User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
quality rope for general yard use

I'm looking to buy about 50' of good quality rope for some yard work and misc use like cutting saplings and or dragging brush with my quad.

i have cables and chains, but all of which are very heavy so rope seems the way to go.

I have bought from strapworks before and was wondering if anyone has use this rope before?
http://www.strapworks.com/Kernmantle...w_p/kr12yw.htm
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,102
pretty strange request/thread, but the best quality rope for general use would be some used climbing rope....or even used boat dock lines...or sail halyard and sheets, ....but how many bundles of 50' of 1/2 braided line that costs $20 can you really go through?....I see $1.60 a foot for the kernmantle stuff....for a get dirty rope, that seems costly....

if you had a contact at a local climbing gym, that would be a high quality rope for your purpose (and easy to untie if you use the right knot)....I had a big spool of 1" tubular nylon webbing that I use for some of your mentioned tasks....

http://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.co...mbing-rope.php
freeflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Since the listing doesn't say what it's made of, or what it's characteristics are, I wouldn't buy it. I want to know things like stretch, abrasion resistance, UV degradation and such.

Go to a boating supply store. They've got a good choice of ropes to pick from.

I've a 1,000' spool of 3/8" braided dacron rope myself. Cost me something like $60. Very usefull. I do keep a number of whipped 50' lengths around for whatever purposes. That is a handy and usefull length.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks for the replies guys. you're right knowing the basic specs would be good to know. I have a bit of tree cutting and limb trimming to do and need a decent quality rope that won't break the bank. the tree work and limb cutting is around the 12" dia and smaller.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,102
I trimmed trees professionally for 4 years (and it was WAY too much work for me) . . . . .

Boat yards, as written above.

Dacron will out last you (but not your saw, so be careful).

It also coils/uncoils nicely, having little or no "memory."
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Safe working load!!

The important thing to know is the safe working load of the rope.If the rope doesn't specify it's breaking strength or safe working load (SWL), don't buy it, you don't know it's quality. SWL is usually considered 1/5 to 1/6 of the breaking strength and 1/10 if lifting a person. Here is a good link to check; http://kickinteractive.com/dc/units/1_1/safety.html
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
rbjenterprises
Just wandering in SW VA

Oddometer: 33
I have done the tree climbing work also. Hard work, real fun a few times a year other wise just hard work. I was in my best shape ever then though!

Here is what I would recomend:

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catal...d=143&item=197

Tree climbing line has no stretch and a very rugged outer sheath to protect the core.

Bruce from Roanoke
Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

hey thanks again guys and thanks rbjenterprises for the link. that rope is what my friend recommended to me over the phone on my way home from work. I've got a lot of tree work to do around the yard and that rope definately looks like it's going to last a while.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #9
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
AMSteel Blue

Look up AMSteel blue. Great stuff. Many have changed form steel cable to this stuff for winching and the type of work you are doing. I just bought some 1/8" diameter stuff for some things I have going on at less than a quater a foot from Redden Marine. 1/8" diameter has a 2300 lb tensile strength. Use the coupon code hammockforum. The stuff is made by Samson and you can go to their website to find the weight rating you desire. They even have whipping instructions available so you can make nice clean looped ends and things like that.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Look up AMSteel blue. Great stuff. Many have changed form steel cable to this stuff for winching and the type of work you are doing. I just bought some 1/8" diameter stuff for some things I have going on at less than a quater a foot from Redden Marine. 1/8" diameter has a 2300 lb tensile strength. Use the coupon code hammockforum. The stuff is made by Samson and you can go to their website to find the weight rating you desire. They even have whipping instructions available so you can make nice clean looped ends and things like that.

thanks Krazyjohnny and others i'll check on those suggestions.

I will be using my chains and cable for pulling rotted logs and limbs on the ground with my atv. that would damage the rope fast. I live in an area with a lot of rocks.

the rope will just be for tree limbing.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
dragging stuff with your quad

I've got some 1/2" poly rope I've been using on my place or 17 years now and it was pretty cheap when I got it. THE BEST THING I have ever used for dragging stuff is an old drive belt off of a 6' finish mower. I make a loop by pulling a loop around whatever I'm gonna pull then run the other end through it and put it over the ball on my ATV and pull away. It cinches up and doesn't slip but when you get the load where you want it all you have to do is back up a tad and it loosens right up, it works amazingly for dragging deer also as you don't get hair and funk on your rope and no jacking with knots at all. If you need a little stand-off room use two of them. I bet an old Serpentine automotive belt would work too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad View Post
I'm looking to buy about 50' of good quality rope for some yard work and misc use like cutting saplings and or dragging brush with my quad.

i have cables and chains, but all of which are very heavy so rope seems the way to go.

I have bought from strapworks before and was wondering if anyone has use this rope before?
http://www.strapworks.com/Kernmantle...w_p/kr12yw.htm
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,444
If you go for a climbing rope, be aware there are two general flavors. Dynamic ropes stretch when a load is applied, the idea is the rope acts to absorb fall forces. Static rope does stretch, but NOTHING like a dynamic rope. 1-2% vs. 10-15%. You will want a static rope for what you're doing. Petzl makes a huge range of static ropes.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 581
+1 on the AMSteel
Look at Sdyderline as well.

Specifications
SizeWeightTensile
lb/100'g/mlbkg
1.8 mm0.23.0350159
2.8 mm0.46.01200545
3.8 mm0.811.91900863
4.8 mm1.319.325001135

Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,925
Mule tape.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
I've got a ton of old climbing and rigging ropes that are no longer safe to climb or rig on but are still usable. Been climbing trees for 12 years and hate throwing away $200 ropes. PM me if you want a few hanks.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote