User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
scottalot OP
Blank Space

Oddometer: 140
Volvo Car Knowledge Needed

Looking at buying a new to me used car or truch since I sold my truck. Really don't care to much which one I get.

I do have some draw towards the Volvo Station Wagons, my age is showing lol..

I'm a little nervous about getting one though, esp with turbo. I hear the turbo's go out and are very expensive to fix..

So, are my sources right? Should I run from a volvo, esp one with turbo.. How are the $'s on general repairs?

One I'm looking at is a 2002 Volvo V70 Turbo with 86,000 miles on it.. Thanks in advance for any info..
Old 03-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 150
Only experience I have with a volvo is my buddies 03 s80 twin turbo.

In the year he has had it he has had issues with, vac lines, throttle body unit, axle, blinker housing, turbo inlet hoses, turbo oil line, power steering line, and oil around the top of the sparkplugs. Interior would have speaker grill falling off, buttons that are sticking, center console door issues and problems reading codes (attributed to the throttle sensor issue).
Now this could all be due to poor maintenance from the original owner, but its not my car.

Under 70k miles but it was cheap and it has not left him stranded yet.

I have always wanted an 850R wagon.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
muddywater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
All my Volvos have been rear wheel drive. A total of four.
They required some care and tinkering but were solid cars.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Volvo after Ford = bad news.

I've been involved in the car repair industry and so I get
to see more stuff than someone who just owns a car.

There are aspects of the design of newer Volvos which are appalling.
For example in some engines the valve cover is the upper cam bearing.
That's done to save money and probably also to make robotic assembly
more practical but it's just not good engine design. I would not want a Volvo
made since Ford became involved even though the R wagon is fun and definitely
quick for a wagon.

If you stated what you actually need the car to do it would be easier to
make a recommendation. But you do seem to want a wagon.

I love wagons. I think it's the most practical car design
ever, and I think it is pathetic that the SUV idiocy has taken
over to the extent it has.

If you have to get a wagon get a Subaru with a manual
transmission. They will do pretty much anything you need a
car to do and they are very reliable as long as you buy carefully.
Some of the 2.5 liter engines had problems with head gaskets so
you need to educate yourself before just going out and buying any
old Subaru. Best to pay a PRO who is very familiar with the make of car
you're interested in to do a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection before buying
ANY used car unless you are truly expert on the car on question. Asking questions on this
forum is NOT an substitute for a professional inspection.

I love German cars but if I had to buy a new wagon it would be a Subaru,
without question.

A newer Volvo ? No way. Now, the older Volvos ( e.g. 245 wagon ) were
super reliable tanks though they were pretty boring to drive. If all you need is two wheel
drive and you can find a solid 245 Volvo, that IS a car that was built to last and if
you take care of it the thing can be passed down to your children.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 03:26 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
scottalot OP
Blank Space

Thanks everyone for the replies.. Those were enough to scare me away from a newer Volvo.. I do like the older ones still and have known many to run forever and ever..

I do like the Subaru wagons as well.. Those are actually at the top of the list next to the Volvo wagons.. I must admit I know nothing whatsoever about the Subaru's in terms of longevity and cost of repairs.

I'm really open to my next vehicle. Basically, I'm looking for reliability, affordable repairs, and something that I can fit my wife, youg daughter, and sometimes the dog into. I would also like to be able throw some stuff from lowes in the back from time to time. However, I can work with that a little as I still have a little 4'x8' trailer that I use for little odd's and ends such as towing the Bike.

Also, what year did Ford take involvment within Volvo?
So, I need to be able to tow a little,m albeit very rarely. I would love an extended cab toyota but people are very proud of those with the prices I'm seeing. I'd rather not get something with 200k miles and would also like to stay in the $5k range.. I may be asking a lot but it is what it is.. Oh, and I do not want another V-8 for now.. Trying to get some better mpg's that the Hemi I just got rid of..

scottalot screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 03:37 PM Reason: thought
scottalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
I must admit I know nothing whatsoever about the Subaru's in terms of longevity and cost of repairs.
Now subaru on the other hand I do know about.

I have a 2003 wrx currently with 200K on it, I have had to replace the valve cover gaskets once and the oil fill tube gasket once. The rest, standard oil changes and the rest. I have owned 13, yes 13 different subaru's. Get an older outback or forester and it should treat you right, want more power and a manual, get a wrx wagon.

Repair prices are not bad, independent shops charge about the same as any import repair place. Parts are easy enough to get from the dealer or many smaller retailers, and the fan base/owners are rabid for the brand and have lots of forums for support.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
scottalot OP
Blank Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozirra View Post
Now subaru on the other hand I do know about.

I have a 2003 wrx currently with 200K on it, I have had to replace the valve cover gaskets once and the oil fill tube gasket once. The rest, standard oil changes and the rest. I have owned 13, yes 13 different subaru's. Get an older outback or forester and it should treat you right, want more power and a manual, get a wrx wagon.

Repair prices are not bad, independent shops charge about the same as any import repair place. Parts are easy enough to get from the dealer or many smaller retailers, and the fan base/owners are rabid for the brand and have lots of forums for support.

You make for a tempting example of ownership :) I have always liked those as well.. If I do buy one it will be a wagon for sure. If you all can't tell I'm itching for a wagon. Sold the big truck and would like to have a good ol comfy long lasting wagon to replace it with. I'm on the serious look out and its just a matter of finding a non-abused decent priced one out there. Be it the older Volvo or a Subaru, although now I feel a slight lean towards the Subaru.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Ford no longer owns Volvo. They're owned by the Chinese...

My girlfriend owns a 2002 Volvo S60. T5, AWD, auto. It's a low pressure turbo and has no extra maintenance issues to be concerned with.

In general it's been a good car. Coming up on 180k miles it started skipping the 2-3 shift. A shop quoted her $5k for a transmission.

I looked around and found her symptoms, and they were the result of a servo cover failure. $30 part, with a bit of fiddling to get it compressed well enough to get the snap ring in.

Problem solved.

I've owned a couple of BMWs (3 series, perfectly reliable cars), and I've been driving a 2005 Subaru Outback XT (2.5 turbo), which I've bumped up to stage 2. Much higher risk of ingesting a turbo.

The thing hauls serious ass and is a freak in the snow and mud.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 373
You can stuff motorcycles in an XC70! I love mine!

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
I don't want to be negative about any automaker but I am not too found of 4WD because my friend who has a subary legacy wagon had to replace the four tires because one went bad on him, it has something to do with the diameter of the tire and the computer sychronization of the wheels, or something like that, and he also had to replace a radio but somehow he could not use the same wire connector to the new radio and he had to wait for good while to have a COMPLETE wire harness to be sent to the dealer from Japan.

I have not needed a 4WD since I got my drivers license in 1974 it also has to do with no snow or muddy roads where I am.

My two wheel drive car seen to be just perfect for my needs.

Good luck.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
scottalot OP
Blank Space

I don't really need an all AWD myself. However, if I find a good car for the money I'm not to discouraged by it. Its weird to have to replace all tires if one goes out.. I do not know much about this situation but it sounds like a service station pulled some BS on him. . . As for the radio thing that's odd. I would've just cut off the old factory connection and wired a new radio in myself. We used to do that all the time growing up. That is only if there wasn't a factory plug made that would tie into the cars plug that was a direct fit for the new deck.. Just my .02 ..

Well, back on the hunt today. Seeing some decent deals out there but man alive there are folks in the market with high miles on their cars. I just can't see paying 7G's for a 12 yr. old Sub/Volvo with 250K miles on it.. I found one 97' Subaru Wagon w/ 130,000 miles on it for around 3K.. Thought great- as I read the add it had been sitting for a year and a half and looked like it had taken a beating. Flat tire, paint coming off, old fuel gumming things up??
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,420
Mr Canoehead.... " The only issue has been that it eats bulbs - seems like every couple of months, another bulb goes and I have become an expert at replacing them."

you need to get a meter on that soon. I had an '83 242 that had really nice bright lights... then it boiled the battery, and as they say.... the light went on (in my head). there is no over voltage warning on that car & the regulator was shot. long/short... I replaced bulbs left & right.... then the switches. headlight, ignition, etc.... when the car overvolts it also over amps & cooks the contacts in the switches

I learned to drive in a 1961 122... it was later to be my first car (in 1967). over the next 2 decades I owned half a dozen Volvos. the 242 was the last of the line... I bought it new (demo) in 84.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Scottalot,

Are you going to maintain it yourself, or will you be bringing it to a shop?

If you're going to maintain it yourself, consider an early 90's RWD Volvo. There is simply not an easier car to maintain than a 740/940, period. Front engine, rear drive, solid rear axle, simple Bosch fuel injection. I own a '93 940 Turbo. We owners lovingly refer to them as Swedish Pickup Trucks.

I have 300K miles on mine. Doesn't burn a drop of oil. It's a magnificent trailering vehicle. I pull a 3000 lb camper with mine. Excellent rust resistance too: a rusted out 940 is unheard of.

I'm not crazy about Volvo's FWD format. I suppose it's no worse than anyone else's -- and probably better than some. But when my 940 needs to be replaced, I'll likely be switching brands. Probably to a Toyota Pickup.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Mr Canoehead.... " The only issue has been that it eats bulbs - seems like every couple of months, another bulb goes and I have become an expert at replacing them."

you need to get a meter on that soon. I had an '83 242 that had really nice bright lights... then it boiled the battery, and as they say.... the light went on (in my head). there is no over voltage warning on that car & the regulator was shot. long/short... I replaced bulbs left & right.... then the switches. headlight, ignition, etc.... when the car overvolts it also over amps & cooks the contacts in the switches
Thanks for the concern, but it has been doing that since day 1 and the first battery lasted 10 years, so after 12 years I'm pretty sure the problem hasn't gotten worse and isn't doing any real damage.

When it was on warranty, the dealer replaced the bulbs for free, but when the warranty expired and I had them replace one tail light bulb, they charged me $27! After that, I went to NAPA and stocked up on $1.49 bulbs. I just replaced another running light bulb this morning - took about 5 mins.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
My wife has an 01 S40 which she bought new. It's needed a few things in the last year, but heck it's a 12 year old car. At about 110k it needed ball joints and control arm bushings, also I've cleaned the vvt unit a few times and if the thermostat isn't perfect, it sets off the CEL. We will be replacing it within the next year or so with a V50, so yea, we've been happy with the Volvo ownership.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote