User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,601
Sad, sad Guzzi day!

Got this old girl running the other day...

Then, after I had it running a bit and it seemed to be OK, I turned it off, cleaned up the garage and went inside for the night. Yesterday I went to try and fire it up and although it turns over fine it wouldn't start. I pulled the plugs and no fire at all on either plug. This old bike has been sitting a while so could the points/condenser have gone? Coil? What should I check first?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,347
I would check to see if you have a sp[ark at the points first, and then work back from there, checking points gap at the same time. if it was running before you turned it off, it can't be that much to sort out.
England-Kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK since I am stuck here at work and can't monkey with it for a few more hours, I was just thinking that I would ask for some advice and that's as good a place to start as any!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Bike looks nice, but we need more pictures...
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,087
correction, a sad sad Guzzi day would be if it had caught fire and was completely destroyed. Not starting is a minor inconvenience on a 40 year old motorcycle. Go through the electrical and clean all contacts. Baseline get everything perfect mechanically and it will give you another 40 years of faithful service.

You do know that 40 years for a bike is like 100 human years. I'm sure you won't always be ready to jump up and get running when you're 100 :)
2006 HD Sporty 1200C, 2006 Triumph Scrambler, 2001 Ducati M900, 2001 Honda XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1978 Honda CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Honda CB750K, 1965 Honda 305 Dream, 1973 Norton 850 Commando, 1971 Triumph Trophy 650, 1970 Honda Trail 90, 1970 Triumph Tiger 650, 1973 Honda Z50, 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000, 1981 Honda Passport 70, 1970 Suzuki T250, 1971 Yamaha RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

That is correct, there are many days of late when I don't feel like starting...
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Heck, nice is a VERY relative term, she is ROUGH! Just the kind of bike you don't mind riding in the rain and snow you know...although I have yet to ride the old girl. I've only had her for a few weeks and although I have done a bunch of work to her she still needs a BUNCH more. Here, maybe I'll amuse you and a few others

As you can see, she is a work in progress, I can't wait to ride her!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Irutt, I do agree sir! Just kinda sad after I was so elated the other day that's all! I will get her going and will ride the piss out of her!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
F_Sahms
mostly paved

Oddometer: 300
Check that you are getting 12V to the low tension side of the coils. Often the ignition switch is suspect.

If you are getting juice to the coils, check the points/condenser/rotor/cap next.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK, marathon session in the garage last night, barely made it to work this morning! Anyway, she is now running! Looks like a little of everything and all coupled together at the same time created a strange problem. First, the ignition switch was really messed up but with the help of Gregory Benders website and a rebuild I got it back together and it actually works with voltage going where it is supposed to when it is supposed to EVERY time! Next, was most likely my fault. When I initially got the bike fired up the tank was off and I just filled the float bowls to see if it would hit and when it did I finished up the tank and installed it.
Must have been while messing with the "x" and all the fuel lines that I pulled the wire on the plus side of the coil just enough to open up the female connector and cause a bad connection. Although I could see it connected under the tank it was loose. Then finally, at the distributor I had "some" voltage but the connection was kinda rusty so I cleaned that up and checked the points. They were all kinds of screwed up! I straightened them out and POW! Good hot blue spark! That's it! Thanks for the support fellas, just helps knowing that it isn't all bad! Actually, after I got her running, I rode her down the street and back some time after midnight! Now I will get her tuned and running like a top!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
OK, marathon session in the garage last night, barely made it to work this morning! Anyway, she is now running! Looks like a little of everything and all coupled together at the same time created a strange problem. First, the ignition switch was really messed up but with the help of Gregory Benders website and a rebuild I got it back together and it actually works with voltage going where it is supposed to when it is supposed to EVERY time! Next, was most likely my fault. When I initially got the bike fired up the tank was off and I just filled the float bowls to see if it would hit and when it did I finished up the tank and installed it.
Must have been while messing with the "x" and all the fuel lines that I pulled the wire on the plus side of the coil just enough to open up the female connector and cause a bad connection. Although I could see it connected under the tank it was loose. Then finally, at the distributor I had "some" voltage but the connection was kinda rusty so I cleaned that up and checked the points. They were all kinds of screwed up! I straightened them out and POW! Good hot blue spark! That's it! Thanks for the support fellas, just helps knowing that it isn't all bad! Actually, after I got her running, I rode her down the street and back some time after midnight! Now I will get her tuned and running like a top!
Tim,
Glad to hear it! She's a beaut. In my world, she's about as pristine as a bike ever needs to be. Any tidier than that and its just a butt ornament.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

HA! That's funny! Thanks for all the encouragement Nick. Sure would love to get her up your way some day! All of your ride reports and video sure didn't help when it came time to pick my next ride. That sure is beautiful country up there and I'm sure she would love to get north this summer...
Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Great news, now we just need some riding shots and tales
Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
HA! That's funny! Thanks for all the encouragement Nick. Sure would love to get her up your way some day! All of your ride reports and video sure didn't help when it came time to pick my next ride. That sure is beautiful country up there and I'm sure she would love to get north this summer...
Don't forget, the (Inter)National Moto Guzzi Rally in being held in Ontario this year, at Lavigne, near North Bay
http://ontarioguzziriders.com/2013_m...nal_rally.html. You could combine a trip around the Great Lakes with the rally. Lots of old Loops will be there.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Don't forget, the (Inter)National Moto Guzzi Rally in being held in Ontario this year, at Lavigne, near North Bay
http://ontarioguzziriders.com/2013_m...nal_rally.html. You could combine a trip around the Great Lakes with the rally. Lots of old Loops will be there.

Nick
oh how I wish I could do that.....