User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Front tire choice

I know everyone is sick of tire threads but I am in a wierd spot.
I am building a custom BMW R1100 with inverted telescopic forks on and a 21" front wheel instead of the telelever and 19" front.

Since almost no one has a 21" front tire on any BMW GS or GSA I have no reference for what is a good front tire for a heavier adventure bike.

Even if there are guys who ride dirt on GSs they seem to like a street bias.

What are you Orange folks using for a dirt biased tire on your big bikes?

I know I should not waste my time with my piggy, but it is what is.

I used D606 tires on my 530 excr and was not a fan in the dirt. they were just mediocre on street and on dirt. I usually used a 606 rear with a D752 front...not street legal but it worked great on pavement and was the best on dirt by far.

I am running a Kenda Big Block on the rear for a starter, we will see how that works, but I am curious on the front.

I know I do not belong here on this page, but I am in a wierd middle spot. Thanks for any input you folks have, I do love my Orange
Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 645
The TKC80, Pirelli MT21 and Dunlop 908 seem to be popular choices for a dirt oriented front tire. I have run the MT21's and thought the front was pretty similar to the 606 (hated the rear). Next time I'll try the 908 up front.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,644
The 606 sux on my 525, but is pretty good on the 990. I'm not fond of it on the street.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
The 606 sux on my 525, but is pretty good on the 990. I'm not fond of it on the street.
Have you tryed the scorp rally?
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
I loved my Gs, always wanted to do a fork conversion, but alas the mighty 950 came into my life.. Theres no going back.
Stay away from the TKC, soft sidewalls equal pinch flats, and crap in real dirt.
I like the MT21, haven't tried the 908 front.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,332
Even though I ride a GS, I run the TKC80 on the front. I'm waiting for KTM to bring the 1190 R Adventure to the US so I can test ride it. If it does as well as I'm hoping, it will replace my R1150GS Adventure. Looked hard at the 990 R but it really would have taken a lot of money to make it the bike I'm looking for.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,919
Metzler Karoo 2T is also an option for a dirt oriented front that can survive some on tarmac also, done more then 10 000 km on one, most of it tarmac with some dirt.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
BoulderGuy
out ridin'....

Oddometer: 433
I really like the TKC 80. OK in dirt, good on pavement and wears pretty good. Loved the Pirelli MT21's and the Dunlop 606's offroad but they were completely destroyed after a long weekend! They were kind of scary on pavement as well....
BoulderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I really enjoyed the Pirelli Scorpion Rally Front I ran this season, got tons of miles out of it. ( I'd have to check totals but it's over 4k and still looking good)
I run a 1.6" wide 21" front rim, street pressure all the time, your results may vary.
It's noisy on the road, hooks up well in the dirt, I didn't fall on my head on the street, I'll run another for sure.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo...ion_rally.html

2006 KTM 950 ADV S - 2004 Sherco 2.9
http://www.mdfeditions.com/
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/
mdfehrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Thanks for the input folks. You could have beat me up a bit for riding the competition and what a waste of time I am doing, but you guys came through. Maybe you saw my Avatar and felt pity...Not my bike btw.

So the thought of a 606 on the big bike being better than on a thumper is interesting. I am aware that I will NOT be pushing the big beast anywhere near my 530, so maybe the 606 will be better. But then I did not like it on the tar either.

The Pirelli MT21 looks interesting. What kind of life are you folks getting out of those and what ratio of dirt/street?

The 908 has been a thought, good reminder on that one, pricey, but an option. The Metzler Karoo 2T looks too far spaced out on tread blocks to retain any smooth ride on the tar. I could be wrong of course, but looks like a sand tire almost like a Dunlop MX31 or Pirelli Scorpion which I hated on my 530, way to spaced out tread.

Cost is a factor, not that I will not pay $200 for a front, but only if it is THAT much better than others.

Smooth on the tarmac, and good traction in the dirt with fair life for fair price. If that makes sense. I would rather a tire slip a bit on the street, if predictable...but stick in the dirt. I am sure that will sound stupid to some. I hope you know what I mean
Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
Thanks for the input folks. You could have beat me up a bit for riding the competition and what a waste of time I am doing, but you guys came through. Maybe you saw my Avatar and felt pity...Not my bike btw.

So the thought of a 606 on the big bike being better than on a thumper is interesting. I am aware that I will NOT be pushing the big beast anywhere near my 530, so maybe the 606 will be better. But then I did not like it on the tar either.

The Pirelli MT21 looks interesting. What kind of life are you folks getting out of those and what ratio of dirt/street?

The 908 has been a thought, good reminder on that one, pricey, but an option. The Metzler Karoo 2T looks too far spaced out on tread blocks to retain any smooth ride on the tar. I could be wrong of course, but looks like a sand tire almost like a Dunlop MX31 or Pirelli Scorpion which I hated on my 530, way to spaced out tread.

Cost is a factor, not that I will not pay $200 for a front, but only if it is THAT much better than others.

Smooth on the tarmac, and good traction in the dirt with fair life for fair price. If that makes sense. I would rather a tire slip a bit on the street, if predictable...but stick in the dirt. I am sure that will sound stupid to some. I hope you know what I mean
I can tell you this, I have run the Karoo on the front of my BMW and while it did an OK job both street and dirt, it didn't last very long. I went back to the TKC80's and it will carve a paved road like you wouldn't beleave and does very well off road. I average around 10,000 miles on the front TKC80 before the knobbies wear so unevenly that I start getting vibrations. I run AirSoft BB's front and rear to balance my tires and I think this helps my tire milage as well. I have found that 0.55 oz in the front and 1.0 oz in the rear balances the tires up to my top speed of 116 mph. I run the Tourance in the rear because I haven't found a rear knobbie that I can get more that 2000 miles out of. When I go down to the Gulf Coast I will take a TKC80 rear so I can ride in the sand and then change back to the Tourance for the ride back home.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
I get about 4 to 5 K out of a front Mt 21,Thats pushing the bike fairly hard. I find it very stable on the road. Off course one guys idea of stable is another's nightmare. Its all about expectations. If your doing that mod it sounds like more off road ability is what your after. With the 21, I imagine your running tubes, so pinch flats become an issue.. Hint, strong sidewall, especially on a GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post

www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 645
I had 606s on a KLR 650 for many years and i really liked them. Even in the canyons they held pretty well, and when they started to lose grip, they were very predictable. I did get a lot of pinch flats though...
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
I like the front TKC on my KTM. It handles well on pavement, and tears it up on dirt. As far as a soft sidewall and any kind of flats, I never air down, as I only air down in deep sand, and have not had the occasion to do so with this tire. Its worn out now, and I will be replacing with another. Still searching for a rear tire I like, but thats the 18 inch, and dosnt apply to you. Buy the way, I had a R1100GS and loved it. Just to let you know, the KTM stole my heart..........
Scott Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Anyone use the Mitas Dakar E09?
I know it is a pita to get here in the states, but if it is worth it...pita does not mean I can't.