User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
steveyak OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
picking 1st bike for the girl

Hey Guys looking for some unbiased input. We are looking to get my girl her first bike she is leaning in the sport direction. She is 5'8" so not a little girl, she has very little riding experience, I've just had her on little xr100 for the last few months. She's been doing really well, looking through turn getting used to controls. So a good student you could say. Ok so the question is do you think an sv650 is to much for someone to have as a first bike and still have a good learning curve, other option we were looking at is ninja 250. Open for suggestions but keep in mind the first bike will have a budget in the $2500 range so small gs's are out of the question on price alone.
Thanks for the input:
steveyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,056
If she has ample time on the 100cc, she should be fine on the 650cc, she will need to get used to it, but with a little time and effort she will be fine. Anything I can do on a 650cc, I learned on a 150cc. Some other questions to consider might be age-is her brain fully developed, particularly her front lobes, the decision making part of the brain? In essence is she going to be responsible enough to make quick decisions with a larger machine in a sketchy traffic or terrain. Secondly, how are her athletic skills in general? If she is naturally athletic she will have no problem adapting her skills and body to a larger bike. These are questions I always ask with my students and with my own kids + family.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
steveyak OP
Adventurer

good skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
If she has ample time on the 100cc, she should be fine on the 650cc, she will need to get used to it, but with a little time and effort she will be fine. Anything I can do on a 650cc, I learned on a 150cc. Some other questions to consider might be age-is her brain fully developed, particularly her front lobes, the decision making part of the brain? In essence is she going to be responsible enough to make quick decisions with a larger machine in a sketchy traffic or terrain. Secondly, how are her athletic skills in general? If she is naturally athletic she will have no problem adapting her skills and body to a larger bike. These are questions I always ask with my students and with my own kids + family.
She is a national champion skydiver, so she is pretty good with the quick decisions and/or pressure. What she is still lacking is the muscle memory, and natural reactions. She is very good about respecting her limits.
I have just been riding my whole life so I don't have that open thought to know if a 70hp bike would be alot to someone just starting out(intimidating) or if its what im thinking small enough, smooth enough power to have when you want but not so much to scare you that you may touch it by accident.
Thanks for the input again
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyak View Post
Hey Guys looking for some unbiased input. We are looking to get my girl her first bike she is leaning in the sport direction. She is 5'8" so not a little girl, she has very little riding experience, I've just had her on little xr100 for the last few months. She's been doing really well, looking through turn getting used to controls. So a good student you could say. Ok so the question is do you think an sv650 is to much for someone to have as a first bike and still have a good learning curve, other option we were looking at is ninja 250. Open for suggestions but keep in mind the first bike will have a budget in the $2500 range so small gs's are out of the question on price alone.
Thanks for the input:
Them are good choices, ya might wanta consider a GS500 'n EX500 too. (They can be had in her price range. )
In a perfect world, I think it's best to start out small 'n work her way up to larger bikes. Some peeps are content to ride an Ningette 250 for years, 'n sum folks "out grow" 'em right away.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
steveyak OP
Adventurer

that may be the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Them are good choices, ya might wanta consider a GS500 'n EX500 too. (They can be had in her price range. )
In a perfect world, I think it's best to start out small 'n work her way up to larger bikes. Some peeps are content to ride an Ningette 250 for years, 'n sum folks "out grow" 'em right away.
I forgot about gs500 that may be the perfect bike. I think better power range and same price range. thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
I don't understand the question... why would you ask about a motorcycle for a woman... why would a lady need such a thing? Exactly how far apart is your kitchen and dining room?
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
steveyak OP
Adventurer

haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
I don't understand the question... why would you ask about a motorcycle for a woman... why would a lady need such a thing? Exactly how far apart is your kitchen and dining room?
She is definitely not your average woman.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyak View Post
She is definitely not your average woman.
Well, I like her already...lol

As for the bike.. SV 650 hands down. Its comfortable, affordable, good on gas, insurance is much less than the 250 since its a "street bike" and not a "sport bike". They made a bagillion of them so when she drops it parts are cheap off Ebay. They are not sensitive when it comes to brakes, handling, throttle, or clutch so they make it easier to learn how to ride on the street.

If you really wanna play it safe, she can get the Ninja 250 and ride it for 6months then move on to the SV or similar bike.

BTW: I have done track days on a Ninja 250, they are anything but slow, just have to keep them wrapped up and in the right gear. In fact once I am done with school I am getting another one just for a track bike.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
steveyak OP
Adventurer

ins

Quote:
Well, I like her already...lol

As for the bike.. SV 650 hands down. Its comfortable, affordable, good on gas, insurance is much less than the 250 since its a "street bike" and not a "sport bike". They made a bagillion of them so when she drops it parts are cheap off Ebay. They are not sensitive when it comes to brakes, handling, throttle, or clutch so they make it easier to learn how to ride on the street.

If you really wanna play it safe, she can get the Ninja 250 and ride it for 6months then move on to the SV or similar bike.

BTW: I have done track days on a Ninja 250, they are anything but slow, just have to keep them wrapped up and in the right gear. In fact once I am done with school I am getting another one just for a track bike.
Good point about ins.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,336
My vote: EX500, GS500, Seca II, Bandit 600, SV650 (either version). Decent torque (doesn't have to be flogged) not too much power. Buy it cheap now, and if you take decent care of it and add a few farkles (I always do heated grips and a plug for battery charger / heated gear) you can sell for what you paid for it (or more) in 6-12 months... If she wants to. The Spouse Unit still misses her Seca II.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:

That's funny. Politically incorrect, but still funny!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
To add to what others have suggested...

Have her ride a Triumph Street Triple. It may be harder to find one and may be a little over your stated budget but it would be worth it IMO.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
If you are looking for dual sport TW200 or XT250.
Starting out big is tough let her get some time on a bike she can handle easily.

My wife rides the TW and daughter is on the XT (the wife is too short for the xt)
they will do every thing fine and they both have picked them up them selves after a mishap.

Now my wife is lookin for another bike unfortunately its is a Softtail Slim (but whatever floats her boat) but she says she isn't getting rid of the TW.

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,587
The most important thing to remember is this lady is learning to ride and this is her first bike, hopefully not her last. Riding is not natural to most people and developing the muscle memory and skills to be a good rider is a challenge for some. Why make things more difficult than they need to be.

There's probably rarely anyone that failed at learning to ride because they began on too small of a bike. There's a reason in almost every other country, riders are started on small bikes to learn. On the other hand, there are plenty of new riders that gave up or just never became good riders because they started on a bike that was too big and too powerful, and they just never got it. Boyfriends & husbands have a lot to do with this issue too making the wrong choice of starter bike for their lady. It sounds like the XR100 has been very positive so far, but that's probably just around the yard. Once she's on the street, she's got a whole new world to deal with. Keep it as easy as you can for her.

Now at 5'8", she has the height advantage on her side that many ladies don't have, but with that said, that doesn't instantly make her able to handle a larger bike. She just might not drop it as much since she has longer legs to catch it, but she'll still struggle just the same with newbie mistakes everyone makes. The real question is do you want her making these mistakes on a small docile easy to handle bike, or something more powerful and larger that can get away from her and get her discouraged or even hurt.

I actually think the Ninja 250 is a great learning bike. It has 2 very distinct personalities. Keep the RPM's under 6k and its very mellow and easy to ride and is so forgiving at even some of the most stupid mistakes new riders can make. Start revving it up near 10-12k+ RPM's and it actually moves out pretty well. Ridden aggressively, the Ninja 250 is actually a fairly quick bike. I'm 6'4", 250lbs and I did a 2500 mile trip on a Ninja 250, plus lots of around town riding. And just to debunk any myths, the Ninja 250 is easily capable of maintaining 80mph on the interstate with full size man on it. I think my wife and I have owned 5-6 Ninja 250's through the years because they are always so much fun to ride, and we enjoy stepping down to them to play on them. We have one in the garage right now that we are rebuilding as a project bike.

One of the things I like about a Ninja 250 is that because its so docile with low RPM's, once a new rider becomes comfortable with it, they can slowly start learning to ride it more aggressively and slowly build up what its like to "push" a bike a bit more and build those skills. Some riders never learn that starting on larger bikes and end up being very "timid riders" for years because they are too scared to actually get into the power of the bike.

Now, with her height ,the EX500 or GS500 might not be bad choices either if she'd rather have something with a little bit more power than the 250's, but not enough to be overwhelming. These bikes are a bit heavier, but her extra height should help her there.

However, I very strongly disagree that the SV650, Ninja 650 or any 600cc 4 cylinder sport bikes make good starting bikes. They are just too easy to screw up on when new riders make mistakes and they are learning, so they are going to make mistakes. The 650's make excellent 2nd bikes once someone becomes proficient with the basics, but not 1st bikes.

I've helped and seen a lot of ladies learn how to ride and the ones that usually do better are those that started small and learned the basics without being intimidated, and in the long run, they became better riders faster and developed a better set of skills to help them. Once they are comfortable on a small bike, every bike after that seems like a breeze to them.

Remember the most important thing again. She is learning to ride and I'm sure you want her to succeed. A small bike is not going to hold her back, but a big bike might.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 09:00 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post

However, I very strongly disagree that the SV650, Ninja 650 or any 600cc 4 cylinder sport bikes make good starting bikes. They are just too easy to screw up on when new riders make mistakes and they are learning, so they are going to make mistakes.
This tells me you have never ridden an SV650 or a Ninja 650 (both of which have only 2 cylinders)

I agree about the 600cc 4 cylinder sport bikes.

The SV650, Ninja 650 and a Triumph Street Triple all have very polite power delivery that a new rider would be able to easily get along with. Also, the geometry and ergonomics of the bikes are also good for a new rider as they all have an upright comfortable riding position.

This is not to discount the Ninja 250 in any way as they too are fine bikes. One can generally pick up a pre-owned one learn to ride and sell it for the same price they payed for it making it a Free starter bike. (provided it is not dropped)