User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
brodon OP
brodon

Oddometer: 4
Regarding travel via Maxi Scooters, i.e. Burgmans

While there's a bit of everything on Moto Travel sites like this, the bulk of riders appear to be both long distance with off road machines. When mentioning travel by scooter, you can almost "see" a raised eyebrow or two, even if it's politely not mentioned.

To read about and see the photos of those world and continental travelers is a wintertime joy for me.The quality of their writing and photography is something I spend probably too much time viewing during the confines of winter. But it gets me through as I impatiently wait for Spring, usually around April here in the mid-West (S. Illinois).

As much as I enjoy reading of these adventures by others, my love of riding are the two lane and country roads with wide open views. Roads that time has forgotten, many being deserted due to the Interstate system. Villages off the beaten path that could be a movie location for someone want a late 19th century setting.

Having owned about every make big bore cruiser made, except HD, along with RT and LT Beemers, Goldwings, etc., at age (71) and the condition of my old knees, told me it was time to get into something lighter to hold up. I actually decided to give up riding last summer and sold my 1900cc Raider, and told myself that it was time to pursue other interests, and than decided that this was a big mistake. Since your reading this as a biker yourselves . . . I don't have to explain my remorse at such a foolish decision. But like I said, it was time to lighten up the load on the body.

I actually had a Suzuki 650 Burgman about four years ago and loved riding it. Somehow the lure of the big cruisers brought me back and I sold the Burgy on eBay. So . . . . shopped Craigslist in December and found some better than super bargains and picked up an '07 Burgman 650 Executive with 6800 miles in mint condition. Drove about 250 miles each way and trailered it back. (If your even remotely thinking of buying a bike, get it done in January during the frigid weather.)

It would be foolish to suggest it is a total replacement for a motorcycle, but a quality maxi scooter is a very viable option for the riding I described above. The 650 twin cylinder power plant with a CVT transmission is, well, you would have to ride it to believe it. Smooth as silk, fast off the line with a top speed in the mid to high 90's. The fairing and adjustable powered windscreen gives excellent wind protection. Lot of storage pockets in the "dash" and under the saddle, with optional top case and side bags. A nice drivers backrest is available for under $100. Accessory outlets and digital gauges. Actually. . . . these rascals are about $11,000 new.

Dare I suggest a mini Goldwing? Yes i think I will since others besides myself who have owned Wings have described it thusly. OK, a bit of a stretch, but not by much. Like I said, you have to ride one for yourself to appreciate and understand the "downsizing" to a scooter.

So. . . . the first trip of the year with be in late March or early April to the Big Bend Natl Park in TX, one of the most unknown and beautiful areas in America. At 1300 miles, I'll trailer the Burgman and ride for about 5 days around Brewster county, including Terlingua,etc. There's not a two wheeled vehicle comfortable enough to keep my back from disintegrating at this distance, so riding this far is unthinkable.

If your riding SW Texas in early April and see an old guy on a red scooter with a black and white British racing helmet, give a wave. . . . as it will be I.

I Cor. 4:10
brodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,952
Brodon

You may enjoy this little scenic trip I did on my 650 Burgie a while back.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...burgman+bimble

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,952
And maybe this one on my somewhat smaller 150cc Vespa

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tarka

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
scootermann
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodon View Post
... give a wave. . . . as it will be I.

I don't think inmates wave—as such, especially if you have an ADV sticker on your scoot. Sounds like a great trip.
scootermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Brodon, you are following my steps. Luckily my old body held up a little longer than yours. 81. Yup, lousy knees, lousy balance. I was dedicated to BMW bikes, last one a R1200GS. For some years now I knew that when I have to, the next step is a maxi-scooter. As a farewell this past September still rode the GS, three weeks, coast to coast, 8.000 miles. Wonderful trip, but every time I had to stop, I was worried. Sold with 180K miles. I wanted to go lighter than a Burgman 650. That way I know I can keep going for a few years. Picked up a almost new Yamaha Majesty. I plan to seriously tour with it. Like Maryland-Georgia, Maryland-Maine. Keeping riding is all that matters.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
GJMark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka View Post
Brodon, you are following my steps. Luckily my old body held up a little longer than yours. 81. Yup, lousy knees, lousy balance. I was dedicated to BMW bikes, last one a R1200GS. For some years now I knew that when I have to, the next step is a maxi-scooter. As a farewell this past September still rode the GS, three weeks, coast to coast, 8.000 miles. Wonderful trip, but every time I had to stop, I was worried. Sold with 180K miles. I wanted to go lighter than a Burgman 650. That way I know I can keep going for a few years. Picked up a almost new Yamaha Majesty. I plan to seriously tour with it. Like Maryland-Georgia, Maryland-Maine. Keeping riding is all that matters.
I have 26,000 miles on my '05 Majesty including several trips to and through Wyoming and one 2,500 mile trip to California to ride the Pacific Coast Highway. It is fun to pull Vail Pass in Colorado (12,000 ft.) at 65 mph. Doc sliders in the variator helped power through higher engine revs and I get 55-60 mpg on the interstate. If my wife didn't love traveling on our Royal Star Venture so much, the Majesty would be my traveling machine. In my opinion, the Majesty would be a good choice. Enjoy your ride!
GJMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJMark View Post
I have 26,000 miles on my '05 Majesty including several trips to and through Wyoming and one 2,500 mile trip to California to ride the Pacific Coast Highway. It is fun to pull Vail Pass in Colorado (12,000 ft.) at 65 mph. Doc sliders in the variator helped power through higher engine revs and I get 55-60 mpg on the interstate. If my wife didn't love traveling on our Royal Star Venture so much, the Majesty would be my traveling machine. In my opinion, the Majesty would be a good choice. Enjoy your ride!

I'm not up there in years yet (will be 54 next month) but have some serious disabilities, including serious arthritis and fibromyalgia. I plan to retire on my 55th birthday, just 13 months away. Yippeeeee!!!! I just sold my '95 Goldwing today, after thinking about it for awhile. It was getting to be to much for me to handle in parking lots and tight places. But what finally made up my mind was it's 35 mpg. I literally couldn't afford to ride it anymore.

The Burg 650 is also too big for me, and I don't ever plan to carry a passenger. The Burg 400 is too expensive, and is only available with ABS, which is not for me. Same thing for the Silverwing. After selling the 'Wing, I have enough to pay cash for a new Majesty. I'm going to test ride it again, I can't afford to make a mistake, as it will be my last new bike. I need it to last 100,000 plus miles, mostly at highway speeds. I have not found anyone who put anywhere near that kind of mileage on one yet.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #8
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I'm not up there in years yet (will be 54 next month) but have some serious disabilities, including serious arthritis and fibromyalgia. I plan to retire on my 55th birthday, just 13 months away. Yippeeeee!!!! I just sold my '95 Goldwing today, after thinking about it for awhile. It was getting to be to much for me to handle in parking lots and tight places. But what finally made up my mind was it's 35 mpg. I literally couldn't afford to ride it anymore.

The Burg 650 is also too big for me, and I don't ever plan to carry a passenger. The Burg 400 is too expensive, and is only available with ABS, which is not for me. Same thing for the Silverwing. After selling the 'Wing, I have enough to pay cash for a new Majesty. I'm going to test ride it again, I can't afford to make a mistake, as it will be my last new bike. I need it to last 100,000 plus miles, mostly at highway speeds. I have not found anyone who put anywhere near that kind of mileage on one yet.
Jerry;
you should look at the Burgman usa forum, used machines with low mileage show up there for sale frequently. I have no experience with the Majesty , but I think they did not sell well here in the states and I do not recall seeing any posts about them with high mileage. So I wonder if it is a good machine for the length of time and miles you plan to put on. ??
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 149
I also have ridden loads of two-wheelers over the years. Last year I fell in love with a 2012 Silver Wing and have not looked back! Since May I have put 5500 miles on it with 0 problems. Here is a link to a solo trip I made to Yosemite last summer:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824559

Next week I am taking a trip with two other friends to the Monument Valley, Southern Utah area. Actually two of the friends from my previous ride, but my buddy with the V-Star has gone to a Gold Wing! My Silver Wing, a Gold Wing and a KLR 650! Should be a blast and another 1300 miles!!! Sorry got to go change my oil! Good luck!
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 05:50 AM
Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:

I don't know how it is where you are but here in Canada Honda has ben awash in new Non-current SilverWings for years. They have been available for $1000's off MSRP, about the same price as a Majesty. Why is this important?

Check the Majesty forums. 70,000 miles is high mileage for a bike ridden on the highway. Truth to tell, I think that's pretty good for a 395 single, but it sounds like that's not what you are looking for.

A SilverWing can do the kind of mileage you are seeking and more without even breathing hard. It's no longer a trendy model. There must be non-current bikes and deals around.

I was reading about a retired gent on his Swing who had an accident, his had 294,000 miles on it and was still running well before the crash. Amazing!

Phipsd screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 09:45 PM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
I need it to last 100,000 plus miles, mostly at highway speeds. I have not found anyone who put anywhere near that kind of mileage on one yet.
The road is a lot harder on a Scooter motor than a Motorcycle or automobile engine.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #12
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
I would find it hard to believe that a Swing went 295,000 miles without at least one rebuild of the engine and alot of money spent in maintence. The problem with scooters is they are turning pretty high rpm's traveling at highway speeds, which does not lead to a long life. The Burgman 650 is the only one that I know of that has a relaxed engine at 65+ mph. But I would think that the transmission on the B650 may be a little suspect for the long haul. A motorcyle is much more capable of the high mileage Jerry is looking for.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPED MEDIC View Post
The road is a lot harder on a Scooter motor than a Motorcycle or automobile engine.
I think that has more to do with displacement than whether the engine is motorcycle or scooter. My engineer brother was vacationing in Arizona recently and rented a V-Strom 1000. His brother-in-law was on a Ninja 650.

Cruising at traffic speed (85 to 90 mph) the Ninja was working hard, the Strom; a bike with 55,000 miles on it ,was in comfortable cruise mode.

If a person is thinking of a 400 class scoot for the highway; 80 mph indicated is about all you can expect for going the distance. Even at that, the bike will be working fairly hard. A 600 twin like on the Swing would be running at a comfortable cruise at the same speed.

You're a mechanic, a low stress engine is a much longer lived engine.

Phipsd screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 12:34 PM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,798
Glad to hear someone else likes cruisers. They are not real popular on this forum. I have also owned a lot of them. I currently also own a Goldwing. I have some medical issues that have me thinking of selling the Goldwing (1995 1500) It's fine out on the road, but I'm afraid I'm going to drop it in a parking lot someday. My intention was to replace it with a maxi scooter. I test rode all the Japanese models, and decided the Silverwing was the best fit. It has cutouts in the floorboards that allow you to put your feet straight down beside the scooter instead of dangling over the edges of the floorboards. For me the worst one was the Burgman 650, it felt just as heavy and awkward as the Goldwing in parking lots, and it was even harder to get my feet on the ground. I have a 750 cruiser I ride a lot now, and can still handle it fine, but I still want to get a Silverwing at some point. Right now I just can't justify spending the money. I looked at a couple of high mileage used ones, but since I would want to use it for long trips, I had doubts about their reliability. Enjoy your Burgman and ride safe.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Run to the Pacific Northwest on my Honda Silverwing last summer:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822485

I think you'll find that the Burgman will do very well for touring...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote