User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,206
Should I buy cheap offroad boots?

I'm thinking about getting some entry-level offroad boots. I'm getting a dualsport that I'm planning to use primarily for trail/offroad riding. I'm not going to be tearing through trails at high speeds or tackling anything overly difficult... But I know from my past limited dirt experience that I fall a lot when I'm off the road! I somehow lucked out and never sustained any serious injuries even though I'd only ride in sneakers or maybe some hiking boots if I was lucky. I've since grown up a bit and wised up as well.

Here's the thing, I already have a good pair of riding boots, the Sidi Adventure Goretexes, that I wear on my street bike. I love 'em, but wonder if they'll offer enough protection for offroad riding. I'd like something a bit taller and stiffer.

I really don't have a ton of money to spend on boots at the moment. Does anyone have any good suggestions for boots in the sub-$150 range? I don't need all the bells and whistles; safety is my primary concern here. Is there anything in this price range that offers much better protection than what I already have? Or should I just use my Sidis? Maybe wait a few months and buy something in a higher price range?

EDIT: I already bought boots. I went with the Gaerne GX-1s.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014

max384 screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 09:10 PM
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,432
Don;t go cheap, look for inexpensive

My Axo Prime (about to retire) saved my feet more times than I can count when I hit a rock that was so deep in mud that was invisible, when I slid a few dozen feet with the bike on my ankle, when.... You get the picture.

Eventually, I did rip a strap off and if they still made them, I would buy another pair. Unfortunately, they don't, so I'm looking for something else.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 946
I have the $100 MSR and have been happy with them. They are not at all waterproof. I had had my KLR resting on them and I walked away with out a "hitch". Much better than any street or light "adventure" boot can be. Same boot from Fox and the Thor Fazer(?) and other brands as well. Use them for a while then sell them when you can afford to upgrade. The important thing is:
  1. Ride
  2. Be Protected

Mark
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Look for good used boots rather than new.

One serious foot or lower leg injury can cost more than the houses
many people are paying mortgages on, so think twice about going
cheap on boots.

Used Sidis would be a MUCH better choice than new cheap
boots. If you search Craigslist you can find deals, but you need to
be patient and be ready to strike when the right deal comes along.

You get one set of legs and feet at birth. There are no warranty replacements.
Cheap boots are a bad idea, period.

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,746
The reason I still have a left foot is because of Tech 8 boots. So my input is get the very best you can.

Marc
Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
the reason i still have a left foot is because of tech 8 boots. So my input is get the very best you can.

Marc
1+
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,461
If one decides to do the lace up boots... watch out for the strings getting hung up on the shifter or the brake pedal.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Yup,make sure what size you wear in various boots and buy used,lots of good ones come up on ADV. Alpinestars/SIDI/Gaerne/

Alpinstar Tech 7's are a good dirt boot,older Tech 6's in good shape are great also. Ive found good used Tech 6's for 60.00,just check em over good.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
It's very easy to screw up your ankles or feet so don't go cheap, like they say get used if you have to! Unfortunately I had my tech 8's cut off my feet after a major crash where I broke my femur last summer. That really sucked as my backups are tech 3's which I find don't have that great protection.

IMO the sidi adventures are not suitable at all for serious dual sporting, ok for occasional gravel roads but on the trail no way.

By the way I bought the tech 8's used but in mint condition for half the price of new ones. Bit of a fluke finding them on craigslist given that I wear size 14!
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,206
Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

Let's assume that I don't want to buy used boots. I don't mind buying lots of things used. Boots and helmets are exceptions though, for different reasons. Let's please not get sidetracked into discussing the pros and cons of buying boots used. Thanks.

What are the most inexpensive boots that offer good protection? I understand that the top-of-the-line boots are obviously best, but certainly there are some mid-priced or even budget boots that offer good protection, right? In my experience with protective equipment in general, once you get to a certain point, you're no longer paying for better protection; you're paying for features. I don't need the features; I only need the protection. I can only assume boots are the same way?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToad View Post
It's very easy to screw up your ankles or feet so don't go cheap, like they say get used if you have to! Unfortunately I had my tech 8's cut off my feet after a major crash where I broke my femur last summer. That really sucked as my backups are tech 3's which I find don't have that great protection.

IMO the sidi adventures are not suitable at all for serious dual sporting, ok for occasional gravel roads but on the trail no way.

By the way I bought the tech 8's used but in mint condition for half the price of new ones. Bit of a fluke finding them on craigslist given that I wear size 14!

Your boots cut off your feet!?!?!
I'm definitely not getting those boots!!!!

I read that three times before I figured out that the EMT's cut the boots off of your feet - not that the boots cut off your feet.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Not an expert on everything here but if your looking for some budget boots that offer decent protection check out either the Alpinestar Tech 3 or the Fox Comp 5. Both are good entry level dirt boots and can get them in the aggressive tread if thats what your looking for. I've used both on separate occasions and found that the Fox are broken in easier but I feel they offer slightly less protection than the alpinestars and the buckles are not the best. I still use the Tech 3's as a backup pair and I know that they are incredibly popular for a cheaper boot.

Both pairs seem to be in stock at most dirtbike stores I go to. Go try them on and see what you think. Cycle gear is common and they have them in stock. Keep in mind that neither is waterproof.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #13
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Never skimp on shoes or boots. Most boots last a long time. Buy quality, you can take your time looking for a good price or discount. Remember after your done playing basketball, skiing, rock climbing, and motorcycling you have to walk. If your lucky you have two feet, buy a good foot product for each endeavor. Dont go cheap on your feet.
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,192
Forma Terrain TX Boots http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Ter...ots_p_793.html only a few dollars more than the boots mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but with a mechanical hinge in the ankle. Read the review at Atomic Moto. I think you get the most bang for your buck right now with Forma boots.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
I'm in the same boat as you, mainly ride on-road and have a great pair of Gaerne's for that. My offroad is seldom, and usually confined to a couple months in the summertime.

For that, I wear a pair of Thor Quadrant's. I bought them years ago, but they have held up well, buckles still work as they should and they have solid ankle support and protection. I don't think the Quadrant is still available, but I would venture that any Thor boot will do the job for just under $150.

I also bought a pair of AXO's for my son...Boxer model. Again, no longer made, but the replacement for that boot is also solid and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase and wear it myself, either.

So yes, you can get good protection from a boot that costs less than $180 (esp. if you find them on closeout or discounts).
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote