ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
4-s-hsky OP
Just a simple farmer

Oddometer: 117
Rock River Ride near Dixon Illinois

Here is a track that starts and ends at the Veterans Memorial Park in Dixon Illinois that takes in many of the State parks and regional treasures that follow the Rock and Leaf Rivers. This route is best suited for a big bike. Lots of sporty pavement but there are short gravel and dirt road sections. When the sign post says “Devils Backbone Road” and “Wilderness Road” that should be a clue as to what lies ahead. The main track is 98 miles in length allowing ample daylight to spend time at waypoints and can be ridden either direction. All the State parks have campgrounds if you wish to make it an overnighter and I highly encourage a drive through all of the parks. Along the way you will see; Dixon’s history of Ronald Reagan, Byron’s nuclear power generating plant, the Indian statue at Lowden Park, bluff views of both sides of the Rock River, historic courthouse in Oregon, a climb above the river at Castle Rock Park Overlook, White Pines Park and Lodge, Lowell Park and numerous homespun services. There are three optional side trip tracks. A 15 mile loop to Polo for gas, food and a view of an old lime kiln, a two mile loop that crosses a wood deck bridge over a rail line and a 3 mile loop to the John Deere historic blacksmith shop in Grand Detour. Enjoy and because there are numerous blind intersections please, I beg of you, ride safely. Please note that version 2 of the .gpx was added May 2014 to include some additions and the closure of one dirt road.

Attached Files
File Type: gpx DixonILParksV2.gpx (54.5 KB, 53 views)

4-s-hsky screwed with this post 05-13-2014 at 07:23 PM Reason: updates
4-s-hsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
My wife is from a farm Dixon and I've spent great time exploring it. In fact we were married in Harmon. I love the Blackhawk statue. I'll be out there next month!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Geoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Nice pics. Did you see the Ronald Reagan's boyhood home?
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
4-s-hsky OP
Just a simple farmer

[QUOTE=Geoff;20436911]Nice pics. Did you see the Ronald Reagan's boyhood home?[/QUOTE

Dixon and the other towns along the way have numerous attractions to offer as well as many services. The waypoint list would be flooded if I included more favorites so I will let the users of this track research and decide what best interests them and their time schedule. Just remember, when you get to the overlook the urge to do so will overcome you but…..
Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
theBikeman
Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer: 79
Thanks for posting this. I grew up in Polo near Dixon. It's a great area for backroads.
To anyone doing this track be sure to check out the two Fjord water crossings in White Pines State Park on the route if the water's not too high.
-Bikeman

theBikeman screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 01:37 PM Reason: to link to photo
theBikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBikeman View Post
Thanks for posting this. I grew up in Polo near Dixon. It's a great area for backroads.
To anyone doing this track be sure to check out the two Fjord water crossings in White Pines State Park on the route if the water's not too high.
-Bikeman
Ha! I remember that park. There's some trails to follow (on foot) that lead to a railway.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,500
Thanks for posting tracks Terry! I know you've got some entertaining rides workled out in your area. Much appreciated!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
4-s-hsky OP
Just a simple farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Thanks for posting tracks Terry! I know you've got some entertaining rides workled out in your area. Much appreciated!
You are most welcome sir and thank you very kindly for checking up on me. I have to think there are others like me who ride some of their favorite nearby places in no particular order and at the end of the day think “You know I should really organize, track and waypoint that ride someday to share” and then life gets in the way preventing said recording. This winter has offered me some time to finally make good on that thought. Plus, there happens to be a certain Colonel who lives far north of me who has been a great teacher and inspiration. Giving back is what it’s all about for me. Hmm, I think I have one more in the hopper I should polish up. Be safe.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBikeman View Post
-Bikeman
Crossed that on a GSXR. Thing would slide to the side about a foot from end to end of it... water rolling up in front of the fairing like a snowplow... did not repeat this experiment, except in the other direction to get out of there!

mellephants screwed with this post 06-24-2014 at 07:00 AM
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
mellephants
Studly Adventurer

Screenshot of this route on a map, for the lazy

Also a (temporary) link to it on GPS Visualizer website: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display...45150-map.html
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for posting this. I'll likely be checking it out on Thursday.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Nice track, thanks. That water crossing can be like riding on ice with slicks!
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,866
thank you sir! No knwoledge like local knowledge!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Marcin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Looks like fun ride. I go fishing Rock river sometimes next time i take my bike and go exproring.
Thank you
Marcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
Silver dude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thanks for the track planning to make this my first major ride of the season. Lived in Byron the majority of my youth.

There is timber bridge a little north of White pines that is a pretty cool structure to ride across. Columbian road bridge.
http://bridgehunter.com/il/ogle/71991216346/

Brick rd in Oregon also has a section of the original Brick highway. The first State paid paved highway the bare brick section is small but cool to roll on history.

Silver dude screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 11:57 PM
Silver dude is offline   Reply With Quote