Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
cat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
How to make neat holes in airbox?

How to make neat holes in airbox?
Can i use a hole punch or would it crack the plastic?
A sheet metal punch, the kind that you drill a pilot hole and then tighten the tool and...?

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,085
Hole saw.!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,893

Why are you putting holes in the airbox?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

Why are you putting holes in the airbox?

Probably because the OP imagines the trained engineers who designed the air intake
botched the job, though those engineers had access to a dyno and more than likely spent
many hours making sure the airflow was optimized for the resonant cavity of the air box,
( think of Helmholtz and you will be on the right track).

How likely is it that the engineers did a bad job and someone who needs to ask how
best to cut holes in the air box will do a better job ? Sort of like leaving an orangutang
in front of a typewriter and waiting for the sonnets of Shakespeare to be produced
( don't hold your breath waiting for anything intelligible to come out of that typewriter ).

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 06:26 AM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
1in putty knife. Heat the blade and it melts right thru the plastic making nice straight lines.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
1in putty knife. Heat the blade and it melts right thru the plastic making nice straight lines.

You shade tree wannabe "tuners" will have that air box working "right" in no time ... LOL !!!
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Probably because the OP imagines the trained engineers who designed the air intake
botched the job, though those engineers had access to a dyno and more than likely spent
many hours making sure the airflow was optimized for the resonant cavity of the air box,

How likely is it that the engineers did a bad job and someone who needs to ask how
best to cut holes in the air box will do a better job ? Sort of like leaving an orangutang
in front of a typewriter and waiting for the sonnets of Shakespeare to be produced
( don't hold your breath waiting for anything intelligible to come out of that typewriter ).
you don't sound as smart as you think you sound.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
you don't sound as smart as you think you sound.
I second that!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,629
Quote:

Your right,it seems like a great idea to swiss cheese your airbox,till that first real dusty ride and the filter plugs or passes dirt. Or you just cant quite get the jetting right no matter how much you mess with it,or the new noise produced makes you crazy.
Its fun to second guess engineers though.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:

You are right no one has ever removed or modified or redesigned an airbox and made more power...

Just like exhausts, fuel maps, and head porting do nothing for performance. You can also take any bike off the showroom and race it because they engineered it to be the fastest most efficient bike from the factory.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
1P8RIOT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Can't hurt to try

On my F800 I used a hole saw to put 3 holes on the part of the air box that's above the filter. I think the holes are 1" maybe 1 1/4" Before I did this I thought about what would happen if i wasn't happy with it. The plastic part I drilled into cost lass than $10. A BMW part that's only $10??? I figured it was worth 10 bucks to see if the mod that had worked on everything else I'd ever owned would work on this. I noticed better bottom end/low speed response and no negative results(same top end, mileage etc.) I do hear a little more engine noise but it's nothing.

'09 F800GS YEAH BABY!!!
1P8RIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:

The goals of the engineers might differ from the goal of the OP. It is possible to tune the same engine differently to get different characteristics. I'm not saying going around drilling random holes in things is the way to go, but if you can manage to shove more air and fuel into an engine in the correct mixture, you will get a bigger boom and more power. Whether or not this produces undesired results by way of reduction of fuel economy, airbox noise, etc... is irrelevant; none of those things are (hopefully) the goal of the OP.

On the dyno comment, you do realize that the reason most people cut holes in their airbox is that they've purchased a jetting kit which requires larger airbox holes work properly? Most companies who make these kits such Dynojet or JD, also have access to dynos, and their results against the stock power curves can be seen.

Anyway, to answer the OP's original question, use a holesaw to cut out the corners then use a heated razor blade to cut nice straight lines between the holes. Optional is some sort of sanding wheel for cleanup after. You can see it illustrated here on a DRZ400S https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtKWbs0N5lo
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,698
Quote:

( don't hold your breath waiting for anything intelligible to come out of that typewriter

Are you a hotrodder by chance?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
you guys really think every bike shipped from the factory is tuned for maximum performance, or do you think the engineers in question might have had to consider factors like fuel economy or emissions standards or rider-friendly power delivery, or a hundred other factors? I've owned two bikes where airbox mods were a well-documented and much-utilized improvement. It happens.

now, back to the original question: step drill for small holes.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
you guys really think every bike shipped from the factory is tuned for maximum performance, or do you think the engineers in question might have had to consider factors like fuel economy or emissions standards or rider-friendly power delivery, or a hundred other factors? I've owned two bikes where airbox mods were a well-documented and much-utilized improvement. It happens.

now, back to the original question: step drill for small holes.
CORRECT!

It's easy to be a smart ass, it's hard to actually use your brain before just being a dick.

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote