http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=T5Rb_3GlMTM
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...d-im-at-fault/

Not me.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Bet you he was on his phone. I see that ALL time.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 92
nice, so braking for things in front of you is against the law and inattentive driving is not? And riding in your lane (between the lines) is not ok if it is not perfectly centered? The officer was doing a pretty good job of making it up as he went (not).
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Thats it?

This thing has been spreading like wildfire on several forums, but I just now watched the video.

Talk about an anti climax,
What a bunch of nothing, from all the hand scrubbing and outrage you'd think the cop committed some crime against humanity.

Yeah, the cop was kinda rude and unprofessional, but other than that it was a total non event.

Getting the courts and media involved? Get over it for crying out loud.

Waaaaa...........he hurt my feelings.....I'm telling.....
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
The cop caused an accident, albeit a small one.

He then used his power to intimidate a citizen into not reporting the incident and going on his way when he was in the wrong.

While no one was hurt, it saddens me that more people are not upset at the abuse of power. The government is here to serve the productive tax payers.

Police are the janitors of human waste, they should not play god and should not intimidate, injure, or threaten the innocent.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoso View Post
the cop caused an accident, albeit a small one.

He then used his power to intimidate a citizen into not reporting the incident and going on his way when he was in the wrong.

While no one was hurt, it saddens me that more people are not upset at the abuse of power. The government is here to serve the productive tax payers.

Police are the janitors of human waste, they should not play god and should not intimidate, injure, or threaten the innocent.
well said.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Bet you he was on his phone. I see that ALL time.
I think he was eating a donut too while running the guys plate number on the laptop
05-GS- Rock Red 89k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Rider should have done a better job of protecting himself in heavy traffic. You should be aware of the hazards in front and behind. In Nevada, he may not have had the right to stop in traffic. Impeding is on the books in a number of states. Absolutely no reason to slow down that much for someone who maybe wanted to move into the lane. That move should have been done less abruptly.

That said, if you hit someone in front of you, you screwed the pooch.

Remember, a skinny motorcycle makes people look beyond you. They can end up just not seeing what you do if what you've done is not within the norm of the rest of the flow.

The only avoidable/preventable crash is the one where a meteor hits you in the back of the head....and only then from a high angle of attack.
74C5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Rider should have done a better job of protecting himself in heavy traffic. You should be aware of the hazards in front and behind. In Nevada, he may not have had the right to stop in traffic. Impeding is on the books in a number of states. Absolutely no reason to slow down that much for someone who maybe wanted to move into the lane. That move should have been done less abruptly.

That said, if you hit someone in front of you, you screwed the pooch.

Remember, a skinny motorcycle makes people look beyond you. They can end up just not seeing what you do if what you've done is not within the norm of the rest of the flow.

The only avoidable/preventable crash is the one where a meteor hits you in the back of the head....and only then from a high angle of attack.
As is most usual, both rider and driver were at fault. On balance, I'd say the rider mostly.

However, the LEO should be expected to be better than that (or at least that's the usual hype, despite many observations to the contrary). He should be an observant, skilled driver and be able to tell if someone else on the road is squirrelly and give them an appropriately larger space. It's part of his job after all.

The officer was taking the typical approach they are trained to do: "Always be in control of every interaction" but was doing it by being the an overly aggressive prick - the same way most inexperienced or inconfident LEOs do. I'd have let it slide up to the point where he said he could write a load of tickets and then it would have been "game on!" - or at least I'd like to think so. It's a bit harder to think straight when you've got some asshole yelling at you, which is what the cop was counting on of course.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
As is most usual, both rider and driver were at fault. On balance, I'd say the rider mostly.
Do you seriously think the rider was mostly at fault? He slowed down so that a car could see that it had space to merge and then to give it proper following distance. Then he got hit by another vehicle. I'm certainly not saying that his riding was perfect, but seriously, it's everyone's personal responsibility to make sure that they don't run into stuff. If I rear end someone it's my fault, not the other guys fault for driving in a somewhat weird way.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,180

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post20850753
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #12
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,550
WTF? :

I am mostly with the "this is a nothing thing" crowd.

But Jesus H. Christ, why do a very small, select few cops go so far out of their way to be dicks.

It would have been so much easier to ask the rider if he's OK, apologize and get on your way.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 712
The bike almost for sure had damage and I imagine the rider was sore. The cop was totally out of line and knew he was in the wrong. The right thing to do was for him to call his supervisor and the supervisor get an outside agency to investigate. There was a car acting like it was pulling over with it's signal on. I would have been slowing down in that situation too. The rider didn't slam on his brakes.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #14
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightventure View Post
The bike almost for sure had damage and I imagine the rider was sore. The cop was totally out of line and knew he was in the wrong. The right thing to do was for him to call his supervisor and the supervisor get an outside agency to investigate. There was a car acting like it was pulling over with it's signal on. I would have been slowing down in that situation too. The rider didn't slam on his brakes.
Im with you on that one. Yes, it was basically a non event. But the fact that the cop knew he fucked up and just used his badge to bully his way through it is bullshit. He should have enough integrity to realize his mistake instead of blaming it on someone else.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
I count 205 snivel posts in the numerous other threads.