User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
txsizzler OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
1981 Honda C70 Passport bought today!

Well, just happened to be browsing through the local Craigs ads, and happened upon this, just as it was posted moments before:

So, I called him up, asked several questions (mileage: 5520. Condition: Very good, has minor cracks, front fender needs replaced, front tire low, battery needs replacing, but starts right up! Title: Clear, ready to go! Asking price: $250 ( )

Anyhow, he lives about a mile from me, so I went on over there, and brought over my tire inflator. Sure enough, it was exactly as described. He had been doing some spring cleaning in his garage, and saw the bike just sitting there (hadn't moved in over a year). So, he tries to start it, nothing with the electronics. Kick starts it, starts right up!

Well, I inflate the front tire (put some air in the rear as well), take it for a spin. The brakes will need adjusting (barely stops when fully engaged). The three shift up deal was weird to me (I ride a Suzuki Savage 5 speed also), especially given its clutchless. Still though, the bike was an absolute hoot to ride! I did notice the petcock leaking just slightly when open... will probably have to replace it (looks like about 10 bucks on fleaBay).

Anyhow, $250 dollars later, I have it in my garage now. Here are some pics I took of it at home:

txsizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,482
cool find
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Island Cruiser

I loved mine, got me all over an island in Greece. When others had no way to come and go, I always knew my scooter would get me around the island. Of, course I probably only weighed 140 or 150lb back then. Great ride.
luckychucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
GinoXB
n00b

Great bike at a great price! Congratulations! They are built like tanks. Probably the toughest bike ever built.
GinoXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Congrats on the sweet find!
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,962
Too bad the PO cut off the legshield.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 148
Great find! The seat and muffler are probably worth the price you paid for the whole thing!!!
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
PinkSteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I've owned two Passports, and currently have one with a Lifan 125. It's the scooter that started my whole family riding. Bulletproof, easy to maintain, plenty of parts and aftermarket parts. Dr.ATV.com has everything you need, and the Yahoo Passport Group is very large and lively, with answers and files for everything.

The C70 needs a good battery to run, or you'll burn out every light on the bike, starting with the headlight. The starter motors rarely work, and nobody fixes them - because the bike kickstarts so easily. Replace the tires with Michelin Gazelles - and I have gone up a size on front and rear.
PinkSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
txsizzler OP
n00b

I will be ordering a new battery tonight. I tried charging the old one, and it had just enough juice to power the headlight (dimly), and the blinkers.

I will also be ordering a new petcock. Got the old one off (leaky) drained the fuel tank. The tank has some surface rust on the interior. So, I will be taking care of that, too. Brakes still need adjusting, and the front fender to be replaced. All in all, very exciting!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
slowlane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Congratulations on the Passport acquisition. They are great little machines that can be incredibly addicting. I absolutely love my '82 C70 that I bought about seven years ago, also for $250, and have since ridden over 27,000 miles. With a little maintenance, that Passport will last a very long time. Make sure you check the oil level regularly. I cannot stress this enough. Mine was run low at some point before I owned it and many internal engine parts were in very poor shape. In a testament to the machine though, the Honda still ran really well even though internally, it was dying. It looks like someone went nuts on yours with some beige paint. Also it appears that they flipped the front turn signal mounts, as the brackets should point down instead of up. Your seat looks to be in amazing shape though, which is unusual. Good luck and enjoy your new Passport.
slowlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,642
Way to go. I used to own one of those, bought nearly new. I wound up selling it because of the clunky transmission and lack of power. In hindsight I realize I made a big mistake. The Passports were real Hondas, made in Japan in the Honda factory. While others disagree, to me the quality was a lot better than, say, the SYM Symba. I checked out the Symba, as a possible way to replace that Passport, and found it's build quality to be pretty chintzy and flimsy in comparison. Not putting down the Symba, just saying I thought the Honda was higher quality and more substantial. You should be able to get all the parts you need to restore that one.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,482
I do believe they are the highest production motorcycle ever made with 21 million plus made over the years. I m guessing 100 years from now you ll still be able to find the parts you need because of that. Did one couple take 2 of the clones of these for a 3 year trip around the world? SYM clones?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #13
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
I do believe they are the highest production motorcycle ever made with 21 million plus made over the years. I m guessing 100 years from now you ll still be able to find the parts you need because of that. Did one couple take 2 of the clones of these for a 3 year trip around the world? SYM clones?

Once again there were 60 million made in 2008. They are still in production so who knows what the the production number is now.

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/c080521Cub-Series/

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #14
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,631
They are the highest production vehicle of any kind ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
Once again there were 60 million made in 2008. They are still in production so who knows what the the production number is now.

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/c080521Cub-Series/
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
txsizzler OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
They are the highest production vehicle of any kind ever.
So, are any of the newer Cub's parts interchangeable with the 1980/1981 models? I realize the 12v/6v difference, but what about other parts?