Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Hawk62cj5 OP
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Question How fast do you run on gravel roads ?

Im a newb and ride alone so I have nothing to gauge myself on . I spend alot of my time riding /exploring state maintained gravel roads and just wonder how fast do most people run . Ive noticed to me the bike feels good between 30-45 mph , slower or faster the handling feels like it degrades to me. Is this normal ? Im in no hurry when I ride so I doubt I really change but I was curious.
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Im a newb and ride alone so I have nothing to gauge myself on . I spend alot of my time riding /exploring state maintained gravel roads and just wonder how fast do most people run . Ive noticed to me the bike feels good between 30-45 mph , slower or faster the handling feels like it degrades to me. Is this normal ? Im in no hurry when I ride so I doubt I really change but I was curious.
Only ever run at what you are comfortable. Pushing your comfort zone can end badly. Push when it's safe and others can't be hurt if you go down.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
I run about 6 MPH. I can go faster, but only for about 10 minutes.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oh wait, are talking motorcycles? I have been offroad on mine once. I hope to not have to again. My bike is a Ninja 500 with its horribly bad shocks. NOT made for gravel.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Oh wait, are talking motorcycles? I have been offroad on mine once.
if you were on a gravel ROAD, you were not off road. You were merely off PAVEMENT. NOT the same thing at all.

Our house is located along a gravel road. Cars go by all the time. They are not off roading.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
if you were on a gravel ROAD, you were not off road. You were merely off PAVEMENT. NOT the same thing at all.

Our house is located along a gravel road. Cars go by all the time. They are not off roading.
I'll give you that it was in fact a road, and yes it was a mixture of washboard clay chunks and gravel. I was not offroading either, but even going 5 mph I was getting jarred all over the place. On my father in laws KLR250 I could have easily maintained 40-45 mph or so. Different tools for different jobs and all that...
Old 01-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
I'd agree with you, for my tastes 30-45 is about right on a gravel road. I like to sightsee and that seems to be a happy speed to do it. Fast enough to get somewhere but slow enough to enjoy the ride and not worry about hitting a giant pothole or some other hazard.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
I'd agree with you, for my tastes 30-45 is about right on a gravel road....
Depends on the road conditions. There is no one answer. Could be 9 MPH (mud season with soft conditions and criss-crossing ruts), could be 90 MPH (hard packed, smooth, dry to slightly damp to keep the dust down and the fines stuck together)..
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 622
It depends on the surface, Generally, speed is my friend and I count on a bit of throttle to get me out of a drift. That said opposing forces such as road crown, Loosely packed or lopsided luggage, and Marbles (loose stone on packed dirt) can easily change that. I would say as fast as I can comfortably go knowing that I wont over drift the road and land in the ditch or worse. I rarely run at over 60 though.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
Hawk62cj5 OP
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post
It depends on the surface, Generally, speed is my friend and I count on a bit of throttle to get me out of a drift. That said opposing forces such as road crown, Loosely packed or lopsided luggage, and Marbles (loose stone on packed dirt) can easily change that. I would say as fast as I can comfortably go knowing that I wont over drift the road and land in the ditch or worse. I rarely run at over 60 though.

Or a out bridge complete with dukes of hazzard jump ramps like I ran into yesterday , which to be fair they had road closed signs up

I know thats the tricky part of the question , a gravel road is a ever changing surface so I know it can vary road to road day to day . I grew up at the end of a 6 mile dirt road and I could run it up to the 70s end to end when it was right , semi packed soft dirt with the gravel packed in after a rain but let it get hard with slushy gravel on top I would have back off a bit or worst of all let it washboard and you would have to poke along under 40 . Then every state does their gravel roads a bit different so all of that factors in .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,876
I got onto some gravel that I had to take at abut 10 mph could never get up to a speed when I floated on top. One mile and I was soaked wit sweat. I have been on gravel at 60 mph. Most time 35 to 40. The bike can tell you what it likes, listen.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 254
I've managed 80 before....crank up the stabilizer and stand on the pegs. It was pry stupid though. Felt ok.
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,836
As fast as I feel like...

Like others have said, as fast as you feel comfortable. Though now a sidecar hangs off of my 650 so its now a bit slower.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,704
Several answers to this one:

Front tire size (19" would be harder than a 21")
Tire type - Knobby easier than street
Bike type - Vstrom would be much slower than on my 990

And there is gravel type.

When I ride along the railroad tracks they use 1.5"-2.5" gravel, the big stuff which is kinda deep. It moves all over the place. The smaller stuff kinda packs down so is easier to ride on.

In a nutshell there is no single answer. The best one is ride at the pace you are comfortable at. There is a speed at which stability and comfort meet, usually it is fast enough to get you on top of the gravel. kind of like riding on sand. Weight placement on the bike, standing etc etc all play a part.

Maybe not an answer you looking for but the question your asking doesn't really have a single response either.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
As fast as I feel like...

Like others have said, as fast as you feel comfortable. Though now a sidecar hangs off of my 650 so its now a bit slower.
Yer gonna hafta define a "bit" slower. I've followed you on dirt roads!