User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
hapbob OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Why buy a Harley

Talk me into why I should buy a Electra Glide?
Could be last real motorcycle.....may stay with scooter next or trike of some kind
I'm getting old.
I'm listening
Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
MHaz01
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 220
Hap, I can't tell you why you should buy an Electra Glide because I don't know you. You say that you're getting old....what does that mean? If, like me, you're in your 60s, that's not so old if you take care of yourself and keep in riding condition.

An Electra Glide is a heavy bike. You need strong legs and arms to hold it up, especially if there's someone on the pillion. Nothing you can't do, provided you keep yourself strong by exercising.

I ride an K1200LT, also a heavy bike. I'm in good shape, but starting to consider going down one weight class to an R1200RT similar bike. I ride long distances, two up. If you ride solo, or don't do long rides, a smaller bike would be fine. A Honda CB1100, a Triumph, or many other bikes. It depends on YOUR circumstances.

Older joints need comfortable seating arrangements and ergonomics. Find the bike that best fits YOU.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Zanotti
Studly Adventurer

1. They are better built than people say.
2. You can choose to adapt or spurn the lifestyle.
3. Dealers are everywhere - my BMW dealer is 90 miles away, my Triumph 23 miles away.
4. About 15 Harley dealers in this range.
5. You dont have to run straight pipes, you can keep the mufflers.
6. EFI: They start and dont leak oil.
7. The switchgear is well made, fit and finish exceptional.
8. I kind of like the sound and feel.

Add yours......

Z
Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
3. Dealers are everywhere - my BMW dealer is 90 miles away, my Triumph 23 miles away.

Add yours......

Z
All of this, and...
I've ridden sport bikes on long trips (500 miles+) and at the end of the day I'm beat. I borrowed a Ultra Classic and rode it for a 4000 mile trip and at the end of each day I never felt fatigued.

When I bought mine last year an atlas showed up in the mail, along with a HOG patch and pin. The atlas covers, the States, Canada, and Latin America. It also contains a dealer directory.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
hapbob OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey

I'm still here I asked the original question why buy a Harley. I have been looking for a used Electra or ultra....no luck everyone seems to think they are made of gold. But today I found a road king 10 miles from my house...I think I bought it right and will pick it up tomorrow. I hope I don't miss the bat wing and radio...well see ill post pic...it's a bit dirty and that will be my first job a through clean and shine!
2009 Road King
Black
Bone stock
6000 miles
Thanks for inputs on here!
Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
I'm still here I asked the original question why buy a Harley. I have been looking for a used Electra or ultra....no luck everyone seems to think they are made of gold. But today I found a road king 10 miles from my house...I think I bought it right and will pick it up tomorrow. I hope I don't miss the bat wing and radio...well see ill post pic...it's a bit dirty and that will be my first job a through clean and shine!
2009 Road King
Black
Bone stock
6000 miles
Hap
Congrats, same bike I have. You can always add a batwing and radio, lots of aftermarket options. Personally I prefer a Sena SMH10 communicator with helmet speakers and stream music from my smartphone. Sounds great.

The paint quality on Harleys is second to none, cleans up very nicely.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
2009 Road King
Black
Bone stock
6000 miles
Hap
If you know what you want, look out of town.

HD's in Texas seem to run about 70% the price around me.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
2009 Road King
Black
Bone stock
6000 miles
Hap
Congrats to you you hapbob! may you have many , many miles and great memories. The 96" , 6 speed with the 09 and up frame is a great bike. If you do decide that you want tunes and a batwing for more weather protection, there are many aftermarket companies that offer them, DeadCenter cycles offers a very good unit that while detachable is also lockable to prevent it from easily being liberated from your king.

enjoy !!!
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Looks like even Harley is copying something, though I don't know what. Is this the new David Bowie Glamour model? Those wheels look like they came off my neighbors Escalade, though I think his are bigger. That metal flake paint came straight from the '60s, though I don't remember it being used that way back then. This looks like a motorcycle with a gender identity problem.

Remember the original Night Train? Willie G.'s answer to complaints about the "yupped out garbage wagons" Harley was building back then. If only the complainers had any idea what Harley would be building these days. They did sell at least one, it is for sale on the Phoenix Craigslist. The seller probably got asked some questions about HIS gender identity when someone saw him on it. He will lose a fortune. He would be better off getting it repainted and put some real motorcycle wheels on it.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3629487755.html
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
DanVFR
Continent Crusher

Oddometer: 156
I own a Duc 749s and a Aprilia RSV 1000, Harley sportster wil fit in just right :)

I want one because i want to cruise at legal speeds and look cool, neither of which my sports bikes can do..

Simples :)
DanVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
2009 Road King
Black
Bone stock
6000 miles
Hap
Congrats on your new bike, you got the new frame, Brembo brakes, 6 gallon tank. I had an 09 put 62k miles on it and wish I still had it.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 96k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Eric, You're the one who went from Road King to Electra Glide, right? And I asked you a while back to compare the two from your experience, right? I recall that you were fairly neutral between the two. Has that changed based on your prior post?

I've also got many miles on my Road King, and am debating between trading it while it has value, or taking it into 6 figures on the odo. Both have appeal to me.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
2009 Road King
Black
Bone stock
6000 miles
Hap
That's a good one. Congrats.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Maybe some of you could lead me in the right direction.

What I'm contemplating is a style of bike that Harley used to make, but rarely does anymore. Bikes like the 1950's Harleys seems ergonomically better than so many bikes sold today... and some I've seen were nearly all painted instead of having chrome. Just good, all-around bikes without bling, and without the demand to keep the chrome clean.

I don't even know what this 'style' is called since the term "Standard" seems to now mean a cafe-racer style (with or without a fairing), and that's not what I think I'm after.

What I'm after, or wouldn't mind building from some used Harley if I could find the right model to start with, is more of a modern take on these styles of bikes:

Actually, this Indian kicks ass, too,

They seem to make a new one with similar designs, this is the 2013 Softail Deluxe ... which is almost there, but the saddle seems built into the bike (instead of sprung on springs) and really low:

So my question is... What used Harley to buy that with maybe only a seat (solo seat on springs) and a handle-bar change-out should I consider to get to this older 'standard' style of motorcycle? I don't think I'm looking for a used sportster any more since many sportsters have a narrow front wheel, and a few other things look 'off' on them.

My ideal version would have little chrome (but that's tough to get away from these days), hard panniers, and be a go-anywhere bike like people used to use them as. I'm not looking for style, just comfort and whatever it was that those old bikes had.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Makes Perfect Sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post

Add yours......

Z

This is the most intelligent pro-HD opinion that I have ever
heard!

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote