ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Tuna Helper OP
Rawrr!
 
Tuna Helper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Red Five standing by
Oddometer: 712
Rear ended by a cop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=T5Rb_3GlMTM
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...d-im-at-fault/

Not me.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer
 
GSAragazzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: The Purgatory of Suburbia
Oddometer: 1,163
Bet you he was on his phone. I see that ALL time.
__________________
"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"
GSAragazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic
 
LetItRoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North Central Idaho
Oddometer: 92
nice, so braking for things in front of you is against the law and inattentive driving is not? And riding in your lane (between the lines) is not ok if it is not perfectly centered? The officer was doing a pretty good job of making it up as he went (not).
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
Thats it?

This thing has been spreading like wildfire on several forums, but I just now watched the video.

Talk about an anti climax,
What a bunch of nothing, from all the hand scrubbing and outrage you'd think the cop committed some crime against humanity.

Yeah, the cop was kinda rude and unprofessional, but other than that it was a total non event.

Getting the courts and media involved? Get over it for crying out loud.

Waaaaa...........he hurt my feelings.....I'm telling.....
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gonzoso's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Pocono Mt.s PA
Oddometer: 144
The cop caused an accident, albeit a small one.

He then used his power to intimidate a citizen into not reporting the incident and going on his way when he was in the wrong.

While no one was hurt, it saddens me that more people are not upset at the abuse of power. The government is here to serve the productive tax payers.

Police are the janitors of human waste, they should not play god and should not intimidate, injure, or threaten the innocent.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoso View Post
the cop caused an accident, albeit a small one.

He then used his power to intimidate a citizen into not reporting the incident and going on his way when he was in the wrong.

While no one was hurt, it saddens me that more people are not upset at the abuse of power. The government is here to serve the productive tax payers.

Police are the janitors of human waste, they should not play god and should not intimidate, injure, or threaten the innocent.
well said.
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
* SHAG *
Unstable
 
* SHAG *'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Bradford, Pa
Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Bet you he was on his phone. I see that ALL time.
I think he was eating a donut too while running the guys plate number on the laptop
__________________
2013 Yamaha TW200 2k
99-RT- Graphite 50k Gone
01-GS- Mandarin 42k Gone
05-GS- Rock Red 89k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
74C5
Studly Adventurer
 
74C5's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Oddometer: 880
Rider should have done a better job of protecting himself in heavy traffic. You should be aware of the hazards in front and behind. In Nevada, he may not have had the right to stop in traffic. Impeding is on the books in a number of states. Absolutely no reason to slow down that much for someone who maybe wanted to move into the lane. That move should have been done less abruptly.

That said, if you hit someone in front of you, you screwed the pooch.

Remember, a skinny motorcycle makes people look beyond you. They can end up just not seeing what you do if what you've done is not within the norm of the rest of the flow.

The only avoidable/preventable crash is the one where a meteor hits you in the back of the head....and only then from a high angle of attack.
__________________
R1200RT (R1100RT gone)
KLR650 - gone
Don't be the guy who needs to pee on the fence to figure out that it's electrified.
74C5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Rider should have done a better job of protecting himself in heavy traffic. You should be aware of the hazards in front and behind. In Nevada, he may not have had the right to stop in traffic. Impeding is on the books in a number of states. Absolutely no reason to slow down that much for someone who maybe wanted to move into the lane. That move should have been done less abruptly.

That said, if you hit someone in front of you, you screwed the pooch.

Remember, a skinny motorcycle makes people look beyond you. They can end up just not seeing what you do if what you've done is not within the norm of the rest of the flow.

The only avoidable/preventable crash is the one where a meteor hits you in the back of the head....and only then from a high angle of attack.
As is most usual, both rider and driver were at fault. On balance, I'd say the rider mostly.

However, the LEO should be expected to be better than that (or at least that's the usual hype, despite many observations to the contrary). He should be an observant, skilled driver and be able to tell if someone else on the road is squirrelly and give them an appropriately larger space. It's part of his job after all.

The officer was taking the typical approach they are trained to do: "Always be in control of every interaction" but was doing it by being the an overly aggressive prick - the same way most inexperienced or inconfident LEOs do. I'd have let it slide up to the point where he said he could write a load of tickets and then it would have been "game on!" - or at least I'd like to think so. It's a bit harder to think straight when you've got some asshole yelling at you, which is what the cop was counting on of course.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
avgas
amateur
 
avgas's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
As is most usual, both rider and driver were at fault. On balance, I'd say the rider mostly.
Do you seriously think the rider was mostly at fault? He slowed down so that a car could see that it had space to merge and then to give it proper following distance. Then he got hit by another vehicle. I'm certainly not saying that his riding was perfect, but seriously, it's everyone's personal responsibility to make sure that they don't run into stuff. If I rear end someone it's my fault, not the other guys fault for driving in a somewhat weird way.
__________________
2012 Yamaha WR250R
avgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Garp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Oddometer: 2,180


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post20850753
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #12
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,550
WTF? :

I am mostly with the "this is a nothing thing" crowd.

But Jesus H. Christ, why do a very small, select few cops go so far out of their way to be dicks.

It would have been so much easier to ask the rider if he's OK, apologize and get on your way.
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
Midnightventure
-
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eldon,Mo
Oddometer: 712
The bike almost for sure had damage and I imagine the rider was sore. The cop was totally out of line and knew he was in the wrong. The right thing to do was for him to call his supervisor and the supervisor get an outside agency to investigate. There was a car acting like it was pulling over with it's signal on. I would have been slowing down in that situation too. The rider didn't slam on his brakes.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #14
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer
 
KG6BWS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Canyon Country, Ca
Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightventure View Post
The bike almost for sure had damage and I imagine the rider was sore. The cop was totally out of line and knew he was in the wrong. The right thing to do was for him to call his supervisor and the supervisor get an outside agency to investigate. There was a car acting like it was pulling over with it's signal on. I would have been slowing down in that situation too. The rider didn't slam on his brakes.
Im with you on that one. Yes, it was basically a non event. But the fact that the cop knew he fucked up and just used his badge to bully his way through it is bullshit. He should have enough integrity to realize his mistake instead of blaming it on someone else.
__________________
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,441
I count 205 snivel posts in the numerous other threads.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014