User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
"Ride to Ride Again"

Do you folks ever think about how long we will be able to enjoy dirt biking? (and other forms of motorcycling for that matter). Do you ever think about the risk/reward tradeoffs of dirt riding? I'm in my 50's now and trying to be wise about adventure sports. I want to do them for a long time - "Lord willing and if the creek don't rise!" :)

Was on a trail ride the other day. Adv inmate, "Juniors KTM", was on the ride. He's also an offroad racer evidently can ride fast woods rider based on his racing classifications. But, on our ride he was taking it easy, standing on the pegs most of the time. Looked like a trials rider trying not to daub a foot. After the ride I complimented him on not trying to haul butt on the ride and that he was cleaning most all of the tough sections.

He told me the story of meeting an 87 year old dirt biker that was an awesome guy. Said his advice was "Ride to Ride Again" Juniors KTM - said it's harder to ride slow well than just to ride fast and he thinks riding "trials style" on a dirt bike is one of the best ways to improve riding ability anyway. Don't get me wrong, he was not riding super slow. He was just going slower that he could have and cleaning sections.

I like this approach to the sport and think it can extend our dirt bike riding careers - thoughts?

mikem9 screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 08:45 AM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
reminds me of:
there are old riders and bold riders, but there are no old bold riders
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
I like this advice. The older I get the more I enjoy slower tight single track riding with fallen logs and other obstacles.
Perhaps more technical and less balls than when younger but I don't go down as often and when I do I'm usually going slower.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
I am 64 next week. I ride a wr250r and a KTM 690r. They are set up well for the type if riding I do. That is mostly double track and I work very hard at not hurting myself. I have learned this past year that I am more capable than I thought, tho. I don't need to be as timid as I am.

Still, I'm not climbing rock gardens and rolling boulders unless I have to. I like a less stressful ride these days.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
The Roadie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorat View Post
reminds me of:
there are old riders and bold riders, but there are no old bold riders
I am not trying to give advice by any means.. (I'm still very young and have no business on this thread) But I thought it was funny I run across this thread right as I am watching "dust to glory" and they begin to talk about a 65 year old man, tearing it up in the baja 1000... So it looks like you guys have the right idea (finding your own pace) but in the end I think doing what you love is best. That is what this guy is doing, and at his age that is impressive to see such ballsy riding being in the baja 1000 and all, but that is what he loves to do. So I guess you can be a "old bold rider."
The Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,259
As a friend of mine once pointed out, the throttle goes both ways. The road /trail you are on also does and you choose where you go. You also choose who you ride with. I have always been a proponent of riding your own ride. The object of these bikes is to have fun on them..
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
I don't think the attitude we are discussing is to ride timidly or slow. Just slower than our limits of ability. I consider it a good ride if we've had a lot of fun and we don't need to visit a doctor during or after the ride.

mikem9 screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 08:00 AM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
I don't think the attitude we are discussing is to ride timidly or slow. Just slower than our limits of ability. I consider it a good ride if we've had a lot of fun and we don't need to visit a doctor during or after the ride.
Exactly. On my last offroad ride we were typically doing 80+ on two track and gravel. Trust me, nobody was slowing down. Then we came to a tricky little stream crossing and nearly vertical bluff on the other side. We had all done it ten years ago when we last rode that trail.

You have to cross a small bridge over a stream then make a hard turn and go nearly vertical up a bluff for maybe 20'. One guy tried and helmet surfed to the bottom. The rest of us bypassed it. I just don't enjoy crawling out from under a 300 pound dual sport and wrestling up out of a creek anymore.

Now if I had been on the MXC......
Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
juniorsktm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Exactly. There have been some really good comments in this tread, but as Mike said, we are merely suggesting that we enjoy a little slower than "race pace" for longevity in the sport when out adventure or DS riding. Trust me, this group we ride with is comprised of many B-A GNCC, SETRA HS and Enduro riders and past champs.....i think we are just suggesting to leave the racing at the races. Nobody wins practice!

Great thread Mike! I am enjoying it!

as always, Ride to Ride again!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,259
Of course the bike is just as fast as it always was. The big thing that I noticed in the last few years is that my vision is not even close to as good as it used to be. That alone was enough to slow me down a lot. Actually I am in better physical shape now than I was 20 years ago. I lost 56 lbs since I retired in 02 and started eating right and exercising. I weigh the same thing I did the day I graduated from high school now. Just no reason to race anyone on trail rides now. By the time you are 63 you should have your ego under control.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
juniorsktm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Ride to ride again

Thanks for the words Mike!

Yup, there are definatley times and places for race speeds.....like in a race! Adventures and DS rides are always about the ride and the fellowship. That being said I have always enjoyed the pace of these rides to work on improving skills and not get lazy on the bike. I feel when you get too comfortable and lazy you aren't as sharp and bad things happen. So I try and make it fun.

Ride to ride again, words to live/ride by,

Braaap,

FF
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #12
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I'm 51. I used to be able to ride anywhere, and keep up with most people. We had a good time hauling ass through the woods, in the desert, and pretty much everywhere. I got out of it for a bit, a couple of years, then bought a KTM500MX, rode it for a while to get back up to speed, then a YZ250 2 stroke, which was a great bike. Then I bought an 06 YZ450F, brand new. And it seems that I start getting behind what the bike is doing, after a bunch of turns, I'm at least a turn behind what the bike is doing, I'm not keeping up with it. And scared the shit out of myself a couple of times, coming real close to bailing in a big way. So, I sort of backed away from it a bit, most of the guys I rode with quit riding, and eventually, traded the 450 off. But I recently bought a bicycle on the advise of my doctor, get some wind back and coordination and all, and I'm thinking KTM 300 in the next several months. I don't know if I'll be able to get back to the level I was at, but hopefully closer than I was on the 450. It seems like I lost some timing, coordination, and general fitness.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
I extended my off road career by going back to the Basics.

And I mean Basics, bought a Yamaha TW200, you know, the one with the fat tires.

MSF's favorite trainer, almost impossible to hurt yourself on.

Only downside besides it being a Yamaha, wish it was a 350.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 271
Thumb Older Rider

I am 54 and I have a KTM 520 for dirt and a KTM 990a for Adventure &road .
I still enjoy dirt and do ride slowish .
One of the guys i sometimes ride with is 53 and will ride fast and any hill challange , why i don't know ??????
I don't ride with him much as i have slowed down , the younger guy that i do ride with is 40 and always thanks me for a great enjoyable ride as he is a Very quick rider and dam good at it .
So as KTM Junior has been told to" Rideto Ride Again "
I will look forward to riding when i am in my 80 s .
Tezza
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #15
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Get in shape. Stay in shape.

Weight training, aerobic training, good diet (nothing processed), will take you a long, long way. Especially when you drop your ride and have to pull it out of a ditch.

When I taught my son how to dirt ride, we spent a lot of time picking through the woods on tight, slow trails.