Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Eddy Alvarez OP
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,280
Groundbreaking News that will turn the motorcycle world upside down!

Prepare to be shocked!
Consumer Reports magazine: May 2013
Most reliable motorcycles: Japanese bikes have fewer problems than BMW and Harley models
Yes, the artfully sculpted lines of a BMW motorcycle and the throaty rumble of a Harley V-twin motor can stir your senses. But they’re often accompanied by more problems than Japanese motorcycles from Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. Those are the findings from our first motorcycle reliability survey, conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center, in which we asked subscribers to tell us about any serious problems or repairs they had experienced with their bikes in the previous four years.
As more people take up motorcycle riding, whether to save gas or simply pursue a new or rekindled passion, those new findings can help you avoid problems when you shop for one.
What your mechanic wants you to know: Motorcyclists could easily prevent many of the problems they encounter. That’s the unvarnished message we got from motorcycle mechanics from around the country who discussed common problems they see in their shops. Here’s how to prevent unnecessary expense and downtime:
  1. Stay on top of maintenance. What makes mechanics shake their heads are the regular and egregious examples of neglected maintenance: brake pads worn down to the metal, drive belts and air filters with holes from rocks worn in them, and long-overdue oil changes.
    "Preventive maintenance is definitely the key to motorcycle longevity and keeping your maintenance cost down,” says Joe Dane, master Harley-Davidson mechanic at Motorcycles of Manchester, in N.H. In addition to engine oil, that includes changing brake fluid, which can absorb moisture; lubing chains; aligning wheels, steering heads, and drive belts; and cleaning or changing air filters.
  2. Keep your tires properly inflated. Each mechanic mentioned low tire pressure as a consistent problem. When tires are underinflated, “handling gets really hard, steering gets hard, and the bike doesn’t want to lean,” says Mike Franklin, owner of Mike’s Garage in Los Angeles. “It causes all kinds of problems.” Check the tires’ pressure weekly.
  3. Check the brakes. Motorcycle brake pads cost as little as $50, says Dane, but once they’ve worn too far, “you have to replace the rotors and everything else, and the bill jumps up enormously.” Franklin adds, “When the [brake pads] get down to metal-on-metal, they make an unholy grinding noise. And yet people just continue to ride them.”
  4. Inspect your bike regularly. “Really check your bike over before any long trip,” Dane says. A lot of maintenance is simple stuff that you can easily see: lights, forks, and belts or chains. “Make sure you have no leaks,” he adds.
    Jon Roppe, chief Harley-Davidson instructor at the Motorcycle Maintenance Institute in Phoenix, says, “Everybody wants their bike to look amazing, but they tend to really lose the safety aspect.”
  5. Store the bike properly. Motorcycle storage is a big issue. “It’s the guys who let their bikes sit for weeks and months at a time that run into problems with failures,” Roppe says. His advice: Use fuel stabilizer to keep filters, pumps, carburetors, and fuel injectors from clogging. Lift the tires off the ground to prevent cracking and flat spots. Put a tender, or trickle charger, on the battery to keep it charged. And if you can, store your bike in a garage or under a cover out of the wind.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,854
I was shocked!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
left out too many manufactures to be a valid article. Esp. concerned that BMW in this article is read as "Europe's bike manufactures are not reliable" when one's like Triumph were not even in the evaluation.
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
" in which we asked subscribers to tell us about any serious problems or repairs they had experienced with their bikes in the previous four years"

Just wonderin' how many Harley owners subscribe to Consumer Reports?
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,797
I ride KTM and Buell! What is this reliability you speak of?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloopsrider View Post
" in which we asked subscribers to tell us about any serious problems or repairs they had experienced with their bikes in the previous four years"

Just wonderin' how many Harley owners subscribe to Consumer Reports?
Harley owner here....I subscribe to Consumer Reports and have filled out the annual surveys for the past 3 years in a row. None of them have ever asked any questions about motorcycles.

Not questioning their findings, just wonder who they solicited for that reliability "survey".
Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
I use a guardian bell to prevent oil changes.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
left out too many manufactures to be a valid article. Esp. concerned that BMW in this article is read as "Europe's bike manufactures are not reliable" when one's like Triumph were not even in the evaluation.
Triumph was specifically mentioned!
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 290
While Consumer Reports does publish some truth, I always wonder...who reviews the reviewer? It's like they're annointed by God or something.

Yet...I've seen them ding Corvettes for stiff ride and lack of cupholders.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Yes, the artfully sculpted lines of a BMW motorcycle and...
BMW? Artfully sculpted lines?

Indeed Groundbreaking and Shocking News!
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
BillsburgGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
>>>Preventive maintenance is definitely the key to motorcycle longevity and keeping your maintenance cost down,” says Joe Dane, master Harley-Davidson mechanic at Motorcycles of Manchester, in N.H. In addition to engine oil, that includes changing brake fluid, which can absorb moisture; lubing chains; aligning wheels, steering heads, and drive belts; and cleaning or changing air filters.<<<

Sheesh... You'd think the HD master mechanic would have mentioned the most critical performance maintenance duties: straightening the handlebar tassels, polishing the chrome, and practicing your down low two finger Moto brother wave for hilly curves where that performance is the top of mind skill needed.
BillsburgGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Hah suck it bmw!! My Kawasaki kicks your ass!!
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
Hah suck it bmw!! My Kawasaki kicks your ass!!
KLR, right?

Jim

Edit:

Quote:
shaddix

Gnarly Adventurer

Last Activity: Yesterday 11:25 PM

• About Me
  • Statistics
  • Yo
  • »
About Me
  • About shaddix
    Motorcycles owned currently
    none
Guess not!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
It is funny how different people see things different. If you have ever competed a consumer reports owners survey there is a lot of room for opinion, not facts. The question is have you ever had a serious problem with your bike. I have owned 2 Hondas, combined 50,000 miles. 1 with a serious problems that was a rear wheel bearing. The thing that made it serious was it took the dealer 2 weeks to repair and I had to cancel a trip. I have had 2 Yamaha bikes no problems 2 kawa no problem and 2 beemers with 175,000 miles & no problems. I still think Japanese bike have better reliability but not as easy to fix. I however chose to ride what makes me feel the best. BMW!!!!
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
The only thing I find interesting is the fact that they did a similar survey a few months ago on CARS. The BMW came up DEAD LAST, followed closly behind by VW. I can attest to the validity of the data... having a son who bought a brand new VW and had nothing but trouble with it from day 1. What's up with German engineering??? They used to make some of the best stuff.

Otherwise, no surprise that HD and other non-Japanese bikes are less reliable.