User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
mikejjmay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
input on next hack project

So im having my gl1500 hacked out with a nice new Kenna sidecar for the longer, trips across the country with my wife. Should hopefully be done sometime in april.

Now its time to start thinking about me . My riding is mostly back paved roads, dirt roads, and fire roads/minimum maintanence. No single track. I currently ride a DL650, but i really prefer driving hacks around, just due to the stability, size, storage space, and the fact I can bring the dogs. So the options for me are:

1) hack the strom with something like a m72D (I like the ural style tubs, any alternative out there to the M72 by DMC?) Strom has 14k miles.

2) get a pre 2007 KLR and hack it with the DMC sidecar frame, and build a cargo box for pups and gear (no monkey on this rig, thats what the wing rig is for, just me and the dogs)

3) get a ural - they are awesome, but just so spendy - I really think I would prefer to spend the money making a really nice custom rig with more modern tech. Only thing i would miss is 2wd, but since I am mostly on dirt plowed roads, i think i would be ok.

Thought and opinion? Im not worried about the 650 engine (strom or KLR) being too small, as I had a hacked KLR before and it was just fine for me.
mikejjmay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Hi Mike, First, Your Kenna frame is off to powder coat this morning so things are moving along with it.
Your DL will work fine. It has more power then the KLR or DR but as you know is heavier. If you like the M72 type sidecars other options include buying a Ural sidecar or a Dnepr sidecar and adapting it. I would skip the Chinese Cj sidecars. They tend to be much heavier and the suspension is not as good. Some the build quality is so bad that we have seen the frames come apart. If you go with a Ural or Dnepr sidecar they are heavier then our M72D and will require you make changes to the sidecar frame as the lower front mounts are not adjustable and the lower rear is to far aft. There is another inmate adding a Dnepr to his Strom right now with our kit for do so. By the time you buy the kit, buy the sidecar and then make the changes to the sidecar you are starting to close in on the base price of our M72D which comes with all of the mounting hardware. For the DL we offer leading legs to lower the steering effort. For the DR we offer nothing at this time however I hope to be buying one soon in order to develop a leading link front end. We offer a leading link front end for the KLR. Another bike to look at, early BMW F650's have come down in price as have BMW R1100GS's. Another option that some people go with rather then our "kenna" type frame and mounts is our Enduro sidecar, It runs $2995 with all of the mounting hardware for any of these bikes. The one up side to the Kenna type frame is that we built it to be able to ship Fed Ex so you are not looking at crating and truck shipping when just the frame is ordered.
If I were doing this for my self, If I were mainly on pavment with light off road I would go with a BMW F650GS and M72D. But if I already owned a DL650 This is the bike I would go with. If I were going more heavy off road I would go with the KLR with an Enduro sidecar. The reason for the KLR instead of the BMW is that even if I have more money into the KLR I find that I never quite care about the bike as much as the BMW and as such tend to have more fun off road with it.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
mikejjmay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply Jay, thats exciting the kenna is at powdercoat, the wife and I are really excited to get riding.

Yea, the more I look at the weight on the ural style cars, the more i'm discouraged by how heavy they are. I had a KLR rig before, and can't imagine all that weight haging off the side of a 650 bike.

Thats very good to know about the shipping for the kenna frame. I think at some point in the near future a frame and mounting kit for the DL may be ordered from you, and then i will just build a cargo box to go on it. This would likely be for an eventual Alaska trip when my brother gets back from deployment.

Thanks for the input as always. If anyone has any DL650 pics with cargo hacks attached that would be awesome!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
mikejjmay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jay, do you have the mountable area dimensions of the Kenna frame (i.e the width of the section that a cargo box could be mounted to)?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
The main frame section is 20 X 40 however the box can over hang the frame. We can also build the frame to most any size you may want. We have in stock the standard sized frames.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
mikejjmay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jay, for bikes that are slightly higher, like the V strom, can a 14inch trailer tire just be used on the frame instead of the 12 to give a little additional ground clearance?