Safe place to carry cell phone

HappyForNow screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 06:27 AM
HappyForNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,120
Left Jacket Pocket!
Mine is rather dull, so I don't worry about it stabbing me.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
D R
----

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
Left Jacket Pocket!
Same location for me. To protect it from weather, I place it in a ziploc bag.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,627
Now if this was in JM there is a "First-get yourself some K-Y and a baloon..." joke in here somewhere..

But on a, let's try to help note;

One of your upper chest pockets. Another tip. Make sure you can access it with either arm in case one side becomes injured. I did not research the stats on this, but I the many, many, many times I have been down offroad and on pavement I never sustained any significant impact to my chest. Others may disagree but that is my experience.

Even with H2O proof pockets I generally carry at least two ziploks in my jacket JIC! But of course I ride a KTM so I actually spring for the ziplok brand.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
Whichever upper jacket pocket is waterproof. I have yet to bash a phone there despite some ugly crashes. I won't carry tools strapped to my body. But my phone doesn't worry me since it lays flat in my pocket.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,926
The right front pants pocket is a no-no. DAMHIK.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
cell phones are unsafe, they emit electromagnetic radiation. They also contain a GPS chip for the purpose of espionage

throw the damn thing away
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,248
I normally wear a water-resistant fanny pack, in the front, that holds my phone, charger, wallet (sometimes) or whatever I would want to get to easily while out riding.

It's not fasionable, but being in the front and mid or lower abdomin, it seems like I wouldn't roll over it much if I was conscious and in a tuck as I rolled out of a get-off. No guarantees, but it works for me compared to the limited space/pockets in many summer mesh jackets.

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Invisi...rds=fanny+pack

Extreme Pak Invisible Pattern Camo Water Repellent Waist Bag

by BF Systems

I'm not a camo-wearing guy, but for function it fit the bill, so it got bought and continues to get used.

But I don't ride a sport bike anymore. With a sport bike the tanks would normally interfere with a pack in the front.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,560
Tank Bag.

The only things you want to carry on your body are things that will crush before you do. E.G. Hanky, muesli bars, ear plugs...

The things you want quick access too, and don't want to leave parked on the bike should go into your tank bag. E.G. Phone, wallet, camera, pens and paper, maps, sunscreen, sunglasses, lip balm...
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I normally wear a water-resistant fanny pack, in the front, that holds my phone, charger, wallet (sometimes) or whatever I would want to get to easily while out riding.

It's not fasionable, but being in the front and mid or lower abdomin, it seems like I wouldn't roll over it much if I was conscious and in a tuck as I rolled out of a get-off.
Who says it's not fashionable?

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
plugged in and charging in my rigid tailbox.

"When" I crash, slide off the road, and lay there waiting for help or for the tigers to come eat me, I can listen to tunes for awhile on my iphone, cause it will be totally charged and topped off at the precise moment of IMPACT !
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Six of one, half dozen of the other. You can rationalize any scenario. I carry my phone on me in a pocket that I could reach with either hand if I needed to due to injury (of course the pocket is easier to reach with one hand or the other).

I want the phone on me so that depending upon my injuries I can call from where I am lying and not have to move to get back to my bike. I have been primarily a dirt rider though nowadays I ride more dualsport and even some paved-road-only rides on my big bike. As a dirt rider I have been in hundreds of crashes and have yet to be injured by my phone.

I don't use a tank bag so can hardly keep a phone (or anything else) in one and that still would mean the phone is with the bike and not with me. I have been in crashes where my bike slid down into a ravine or down a hill leaving me at the top. Seems to me you could fall on your tank bag as easily as fall on your phone. As for packs, a belt pack in front might be easy enough to reach but I simply don't like one there while riding. And you could fall on that too! Back packs or belt packs in back are not as easy to reach and again you could fall on them.

It's almost funny how people worry about falling on their phone yet mount all kinds of stuff on their handlebars that is sometimes rather sharp, and they don't worry about falling on that. Or they have metal cases on the bike and don't worry about being injured by those. I have broken off handlebar mounted stuff with my body during crashes.

I carry a rugged phone in either a side, chest or pants cargo pocket as the case may be. On dirt rides I don't always wear a jacket (I have a rigid chest protector) but my dirt pants have cargo pockets. On dirt rides I will wear a Camelbak with pockets but those pockets could be hard to get to depending on injury sine I'd have to take the pack off. I will take my chances on a phone bruise in order to have it within reach.

It's funny, a rider who says his jacket armor broke seven of his ribs says you shouldn't have a phone in your jacket because it might injure you; from his example it looks like you shouldn't have armor in your jacket either!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Right sleeve pocket of my Darien. It's a cheap ass flip phone so I don't care if it gets damaged. Another one is like $19.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
I am amused by the people who are concerned they could be injured by falling on their wallet.

The wallet is padding, dammit.

Rocks, curbs, guardrails, cars, and they're worried about their wallet hurting them???
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #15
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
There are some things I really don't want strapped to my body. Those reside in an enduro bag. But then I am an offroad oriented guy. Therefore it is matter of when not if I crash hard. So it only makes sense to not want to fall on pointy things.

But my cell phone, keys, wallet, etc. aren't things I worry about. In that case common sense and convenience win. Hell even my 7" tablet goes in a jacket pocket. However, things like tire irons, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. do not get strapped to me.

I think that goes back to a wreck I worked as a firefighter. A woman I knew had been impaled by something from inside her car. She wasn't in immediate danger and I had to leave her hanging upside down like that. That one really stuck with me.