ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,806
Talking The Great Southwest Tour of 2013

So I'm planning a long-ish trip in May to see some sights in the American Southwest I haven't seen before. I'm trying to work it out logistically to see as much as I can squeeze into 10 days, yet with enough time to actually enjoy myself at each stop.

My biggest hurdle is the long boring rides from Mountain Home, Arkansas (where I live) until I see anything of interest in Colorado and New Mexico.

So my question is: looking at my map/route below, what am I missing in Oklahoma and/or north Texas that will break up the monotony of those miles without taking me too far off my route? Any advice would be appreciated. Any suggestions for sites I've omitted would be welcomed.

I am primarily interested in natural wonders. I have 10 days to make the trip. I've done a couple long trips before and I'm most comfortable covering 350-400 miles per day.

__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
sealsam
Sam...I am.
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: seal beach, ca.
Oddometer: 1,704
Mr Gone, while you probably already know the southwest, do have one of these from the Auto Club???....

sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Lewiston,ID
Oddometer: 1,756
There is no relief from boring TX & OK. Just turn up the radar detector and twist the throttle. Then use the time you save to see the rest.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
There is no relief from boring TX & OK. Just turn up the radar detector and twist the throttle. Then use the time you save to see the rest.
This is what I was fearing. Of course, on those days I can chew up more miles, leaving me more time to spend at my other destinations.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,806
All great responses!!!

I know I'm rushing through this trip, but I'm at a point in my life right now where I have the money to tour, and my work is flexible with me regarding time off.

Next year, the year after... who knows? I might be flipping burgers at McDonald's.

So, unfortunately, I'm trying to see everything I can right now. If I find that I have time later in life, I'll slow down and smell the roses and spend more time at each destination.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Eyes Shut
See no evil
 
Eyes Shut's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Oddometer: 2,052
When in May are you planning to do this trip? Some mountain passes and areas may not be open in early May, but will be open later. For example, Grand Canyon North Rim is generally open starting in mid-May.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
When in May are you planning to do this trip? Some mountain passes and areas may not be open in early May, but will be open later. For example, Grand Canyon North Rim is generally open starting in mid-May.
I'm leaving Mountain Home on 17 May, which means I'll be hitting 550 a couple days later, and the Grand Canyon sometime mid-week. So, maybe the 23rd for the Grand Canyon north rim.

Cold temps I can handle. Snow and ice... not so much.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
buls4evr
No Marks....
 
buls4evr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Michissippi & Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
All great responses!!!

I know I'm rushing through this trip, but I'm at a point in my life right now where I have the money to tour, and my work is flexible with me regarding time off.

Next year, the year after... who knows? I might be flipping burgers at McDonald's.

So, unfortunately, I'm trying to see everything I can right now. If I find that I have time later in life, I'll slow down and smell the roses and spend more time at each destination.
You need to take a look at the "What Next Wander Tour" in Ride Reports. In fact 971 is coming right at you right now and would likely enjoy a PM on NWAR riding on his way home to Des Moines right now. He can give you tips on what to see. At any rate I think you would enjoy his report since it mirrors your interests.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
You need to take a look at the "What Next Wander Tour" in Ride Reports. In fact 971 is coming right at you right now and would likely enjoy a PM on NWAR riding on his way home to Des Moines right now. He can give you tips on what to see. At any rate I think you would enjoy his report since it mirrors your interests.
I'll see if I can find him.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk
 
ajayhawkfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Oddometer: 4,398
That looks like a lot of mile especially if you really want to see the sites. Many places you listed you can easily spend a day or more. A few examples, Near Durango, CO there is Mesa Verde National Park, great ride into the park Expect to spend at least 3 hours in the park and it takes time to get to the park. Capulin Volcano, worth the ride to the top, 1 hour up and back at least. At the Grand Canyon are you going to look of the rim for a second and then leave? That is a destination in itself.

Also ride the Enchanted Circle that goes through Taos, NM and Red River. Eagle's Nest pass to Cimarron, NM is worth riding and if the timing is right check out the St. James Hotel in Cimarron, NM for lunch or dinner.
__________________
"A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment." Willis Player

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer
 
No False Enthusiasm's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Small Town, Texas
Oddometer: 4,398
Quote:
Originally quoted by sorebutt:

There is no relief from boring TX & OK. Just turn up the radar detector and twist the throttle. Then use the time you save to see the rest.
You can do this: http://goo.gl/maps/tzpRj

Or you can do this: http://goo.gl/maps/3nfXe

The Panhandle of Texas offers a unique beauty that can be breath-taking... especially at sunset, through the glow of a full moon night followed by a spectacular sunrise.

Or you can miss it entirely...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer
 
No False Enthusiasm's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Small Town, Texas
Oddometer: 4,398
Here's a route from Shiprock, NM to Los Alamos then Taos to and through the Texas Panhandle....

The Valles Caldera rim is not to be missed.

http://goo.gl/maps/kw7KJ

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
eddie98
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: WOODSTOCK, GA
Oddometer: 628
We did almost the same loop starting in OK city. We spent a day in Page, AZ, a day in North Rim, 2 days in Zion. Mesa Verde was nice but didn't get to see much since it started to rain. They don't tell you that is 20+ MILES just to get to the parking lot after you pay to get in. Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice drive, but we were in a time crunch.

Also don't miss Great Sand Dunes national park. amazing stuff. I would also suggest you stay in North NM. and heat towards your Waypoint #2 again. It's a nice road.
__________________
09 DL 650,08 WR250R
09 KLX250S(gone), 03 R6 (gone)
04 WR 450(gone), 01 EX 250(gone),
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
We did almost the same loop starting in OK city. We spent a day in Page, AZ, a day in North Rim, 2 days in Zion. Mesa Verde was nice but didn't get to see much since it started to rain. They don't tell you that is 20+ MILES just to get to the parking lot after you pay to get in. Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice drive, but we were in a time crunch.

Also don't miss Great Sand Dunes national park. amazing stuff. I would also suggest you stay in North NM. and heat towards your Waypoint #2 again. It's a nice road.
Great Sand Dunes NP is definitely on my list.

I'm in a time crunch, too, if I want to see everything. I don't know if I'll ever have the time & money to do this again, so I'm trying to visit all these places just in case.

I would love to be able to spend a day or two at each location, but that's just not in the cards. This trip. Maybe next trip....

Anyway, I do very much enjoy just riding through the great scenery. I can take great pleasure in that, even if I don't get off the bike often enough.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
We did almost the same loop starting in OK city. We spent a day in Page, AZ, a day in North Rim, 2 days in Zion. Mesa Verde was nice but didn't get to see much since it started to rain. They don't tell you that is 20+ MILES just to get to the parking lot after you pay to get in. Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice drive, but we were in a time crunch.

Also don't miss Great Sand Dunes national park. amazing stuff. I would also suggest you stay in North NM. and heat towards your Waypoint #2 again. It's a nice road.
Clarification: by "stay in North NM" do you mean, avoid Interstate 40 on the way home?
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014