Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,573
The FZ6R thread/info center

Hi,

Well I saw the FZ6 thread and read it all (except 2-4 pages) and only found negative stuff about the fz6R, negative in the sense of nobody wanting to talk about this bike because it is crap and stuff like that.

So i would like for owners to talk about their bikes the likes and dislikes of the bike, and if there is someone who went from this to the FZ6 or 8,1 if you like to compare it, then it is valid! just help us (the none and potential owner) to understand the case, words like "crap" or "cheap" do not help when comparing bikes unless you have been on the bike.

Ok, let's what you got!

Damasovi
Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I'll be watching this thread with interest. I would really like a FZ6 or FZ6R in the near future as it seems they fit my bike wants and needs in a comfortable ride. I too have heard the comments about how the FZ6 is a better bike than the FZ6R. I like them both and only really concentrated on the FZ6 because there are a lot of used examples in th $3K to $3500 range on the market. But now that the FZ6R has been around a few years, they are popping up on the used market more frequently. I'm a pretty conservative rider and doubt that I could even tell the difference in the two bikes from a performance standpoint. The seat does look more comfy on the older model. I also think the older model of the FZ6 looks better but I think I would be happy with either one.

I, too, would like to hear some real world owner reviews from the FZ6R riders.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,678
I am not an R rider, but I did own the FZ6 for a while. It's a great bike, but the seat was BAD, at least for me. Corbin cured it. Other than that, I really had no issues with it. The only reason I got rid of it was because I was wanting a BMW (mistake) and SWMBO couldn't understand the need for more than one motorcycle.

When Yamaha came out with the R, the writing was on the wall for the FZ6. It was going away. I was disappointed, and like many in the FZ6 crowd, immediately wrote the R off as "crappy".

I was wrong. I have come to see that the R is a very nice bike in it's own right. It gets great reviews, and is a better competitor against the Ninja 650 and the GSX650 than the FZ6 was. Not because it's a better bike than the FZ6, but because it is a better bike than either of those and allows Yamaha some room to compete on price. Yamaha came out with the FZ8, and the way I see things, that is the replacement for the FZ6.

I think the R is a great looking bike, and I like the under belly muffler much better than the under seat mufflers on the FZ6. It runs smaller (less expensive) tires than the FZ6, and I assume insurance would be a bit less, but who knows?

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Brian O.
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have a 2011 FZ6R and really like my bike. I think it has good power, handling, and brakes . Being older ( 50 ) it suits me well and I feel very comfortable riding it. It feels very stable on the highway and I have ridden it in a bad rain storm where it performed excellent. The seats not great, but i will get a airhawk to correct that. overall, a good solid economical bike that runs flawlessly.
Brian O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Brian,

THank you for your psot, it is helpful!

Damasovi
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Having ridden both the FZ6 and FZ6R I can say without a doubt in my opinion the FZ6R is a much superior motorcycle for the demographic it's aimed at. That is a budget street oriented street motorcycle. I've also noticed the legion of people who seem to automatically assume the FZ6 is the better motorcycle based on the stat sheet (FZ6 has more horsepower! FZ6 has aluminum frame! etc) and who constantly put down the FZ6R as a crap bike but in reality, the FZ6R is way more refined. It has a better clutch, a smoother engine, a more exploitable powerband, the steel frame actually improves balance and mass centralization - and it just overall rides and feels like a much better motorcycle. The best way I can describe it is it feels as if the FZ6 was a bike developed in the late 90s, with all the quirks those bikes had. The FZ6R feels like a modern motorcycle up to today's higher standards.

Still the FZ6 is a great bike, and with used prices so low it is a pretty screaming deal used especially compared to a new FZ6R which is a bit expensive - I just think the owners should stop bashing the new bike so much especially considering from what I can tell most haven't even ridden it.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Yamarocket630
Lurker

Oddometer: 395
My wife got a new FZ6R last year. I didn't want to like it, I was mad that Yamaha quit making the original FZ6. Then I rode it and fell in love with the bike. It's smooth and has great torque for a 600. On our test ride with me on my vfr750 and her on the FZ6R, it flat out walked away from my stock VFR on a 60mph top gear roll. It has decent suspension for a budget bike, the brakes are more than adequate and its COMFORTABLE to ride. Even the exhaust note is acceptable, and I generally hate the sound of a buzzy inline 4. The only think I think it needs is a larger tank.

It may well be my next bike if I ever decide to sell my VFR750. (not hers, but another one)

Yamarocket630 screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 03:19 PM
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
jearnshaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I myself just purchased a leftover 2012 FZ6R about a month ago and since then I have put about 2000 miles on her and I still love riding it....

I do agree the stock seat does need some attention, I did a 1000 mile round trip and I could only run about 100 miles before I have to get off and walk around for a minute or two before getting back on.

Gas millage gas been great, I have been averaging close to 50 mpg but I know the speedo is off by 5 mph so I am sure the fuel millage is closer to 45 46 mpg which isn't too bad.

For the horsepower it has fine to me where as this is the fastest bike I have been on to date. I had a 2009 Honda Shadow Aero 750 for about 6 months before this so yeah my FZ6R feels a lot better. But I have ridden many different bikes before my Shadow.

All in all I am very happy with the bike....yes there is a lot better options out there but not as comfortable or offer as good fuel millage. And the price is great as well so it leaves you money left over to upgrade the bike the way you want it.
jearnshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
pinarello rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Just put a deposit down on a 2012 Yamaha FZ6R. It was a good deal from a shop right around the corner from me and I can't wait. Hopefully pick it up this week.

I was looking to replace my '02 883 Sportster with another sportster as the one I have is someone upright, and there are good dealer networks. Lots of support, and the 883, all things considered, is pretty bulletproof, if uninspiring from a performance standpoint. So I decided to open up my options a bit, just for giggles, and found a shop that had the new Honda CBR500's, a FZ6r, and a Kawasaki ENR6. Really liked the upright seating position and the ergonomics of all of them. They all reminded me a lot of my road bike from a position standpoint. I know I can ride for hours like that, so I'm good with it. Found another shop that had a leftover marked down quite a bit, and decided to pull the trigger.

My goals: build a sport-tourer for commuting mostly, but I do hope to hit the blueridge mountains and some of the country roads around here for some touring. I expect to had a trunk, maybe some hardbags, and enjoy it.

I'll post some picks when I go to pick up the bike.

Anyhow - see you on the road.
pinarello rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

congats amigo!!!

when you get some miles on the FZ let's us know what you feel, like, dislike or any toughs!

I hope you like ti!!

Damasovi
Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
jearnshaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinarello rider View Post
Just put a deposit down on a 2012 Yamaha FZ6R. It was a good deal from a shop right around the corner from me and I can't wait. Hopefully pick it up this week.

I was looking to replace my '02 883 Sportster with another sportster as the one I have is someone upright, and there are good dealer networks. Lots of support, and the 883, all things considered, is pretty bulletproof, if uninspiring from a performance standpoint. So I decided to open up my options a bit, just for giggles, and found a shop that had the new Honda CBR500's, a FZ6r, and a Kawasaki ENR6. Really liked the upright seating position and the ergonomics of all of them. They all reminded me a lot of my road bike from a position standpoint. I know I can ride for hours like that, so I'm good with it. Found another shop that had a leftover marked down quite a bit, and decided to pull the trigger.

My goals: build a sport-tourer for commuting mostly, but I do hope to hit the blueridge mountains and some of the country roads around here for some touring. I expect to had a trunk, maybe some hardbags, and enjoy it.

I'll post some picks when I go to pick up the bike.

Anyhow - see you on the road.
Speaking of the Blue ridge mountains...if you ever make your way down to NC I live on the Parkway and can show you some good roads to visit on.

And I am as well making my bike into a sport-tourer as well. I just got my seat re-foamed with some better foam and I have a touring windshield on order.
jearnshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
pinarello rider
Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearnshaw View Post
Speaking of the Blue ridge mountains...if you ever make your way down to NC I live on the Parkway and can show you some good roads to visit on.

And I am as well making my bike into a sport-tourer as well. I just got my seat re-foamed with some better foam and I have a touring windshield on order.
Thanks for the offer!! I don't know how far I'll get - with family responsibilities, I have to keep the Pinarello Rider solo weekends to a minimum. I think I am going to go the Givi route for the rear-top pack, and possibly a Kreiga daypack for the rear seat. Thinking about saddle bags, but not so sure for the moment. We'll see what happens.

Going to get bike in 1.5hours. Excited.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
BCinMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I'm also looking at the FZ6R and am talking to a local dealer that has a 2009 with 3300 miles on it. He's asking $4700 for it...if I can get it for $4400 OTD I'll get it.

I really like a lot about this bike - great ergos, good power, smooth inline 4, luggage options, and it looks good!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
'09 Kymco Xciting 250Ri
- gone
'96 Nighthawk 750
- gone but not forgotten
BCinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
pinarello rider
Adventurer

I've had the bike for a couple of weeks now, and have a little over 200 miles on it. So far I'm enjoying it immensely. It's not superbike ergo's, so sitting upright for over an hour is fairly comfortable. The seat is not a great fit for me. I've done a couple of hour+ trips on local roads and my arse definitely gets sore. Hopefully I will grow out of that.

The clutch is great, the gearbox has nice feedback when you're in changing gears (there's a noticeable clunk, but it's not abrupt or disruptive), but I'm struggling with getting the smoove shifts. It was a lot easier on my old 883. The throttle is responsive, but not twitchy or jerky, and feels very linear. The brakes are much better than my 883, as you would expect, having dual disk up front. Wind buffeting is minimal with the stock screen - on my 883 when I took the full windshield off I always felt like I was getting punched in the chest by the airflow. At 70mph on the FZ6r it is vastly more gentle. I have a hard time hearing the engine at highway speeds but that is probably more to do with my helmet aerodynamics than anything else (I have a Scorpion Exo 700).

Accleration is smooth, predictable, and stable. I haven't let it get above 6k much because I'm still in the breakin period, but up to that it's very snappy. The rear suspension seems to wallow a little bit, but the factory sets it to 3, and I have heard riders usually go up to 5 (out of 7) for stiffness. It seems to take a long long to rebound.

As I said, I'm still in the breakin period, but I'm able to corner as quickly as I am comfortable so far. I am sure I'm not even coming to close to it's limits, but I have definitely reached my person cornering limits.

Not a lot in the way of aftermarket for the bike, and outside of the fz6r forum, there doesn't seem to be a lot of noise about the bike. Most reviews I've read seemed to have summed up the bike pretty well - I can't vouch for the comparisons as the only other bike I've ridden is my 883. Givi and Shad are the only hard bag suppliers, with a couple of other soft case companies. I bought a 23/29 litre motocentric bag that so far is very nice, but I've noticed there are no hooks on the top so I'll have to find another manner to last a sleeping bag or tent to the top of it. Aftermarket seats are also limited. I have found the tankbag to be really useful and even when expanded it stays snuggly in place and I hardly notice it's there.

The instrumentation is nice - the digital speedo is sized well, and the tach is very useull when observing the break in period. It's also very nice to have a fuel gauge and engine temp guage. I haven't tracked fuel mileage precisely, but I figure I'm in the 35-40 range, but I understand most riders are well into the 40's once its all broken in. The bike is water cooled so there is another reservoir to keep an eye on. Sadly, it is behind the fairing on the right side, so getting at it requires fairing removal or contortionist capabilities. Filling it also requires removal of the fairing. The rear brake tank is (you guessed it) behind the fairing. Oh, and the manual recommends removing the fairing prior to every ride to check the coolant level. That's not real user friendly.

Last criticism is cleaning it. The harley was much easier. There are so many cracks and crevices on this, and so many different materials - from various surfaces to painted surfaces - it will be a reall pain to keep it as clean as I would like.

All in all, no regrets. The bike is going to do exactly what I wanted it to do at a price point I was comfortable with. The price to add touring options (cases and saddlebags) is fairly low, and right out of the box it is very capable. I'm 5'9" and fit very comfortably in the cockpit. The location of important things and access may turn me off of putting knobby tires on it to ride off into the sunset on a dirt road, but if you are going to keep it on the street, or at least on the map, there shouldn't be any issues.

Any how, I may road trip to VIR for camping in the coming weeks, and I may try to ride down. If that doesn't happen, I may head out to the skyline drive. Either way, I'll be back with more impressions.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #15
Tnbrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
FZ6R Bhp

Hi,after a comment on another thread i started,i've been reading about the FZ6R.
In a couple of posts,i've read that the FZ6R is the same bike that we have in the UK but called the Diversion F.
If that is the case,there a few variations available of the Diversion & the quoted BHP is 76.4 not somewhere in the 60's as stated in the thread,all this is assuming that the FZ6R is the same bike as the XJ6 Diversion F(to give it its full title),it looks identical.
I've posted this for information only.
Tnbrit is offline   Reply With Quote