User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
btv5150 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
cruiser to dual sport?

hey guys got a question for you. I currently have a cruiser, and recently have been very tempted to purchase a dual sport. Have any of you been in the same boat? My fear is that I will sell my bike and regret not having any more. I would love to have 2 bikes but my budget just can't do it. I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks
I currently have a 09 shadow 750. And leaning towards the wr250r
btv5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by btv5150 View Post
hey guys got a question for you. I currently have a cruiser, and recently have been very tempted to purchase a dual sport. Have any of you been in the same boat? My fear is that I will sell my bike and regret not having any more. I would love to have 2 bikes but my budget just can't do it. I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks
I currently have a 09 shadow 750. And leaning towards the wr250r
If it's only a money issue and not a space issue you could pick up a second hand DR350 or DR400 very cheaply and try it out. Or you could sell the shadow and buy a second hand DRZ400 and see how you like it before committing more money.

The WR250R is a fantastic little bike from what I've read, I would love to have one! But it's not the cheapest one to buy on a whim.

Overall though I definitely think dual-sports are way more fun than cruisers, you should try it.

Only downside compared to cruisers is that ladies rarely are that impressed by a 10 year old DS bike with dirt allover.... and two-up is seldom that great on a 250 lol.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
KickStart1
Lurking,with intent

Oddometer: 192
Ds ?

Find a bike dealer or a ? that will rent a small Dual sport for a weekend and just ride it,everywhere you want to go. I would look for some thing to buy, thats small and cheap as a first DS . as you may find it suck's and you need to sell it .
KickStart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,737
I think road bikes are pretty nifty,but if you get a dual sport all those dirt roads will now be your extended riding area,and I find my riding skills on the road become more tuned because you'll feel the bike doing things out in the dirt under you that it never does on the street,not sure if that makes sense but you will see if you get a dual sport,like the other fellow said see if you can rent or borrow one because they are a bit different than a smooth cruiser,if I could have 2 bikes 1 would be a street and 1 dual but as I can only have 1 bike it's always a dual sport!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,891
I went from riding old bikes since I was 18, and then to a brand new V Strom. That led to a KTM 640 Adv, for off road travel, which led to the purchase of a KTM 525, and now a 530. No looking back for me, although I'd like a 70's Guzzi back in the stable when I bump into the right one. The new direction has been more fun than I ever could have imagined. Do it, you can always go back.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
I got started on a cruiser too. Bought a small DS and love it so much I'm shopping for a wee strom to more or less replace the cruiser.

It depends on where you live and how you ride. Here in the west I can go in any direction for a week on dirt, so that's how I travel now. I don't have much interest in riding highways anymore. The wee will be for touring 2-up on the forest roads and the 250 is for the tougher stuff and solo. I don't think the cruiser will get much love now, but with 55k miles on the clock it's not worth anything so Ill keep it.

If you live in a concrete jungle then YMMV.

I think if I had to choose one bike it would probably be a DR650. Al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,608
Just get both, or sell your current cruiser and buy a cheap DS and a cheapish cruiser.

Aside from my project bikes, I have a '78 GL1000 (which isn't a cruiser, really, but it's still a long way from a DS) that cost me $400 to purchase and probably another $800 to restore to good riding condition, and a DR350 that I got for the princely sum of $650. You can have two bikes cheap. I think if you added up the cost of all the bikes I've ever owned it would still be far less than one new bike.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
not exactly the boat you're in... but...

i sold a 2000 ZX-7 and bought a '08 KLR 650. i wanted a larger displacement bike. glad i got what i did. wanted something that could haul a load and return decent comfort and performance on the long hauls. i also could not afford to buy another and keep the -7.

i'm very happy with what i got. the KLR cant come close to looking as good or remotely fast as the -7 was, but i am LOVING this bike.

i have regretted every time i sold a bike leaving me bikeless. if you're bored with the one you have now. change it.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
Hi amigo, well I am like you but the other way around from dp to a cruiser? maybe.

here is what I like about my DP (Kawasaki KLR)
a) great comfort for me,
b) can carry a lot of crap (once you put the luggage and racks)
c) fast enough (I do not need to go 100+ mph)
d) good mpg (always over 45 mph) a big tank = big range (over 200 miles before reserve),
e) super after market for what ever I do not like.
f) Ground clearance! I see my cruiser friends slowing down for the twistis since they will hit the road and scrape the floor boards so easy, I can lean more and go faster and no problems. also they also have to slow down for potholes.
g) don't care about the paint, chrome or cleaning it! only chain and cable maintenance.
h) i like the low noise.
i) easy to pick up

Why I want a cruiser
a) wife or back seat companion does not enjoy 5+ hrs on the back banana seat.
b) they look so cool
c) I need another bike! lol!!!
d) they are heavier so wind won't affect you as much as with the lighter bikes (such as the KLR)

So I am saving my dollars and I do have several friends that could lend me their bikes so I can ride them, if that does not happend I will do what they advice you, rent one! yeah it might cost me 200-300 but that is a lot cheaper than buying it! 10,000? yes I like them new, because I do not like to sell them, I like to keep them as long as I can.

The WR is a great bike but very tall (even for a KLR rider) you will notice that just by looking at it. You will not like the 2x4 it has for a seat, but other than that you just my love it! how tall are you? if you are under 5'10" I would say, LOWERING LINKS, I am 5'8" and I do not touch the ground with any feet, not even one! it is too tall for me, the KLR has a 35 in. seat height and I am just ok on level ground, off road I need all the skill I have develop over time.

I hope this was useful

Damasovi
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,826
I enjoy road riding, but it in no way compares to the outright nirvana of riding dirt with friends. The fun quotient cannot be understated.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
First off, to each his own.

But honestly, there are dual sports who are nearly as good if not better at being a "Cruiser" than some cruisers....

There are not cruisers that would be a better dual sport than a dual sport.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
First off, to each his own.

But honestly, there are dual sports who are nearly as good if not better at being a "Cruiser" than some cruisers....

There are not cruisers that would be a better dual sport than a dual sport.
Bingo! After getting my KTM 990 my Roadking Classic didn't leave the barn for over a year and is now in someone elses garage and a KTM 690 will be in mine tomorrow.

The KTM 990 is hands down a better tourer/road bike then the Harley would ever be and the 690 will be my day tripper.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #13
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,836
OP - fill out your profile so folks know what continent you're on. Not much info in your post for the collective to make relevant suggestions.

Do you ride alone, or with friends? If the latter, what do they ride?

Do you ride solo, or 2-up? Most dual sports suck at 2-up. Those that don't suck 2-up tend to suck at off-road.

If you avoid interstate highways anyway, a dual sport is less of a handicap.

Do you tour long-distance, perhaps with camping gear, or day-trip from home?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,791
You!

Probably won"t be very happy going from your Cruiser to a 250 Dualsport. IMHO you'd be way better off going to a larger displacement Dualsport, at least a 650 of some sort or even a larger twin Dualsport. What you have to realize is even though you think you'll do a lot of dirt you will still be doing plenty of pavement to get there. You'll tire of a buzzy, little 250 pretty quick after owning a 750.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,391
i did 7 years ago & will never go back to street bikes.
started with a 500 & 650, now a 350. just keeps getting more fun. less crap to worry about, suspension is competant & the fuel economy is pretty decent
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote