Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Home made GPS logger

Please go easy on me

I finally had some time at work today so I've put my long awaited GPS logger together. It is an Arduino microcontroller based device. It basically has a microcontroller, GPS module and temperature sensor. Before you ask why bother when your smartphone or GPS can do it, my answer is because I can, it's cheap and it's smart, plus it runs for 24 hours on a 9 volt battery or you can just hook it up to your bike's battery. I haven't boxed it yet but it will be about the size of a small cigarette pack roughly.

What it does:

It saves your track to an SD card which I can import with a simple program I wrote. Given that you have internet connection, it displays your track on Google map and saves it to Google earth. It also displays all relevant info like your speed, changes in altitude. You can just keep adding to one track and display 20 days' worth of riding in one sitting,or do it just daily,hourly etc..... I guess you can use it for hiking too if that's what you fancy or stick it on your dog's collar. Screen shot of the software for it

This weekend I'll pimp it out by adding Bluetooth so I can just download it and view it on my phone. I'm just doing the program for it for Android and Windoz phone for the wife.

GPS isn't 100% for altitude but it will have to do. It will be handy when I hit the Rockies this spring

If anyone wants to tinker, when it's done i'll post a recipe and all software required.

Whattcha think???
zozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Laugh GPS Logger. Very slick

Just reading in Equipment and saw this. Very slick. An individual made this? You must be a very handy fellow. I am not so I doubt your follow up parts list and info will help me much...I use my GPS and Ham radio for APRS but I think you might be on to something...if you start making "kits" for the 'less able' then I'm SURE people would be interested.
Thanks for posting. Very cool. Carry on.
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah I made it VA3ZOL here.
APRS kinda sucks if you are out in the bush with no repeaters nearby. I use my 5 watt HT APRS rigs but 5 watts won't get you far plus you need a ham license. This is good for everyone.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Pretty cool. Be sure to post more info as you continue..

I started playing around with an Arduino Uno about a year ago and have had fun with it.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 439
Please share, I would love to build one.
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Hughes500Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I like it... Subscribed. -Steve
Hughes500Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll have it in a box today. I think the temp sensor will go cause it's useless???
Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozie View Post
I'll have it in a box today. I think the temp sensor will go cause it's useless???
Keep the temp sender, or at least I would. I have done many rides where there has been huge temperature swings and I was always curious as to how much. But that's just me.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #9
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozie View Post
If anyone wants to tinker, when it's done i'll post a recipe and all software required.

Whattcha think???

I"ve been wondering if I wanted to use a Raspberry PI to make a combined dashboard and large-screen GPS. Think of it -- with my skill I can have them both go out with a single fault. Then you put the GPS part on an Arduino.

Awesome.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So here is what it looks like in a crude form

The only thing missing from the picture are the LED for status indication, and I put 3 buttons on it. One for ON/OFF, one for start/stop logging and one for pause. Pause is cool if you stop for gas but you don't want the stop to deteriorate your average speed:

I'm gonna design a board for it which will be about 1.5x2" and stick it in a waterproof plastic box with the LED and buttons outside. Gotta find some clamps to make it handlebar mountable and shake proof in case it's mounted on a Harley or a KLR
Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
rhlrdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Post up some more info on this, pretty cool...
rhlrdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's in box now. Once I make a custom board for it, it will get much smaller but I won't bother until the snow melts so I can actually use it on my bike
Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
This is pretty cool. ... subscribed ...

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm thinking of setting up a web service for it. If there are others using it, everyone can upload their tracks to it, then you can compare your trip with others' by username or geographical area or even by bike type, then we could all argue who got better average and top speeds for any given trips
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wicked

So... I did some more work on it.

I've added logging for peak altitude, lowest altitude along with peaks for temps as well.

Then I got carried away and started toying with the idea of adding a small LCD for it.

Using an LCD, you could display your altitude and temp real-time along with your current and average GPS speed as well as your voltage. The display sucks power so it would only be worth it if you wired it to your battery, but this would help you keep an eye on your charging system.

I had to change the GPS module because the current one I'm using takes forever to get a lock when it's cold outside. The new module locks in less than 30 seconds and it's pretty effin cold outside right now. That and the LCD has boosted total parts cost to about $97