Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,190
Need some help-advice on how to give quadropegic man a ride in a sidecar.

Howdy All,

Many years ago, in 1998 I met a man on the Internet on the "EXUP" list, his name is Rick Frame. Rick was the very first person I responded to on an Internet forum, he was the very first person I ever sent an email to, we soon became cyber friends. Rick still lives in Arlington Texas just outside of Dallas-Fort Worth, Rick and I had made plans to meet and ride together as I was planing one of my long rides the following summer of 1999.

Then fate intervened, Rick was stuck by a car from behind while riding and was knocked over a freeway over pass falling forty feet to the concrete road surface below. That Rick is still alive is a miracle if ever there was one, but the wreck has him left a quadriplegic ever since. It has been a dream of Rick and myself to someday take that ride we planed so long ago, NOW I think I have the machine to make this dream come true.

I have a sidecar on my BMW R1150GS, but I need to make some kind of body support that will fit into the sidecar that Rick can be placed into and using belts or some sort of straps secured to that frame. MY idea is to use light tubing such as electrical conduit to bend up a simple frame that can be inserted into the sidecar, nothing fancy, this will a one time use item, SIMPLE and CHEAP are the operative terms.

I have stopped in to visit with Rick whenever I have been in the area, the last time we saw each other was in July of 2008 when I rode the Ural all around the USA. Heres some photos of that visit.

Does someone in the Everett, Arlington, Snohomish area have access to electrical conduit and the tools needed to work with it to help fabricate such a frame, old used conduit would be perfect. I need to have this built by the middle of March at the latest as I'll be leaving for Texas the last week in March. If someone can lend a hand please contact me, THANKS.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
This may not be simple...

First, how will you transfer Rick to the sidecar? Maybe a Hoyer lift if there's one handy, or at least a couple strong folks. Second, from the looks of his seating system Rick has pretty serious stability and positioning challenges. I'd try to copy the positioning setup on his wheelchair, and maybe various foams would be best to work with as they're fairly easy to cut and manipulate to the desired shapes. We have any OTs, PTs, orthotists, etc. here that can offer some advice? And of course the foremost expert to consult is Rick- he knows best what works for him.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGrrrl View Post
First, how will you transfer Rick to the sidecar? Maybe a Hoyer lift if there's one handy, or at least a couple strong folks. Second, from the looks of his seating system Rick has pretty serious stability and positioning challenges. I'd try to copy the positioning setup on his wheelchair, and maybe various foams would be best to work with as they're fairly easy to cut and manipulate to the desired shapes. We have any OTs, PTs, orthotists, etc. here that can offer some advice? And of course the foremost expert to consult is Rick- he knows best what works for him.
Having spent allot of time in hospital myself Rick would be able to tell you how best to support him when he's in the sidecar, and perhaps he owns a hoyer lift, but the transfer will be the difficult part and require a lift or several strong helpers.Worthy cause though.DB
Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
SmellyGoatBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I'm wondering if there is a way to just bolt something in the Rick my already have. An old chair set up or the like. Then just prep the rig with a plate to connect the chair/harness to when you get there.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Jimm Dandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
howbout ya take yer tub off and bolt down a sheet o f3/4 plywood with some anchors in the appropriate places to strap his chair down.. and fashion a temp. ramp to get his chair on and off.. it will work. i have seen 3 guys in chairs operating a rig and driving it by themselves from a chair on the hack.
Jimm Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

Thanks for the input. Rick already has the lift which is used to transfer him from the bed to his chair, bath etc, that is not a problem. The problem is Rick is in Texas, I am only going to be at his home for a couple of days and I won't have time to fab something while there. I have been in contact with Rick, he has explained what is needed to support his body, basically he just needs to be strapped into something that will keep him from falling forward, backward or sideways.

This is something that is only going to be used ONCE while on this trip and if it works maybe sometime in the future, I won't be taking the sidecar off the frame. Thats why I am thinking a simple frame made from conduit that can be placed in the sidecar would be simple, cheap and easy. I don't have any of the tools needed to work with bending conduit.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
cluedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Mr Cob
If your rig can make it out to Port Townsend,
I can help you make something out of 1 inch aluminum
that will be light and disposable. We could also make it adjustable.
It would probably cost 1 beer.
cluedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluedog View Post
Mr Cob
If your rig can make it out to Port Townsend,
I can help you make something out of 1 inch aluminum
that will be light and disposable. We could also make it adjustable.
It would probably cost 1 beer.
Howdy Cluedog,

PM, is on its way. THANK YOU.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,498
I would take a different approach.

Fitting the chair to the hack will be simple, the hard points you've got to bolt to are known. Fitting the chair to Rick will be somewhat more difficult, he'll have to be comfortable and the restraint systems will need to be fitted to him. Building the chair in Washington and riding it down to him might work out fine, but that depends on a certain amount of luck, and as my grandfather used to say, "Luck is a crutch for the unprepared". I would find someone who can fabricate the chair in Rick's area, he'd be able to test it for fit and function before you arrive. In the meantime, you take some detailed measurements of the hard points in your hack so the fabricators can build a drop-in frame. Perhaps a bit easier, you have a mount built local to you and fit that to the hack before you leave and provide dimensions to the folks in Texas so they can build the chair to bolt directly to that.

Its a little more complicated this way, but it is more likely to work the first time you try it out.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
I would take a different approach.

Fitting the chair to the hack will be simple, the hard points you've got to bolt to are known. Fitting the chair to Rick will be somewhat more difficult, he'll have to be comfortable and the restraint systems will need to be fitted to him. Building the chair in Washington and riding it down to him might work out fine, but that depends on a certain amount of luck, and as my grandfather used to say, "Luck is a crutch for the unprepared". I would find someone who can fabricate the chair in Rick's area, he'd be able to test it for fit and function before you arrive. In the meantime, you take some detailed measurements of the hard points in your hack so the fabricators can build a drop-in frame. Perhaps a bit easier, you have a mount built local to you and fit that to the hack before you leave and provide dimensions to the folks in Texas so they can build the chair to bolt directly to that.

Its a little more complicated this way, but it is more likely to work the first time you try it out.
Howdy Mary,

Thanks for your suggestion, if this were something that would be used for days, or on a regular basis what your suggesting is great. Truth is we don't know if Rick will be able to do this, so spending a lot of time and money is out of the question. Rick has not felt the wind in his face since 1998, if we can come up with something simple that will just let us go around the block or a few miles I know it would mean the world to him.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Mary,

Thanks for your suggestion, if this were something that would be used for days, or on a regular basis what your suggesting is great. Truth is we don't know if Rick will be able to do this, so spending a lot of time and money is out of the question. Rick has not felt the wind in his face since 1998, if we can come up with something simple that will just let us go around the block or a few miles I know it would mean the world to him.
Fair enough. The point is to get him out, not to build a rig he'll use on a regular basis. Perhaps this is the seed that will develop into something he's able to use regularly?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
SmellyGoatBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88

What about something like this?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyGoatBoy View Post

What about something like this?
Howdy SGB,

That would be wonderful, but even at the sale price of 350 bucks its way to much money for a single use item.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 919
Mr.Cob to you. Anything you need on your way to Dallas, let me know, 40 miles n. of Denver.
norton(kel) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton(kel) View Post
Mr.Cob to you. Anything you need on your way to Dallas, let me know, 40 miles n. of Denver.
Howdy norton (kel),

Thanks but I'll be getting to Dallas via Moab Utah and the Big Bend Park area of Texas before hitting the big D.