everywhere but in Milwaukee it isn't.
ATGATT makes riding a bike like a sled easier.
Blindstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
jackc1027 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
My Father and 3 buddies left Superior Wisconsin in 1926 for a hardscrabble grand mystery tour of the west. They were 23-year-old chums from schooldays and were gone nearly 2 years. They drove a model T Ford and worked as they went; Places like Glacier Park, steel mills, Gates Rubber etc. They saw the west up close and personal...in 1926/7... That special adventure instilled a wanderlust for his eventual spouse and the generations they made after that. Our wanderlust is always held close to our hearts.

Don't even ask. Just do it.
I gotta say, that is a pretty amazing story. It's pretty much exactly what I want to do, only solo, on two wheels.

The last part is probably some of the best advice I have gotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Dude, WWOOFing sounds like a great opportunity! I spent 35 days on the road last December and went from Tampa Florida to Alamogordo NM and spent about 1,800.00 for the trip. This included fuel, a few hotels, more fuel, food, and a set of tires. It was about 7,800 miles total. Slept next to the bike most of the time in a camp ground. When I didn't have access to a shower I would spent 10.00 at a truck stop and get a nice hot shower and blow up the shitter.
$1,800 in just over a month!! That amount would put me at flat broke in about two months! However, if you had hotel's, tires, expenses I am hoping to avoid, hopefully I can do it on quite a bit less. I have never WWOOF'd before, however I did just setup a profile on a helpxchange website only for WWOOFing. Even thing's like the $10 shower, I will be trying to avoid. I will really be relying on Couchsurfing and other's whenever possible for things like showering and whatever else is offered while on the road.
jackc1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
I gotta say, that is a pretty amazing story. It's pretty much exactly what I want to do, only solo, on two wheels.

The last part is probably some of the best advice I have gotten.

$1,800 in just over a month!! That amount would put me at flat broke in about two months! However, if you had hotel's, tires, expenses I am hoping to avoid, hopefully I can do it on quite a bit less. I have never WWOOF'd before, however I did just setup a profile on a helpxchange website only for WWOOFing. Even thing's like the $10 shower, I will be trying to avoid. I will really be relying on Couchsurfing and other's whenever possible for things like showering and whatever else is offered while on the road.
so you have about $3600 then?? that would only allow $10/day, hard to figure how you would fuel yourself and your bike on that amount even with no other expenses....though as was said many have hit the road and made it work somehow with what they had. Since you have a year it might be worth thinking about touring on a bicycle rather than a motorcycle, much less expensive and equally enjoyable in my experience (have done a LOT of bicycle touring)

victor441 screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 10:48 AM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
What kind of work can you do?
Woofing is a good way to start, maybe get some seasonal work and just live for free. You can spend years drifting around the USA.
Custom cutting is another way of living cheap if you can run a combine harvester.
If your good you'll get $3K/month and all expenses paid. Starting out you might get half. You have a lot of time off and you get to see the country.

http://youtu.be/ASgAzoto3Tg

wheatwhacker screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 02:44 AM
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
What kind of work can you do?
Woofing is a good way to start, maybe get some seasonal work and just live for free. You can spend years drifting around the USA.
Custom cutting is another way of living cheap if you can run a combine harvester.
If your good you'll get $3K/month and all expenses paid. Starting out you might get half. You have a lot of time off and you get to see the country.

http://youtu.be/ASgAzoto3Tg
Woofing? Is there a lack of people who can bark in America? And what sort of salary can a woofer expect?

Sorry, just had to be a smartass. I'm assuming you meant "Roofing."

Just about any construction trade can land you a temp job, depending on the region of the country you're in.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
ThanatosF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Woofing? Is there a lack of people who can bark in America? And what sort of salary can a woofer expect?

Sorry, just had to be a smartass. I'm assuming you meant "Roofing."

Just about any construction trade can land you a temp job, depending on the region of the country you're in.
WWOOF: World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms

http://www.wwoof.org/
ThanatosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
MarGyver
Ruteros De Chiapas

Oddometer: 38
Make that trip around Mexico, and you will be able to ride for 2 years with the same amount...
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,019
When I did my longest ride, into Mexico, I budgeted $100 per day. That is a full day of riding and real food. I camped a lot, but was not on a ramen diet, and used motels when it got cold.

I had $3000 so figured I could stay out 30 days. I was able to save enough to extend my trip another 3 weeks, but I did dip into my reserve, from home, when I encountered very cold weather and used motels. Anyhow, I averaged about $75 a day while traveling. I had a week of sitting still or low mileage days. Sitting still lowers the average quite a bit, as does low mileage days.

The cost of gas and food has gone up quite a bit in the last few years.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,300
The end of june 2013 my GF and I are hitting the road for a year also. Were not spring chickens, well, one of us isnt. I am gonna be 50, she is gonna be 30!!
We have several pre-paid planned mini vacations built into our trip, ( 10 day cruise to Alaska, 7 night stay at a time share in Cabo for Xmas 2014.
We plan on being in the $75 a day range, so it will ad up quickly. We dont plan to live large,then again, we dont want to say no to anything that arises, but fuel, sleeps, foods, entertainment, its not for nothing when your away from your regular comfort zone.
Our total budget for the year, considering we expect to have some days that cost less, and some that cost more, we have $35,000 set asise for the dream adventure of our lifetime.

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourty2ri View Post
Were not spring chickens, well, one of us isnt. I am gonna be 50, she is gonna be 30!!
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Laugh

wow.... all this reading has now motivated me to save up money and travel too...arggg

hmm maybe get 10k, and ride the US for a year..?

im determined now !!

So I did some math. Would 15,000 dollars last me a cheap year riding the 50 states ?

That's be a saving of $241 biweekly until June 2015=15k ish

nuttynu screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 12:32 AM
nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Gas will add up quick too

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote