User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,344
990 gear selection sensor?

so, we all have one of these. the question is, what does it do to the ECU, and what would be any benifits or hazzards from disconnecting 2nd and 3rd gear?

i have heard that the sensor tells the ECU when it's in those gears, NOT to allow full throttle. something about noise and emissions standards. i have a call into ktm about this but doubt they are going to tell me anything other than don't touch it as they cant be held liable. so can anyone please explain this for me?

if it is limiting throttle then it has to go. if it does nothing more than just signal the ECU, then i will save my time and not mess with it.

thanks,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,775
You're right on the money. It's noise and pollution emission standards. Don't know how though. My guess would be it sends a limiting signal the butterflies so they open/don't open fully, something like that. Other than retarding the timing (which I don't think an electrical signal can do on this bike) it's the only other way I know of to have any impact on the fueling.

I've been told that uploading the aftermarket exhaust map (AKA: Akra map) bypasses these because it is sold "for closed course racing" blah blah blah. Basically it's KTM punting liability off on you, which makes sense, because EVERY motor company of any kind does this.

I wouldn't be surprised if it can be disabled in TuneECU. I've never fooled with it (I fixed my bike back in TuneBoy days) but I'm pretty sure I could make a phone call to Ken Wheeler over by Deal's Gap and he could probably tell me in a hot minute. He's done a lot with TuneECU. Worked magic on my RC8 and my dad's RC8.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
They make it very easy to chop the wires. The outer sheath near the plug has a sliding section. Unwrap the black insulating tape, slide the sheath down, cut the wires and insulate, pull the sheath back into place, apply black insulating tape. Undetectable mod :)
Peanuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
They make it very easy to chop the wires. The outer sheath near the plug has a sliding section. Unwrap the black insulating tape, slide the sheath down, cut the wires and insulate, pull the sheath back into place, apply black insulating tape. Undetectable mod :)

what does it do though? that's the question i want answered before i start cutting any wires.

thanks,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,545

KTM 990R 500EXC

catalina38 screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 07:18 AM Reason: repeat thread
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Here's the thread below on this subject from a few years ago. I'm still not sure if bikes sold in the US have this emission feature but, I did it anyways because it only took 10 minutes to remove the pin from the connector.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=sensor
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
Here's the thread below on this subject from a few years ago. I'm still not sure if bikes sold in the US have this emission feature but, I did it anyways because it only took 10 minutes to remove the pin from the connector.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=sensor

thanks. read that post and still dont know if i have found the answer but i guess i will go ahead and try. i have a tool for pushing the pins out of the connector, so i will probably try that. be nice if it also helped with some of the twitchiness off throttle as well.

laters,

laramie

Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
thanks. read that post and still dont know if i have found the answer but i guess i will go ahead and try. i have a tool for pushing the pins out of the connector, so i will probably try that. be nice if it also helped with some of the twitchiness off throttle as well.

laters,

laramie
Watching.

Please report back, ok?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

well, couple issues already.

1) the wiring diagram colors don't match what i have in my bike. i have a blue-red, greeen-yellow, and a light green. guess i will have to get out the multi-meter and see which is which.

2) there is no connector that is accessible easily. the only way this will be a "10 min" job is to snip the wires. if not your gonna have to do some work to get to the connector to push out the pins.

i will report back what i find out about the wiring, then decide what i want to do...

laramie

Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
You can minimize the throttle sensitivity with the G2 Throttle using either a 300 or 400 cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
be nice if it also helped with some of the twitchiness off throttle as well.

laters,

laramie
Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

well. found a pic to verify my multi-meter readings. this was stolen from the above linked post.

Green = Neutral
Green/Yellow = 3rd
Blue/Red = 2nd

the connector pictured above it behind the reg/rectifier and does not have much spare room. i think you will have to pull all the support brackets for the reg/rect and oil lines to be able to access it.

part of me says i should take the time to do it "right" the other side say's just cut the fucking wires. we will see what i finally decide. think i'd better make a cocktail and think about it for awhile...

laramie

Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #12
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
Pulling pins out of the connector will comprimise it's waterproofing. So chopping the wires is doing is as "right" as pulling the pins.
Peanuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Alright KTMkowboy, I'm still holding my breath...did it work? did you get into the cocktails too deep? Hurry up I'm turning blue
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoule View Post
Alright KTMkowboy, I'm still holding my breath...did it work? did you get into the cocktails too deep? Hurry up I'm turning blue
sorry man, been sick. i haven't done anything yet.

i'm this close to just snipping them and probably will this weekend. i just want to find a time were i know i will be able to ride the bike back-to-back, including the short amount of work time, so i can be as "scientific" as possible.

i am also still waiting on KTM to hopefully have a response. i'm not asking the suits, im asking a mech so hopefully i might get an honest answer other than the usual canned spam i would expect.

i hope it's true and i get some more low end oomph, because i was honestly expecting more. the front tire seems to be pretty planted to the ground. then again it just could be learning the new bike and engine. im used to true, big bore thumpers that always have that low end tourque. this bike sputters if i try and drop below 4,000 rpm.

i will keep you posted.

laters,

laramie

Old 02-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

ok, the deed is done. cut both the wires and took it out for a short spin. there is definitely more snap and power, but certainly not the "i can wheelie all day long" type like some may say. i was able to lift the front tire in 2nd with just a snap of the throttle, and it seemed to rev out quicker. 3rd gear is still firmly planted to the ground but does once again feel like there is more power and the RPM's climb much faster. all in all, its nice to have a little more power and its a pretty simple procedure, so i guess you might as well do it. but i think i will still be changing the gearing to get that lower end torque that i want. thinking something like 16/47 might do the trick...

laters,

laramie