User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Buddyv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Faded Micatech cases.....

I have a pair of Micatech cases on my 2002 1150gs Adventure. They have traveled 90K miles, so the paint is faded (black).

I suspect they were initially powder coated??? If so, has anyone experienced the cost of re-powder coating? I would suspect they would need to be stipped first?

Sounds pricey..... but on a GS, I need to have them done right (if re-done at all).

Let me know your experience..... much appreciated. I am a rattle-can kind of guy for most things. This may require much more attention.

(can you tell I'm on the fence about touching them? They function perfectly.... just faded. Make the bike look all of it's 90K miles)
Buddyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,637
I've been told that powder coating shouldn't be recoated . . .

I'd suggest you enjoy the hash marks that the faded coating represents . . . . 90K miles of memories!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,075
Yes, they're powder coated. Baked in a for-real, big assed industrial conveyor belt oven. When I go there to work in the winter.. I love it. In the summer, not so much
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 444
Micatech

Contact Micatech, they are good people they will tell you what to do.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,545
Have a set with about the same amount of miles, same thing happened. I just kind of gave up and dont really care what they look like. They are still watertight and can hold all of my crap.
ghostryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Buddyv OP
Adventurer

Update....

Thank you all for your thoughts...... I called the good folks at Micatech today.

I am not the first to call them with this question. And they actually HAVE re-painted a client's boxes.... but it was a ton of work. At this point I think it's one of those things that requires me to "leave well enough alone".

Testament to this product: 90K confirmed miles of use and they are absolutely SOLID and water-tight (despite the faded exterior).

Wish more things wore this well.

My plan is to get creative with them. I'm thinking a unique camo design.... hell, it's not like I will ruin the "look".

Ride safe!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 AM   #7
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddyv View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts...... I called the good folks at Micatech today.

I am not the first to call them with this question. And they actually HAVE re-painted a client's boxes.... but it was a ton of work. At this point I think it's one of those things that requires me to "leave well enough alone".

Testament to this product: 90K confirmed miles of use and they are absolutely SOLID and water-tight (despite the faded exterior).

Wish more things wore this well.

My plan is to get creative with them. I'm thinking a unique camo design.... hell, it's not like I will ruin the "look".

Ride safe!!!
I concur.. Just run them with the well-earned patina
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddyv View Post
May I suggest you google WW1 "Dazzle" naval camo . . . .it's fun, but will not make you any less visible to drivers . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,297
STICKERS

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Buddyv OP
Adventurer

Dazzle???!!!

Bomber..... that Dazzle camo is awesome! Thanks for the recommenmdation!

I also liked the "stickers" idea....... and this camo design lends itself to making it with stickers. I'm there!

Thanks all! (your ideas just saved me $500)

Cheers!

Buddyv screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 09:48 AM