Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,132
Question A question about using a ramp to load bikes in a pickup...

I bought this ramp...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-lb...amp-94057.html

Now, I need to get two Honda PCX 150s in the back of a 6.5' bed of the GMC in this photo...

I mentioned that I have been riding motorcycles for 45 years... the key word in that sentence is: riding. Not hauling in a pickup. Yes, I've had Harleys, and, yes, I've heard all the old jokes about hauling them. BUT, I was not one of those hauling kinda guys. I do have a cargo trailer that I've hauled bikes in, but that is 1348 miles away right now. So, I know how to strap the bikes down, I have decent racheting straps... I'm just wondering if there is a BEST TECHNIQUE for getting these scooters up that ramp with my big burly self and my pretty-but-tough wife?

I have considered waiting in the truck while she gets them loaded, but the couch is a cold, lonely place... so, I figure I'll have to participate.

Any helpful tips, suggestions, or techniques are appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Captain Jim
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,173
Personally, I wouldn't try riding up. I would walk the scoot up.

Find a high curb and back up to it. Then the ramp angle won't be as great. I also had a guy tell me he used to back his pickup into a drainage ditch and then put the ramp from the truck to the dirt. He said it was then almost level.

Just my .02
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,733
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2EfB...e_gdata_player

Check this out before you use ramps

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
aj_day
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2EfB...e_gdata_player
Check this out before you use ramps
None of those people were going fast enough, that is the problem! But seriously, I would not ever recommend riding the bike up the ramp.

It looks like you picked a nice looking ramp, particularly because of the extra width. I like to power the bike up the ramp very slowly while I am walking beside it. Do the reverse on the way down, with your hand on the brake.

Heavy bikes can be a little tricky coming down because you can only cover the front brake, and most of the weight is on the back wheel. The front tire will slide a little bit if you get going too fast and then jab the brake. I suspect you will not have this problem with the PX150's because they are not very heavy.

Take it slow and easy, and you will be fine.
aj_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Ah, we scooter pilots can cover both brakes at the handlebars. Other than the strapping situation, it was really a non-event with the ramp.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
Captn Jim, where do you put the ramp after you have loaded the bikes?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
I load bikes into the back of my truck all the time. Here's my setup:

I have a 7' folding aluminum ramp and a step stool. I just walk the bikes up and use the stool to get into the bed. I normally don't have the engines running but I used to load a R1100GS by myself and needed to use the motor to get up the ramp. It makes it easier if your truck is parked facing downhill or if you can do something to reduce the angle of the ramp. One thing to watch out for is that scooters tend to have low clearance and may ground out on the truck bed. I had that problem and here is my solution:

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Canyon Dancer strap

Since you have plastic over the frame you may need Canyon Dancers that attach to your handgrips and serve as an anchoring point left and Right. Since you did not mention this concern I thought you may be familiar with Canyon Dancers, if not you may need to buy some.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 530
Back up to someone's driveway, where the driveway goes uphill some from the street. Just back up until your rear wheels settle in the gutter. The ramp from the driveway to the truck will be pretty level. And those step stools really help too, so you can step from the ground to the stool to the truck, while pushing the scooter.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Thanks for the suggestions! I did find a place in the RV park we are in that will give me a better angle with the ramp. My plan is to walk the bikes up the ramp, maybe using the motor to help. The idea of a step stool is great - I'll plan for that.

Thanks again, and still open to any other suggestions. I have a week or so before I need to do this - just getting some background on doing it right.

I have Soft Ties that wrap around the handlebars, instead of the Canyon Dancers.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

CaptnJim screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 11:28 PM
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Personally, I wouldn't try riding up. I would walk the scoot up.

Find a high curb and back up to it. Then the ramp angle won't be as great.
^^^this^^^
Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I had a Z71 Sierra for years and found myself doing this solo most of the time. I 'd look around for commercial loading docks (after hours) and back the truck as close as possible. I've never had a problem. In your travels, check out the back side of furniture stores, large groceries, etc. You can be in and out in just a couple of minutes.

Since you've got 4WD, backing the Chevy into a ditch and crossing over from the other side using a short ramp can also work.

Now that I've downsized to a Tacoma, I've considered mounting an inexpensive Harbor Freight hand winch to the front of the bed of the truck or my 10' trailer for loading riding mowers, heavy parts, etc. An electric winch would be even better and could be done one handed. Straddle the bike to steer and let the winch do the work.

MiniBike screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 08:31 PM
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #13
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,055
I always ride mine up. But 2 considerations when you do it.......
1. MEAN IT! None of this namby-pamby "what if? but what about? crap, you need at least fast jogging pace all the way up the ramp.
2. getting them down is a bitch. You're reversing backwards with no room to touch your feet. I was never very good at maintaining balance going backwards, it was all weird for me (but then again, I also fall over when I hold out my arms and shut my eyes! )

One easier way is to buy a small electric winch with a 5m lead. Go up backwards, then getting it down you just roll it off easy.

Another way is to fit a 750kg small crane designed for the back of utes. Plenty of my drag mates use these to get Big ugly slammed (2" clearance tops) 'Busa's off a trayback ute with 950mm deck height.

3. This is my personal favourite........ditch th truck and ride the scoots everywhere!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #14
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
That video of the fails is great! Almost been there a few times myself.

Best advice I can give is find a depression (ditch) for rear wheels of truck to drop into. (Makes HUGE difference). I've never had to look for more than 5 minutes in a given area to find something that'll work. Most furniture stores have a loading dock and a case of beer will usually get your bike up on it. ;). (Grain stores, etc)

If you have two people I've found having one person in the back with a firm grip on any rack you may have back there and "pushing" helps ALOT. The key thing is to have someone there to provide stability when you make "the step" into and out of the bed. (The step stool is a good idea, but do everything in your power to reduce the ramp angle and minimize the step height)

Personally I would not have the motor running and would never ride anything but a dirt bike in and only then if I had a long bed truck.

Just my .02 based on years of stupidity. :)
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 539
I'll add that in Klav's post #5 on this thread...he's got a stool to the left of the ramp. That mid point step up to the truck bed is ESSENTIAL IMO. It makes walking up with your scoot very easy.

Also...I find it helpful to leave the enrich/choke on a bit so I am at higher idle.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote