User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
Tibial Plateau fracture - from a kickstarter failure

Sunday March 17th I decided to get my "new" 1947 BSA B31 started for the first time.

To cut a long story short, the kickstarter pawl slipped, I hyper-extended my knee and buggered it up somewhat.

I waited until Monday to head into the hospital, they x-rayed it and sent me home.... nothing showing on the x-ray and the surgeon I'd requested had asked them to organise an MRI. Got the MRI at 7pm Tuesday and the guy there sent me straight back to the emergency dept to get splinted up. Saw the surgeon Wed evening and he immediately scheduled me for a Thursday morning operation.

Here's a shot of the MRI

I'd knocked a 17mm round section of the tibial plateau down into the tibia by 4mm. "This is serious" said the surgeon. I had some arthritic degradation on the left side of the joint (I'm coming up on 58 in July), but the right side and centre of the joint were good.

He said my options were to let it heal by itself, but that would lead to very rapid arthritic degradation of the right side... and I'd just buggered the good centre... so that wasn't a good idea. The next option (recommended) was a stop gap repair - artificial bone graft, plate and screws. I'd still get degradation and would need a full knee replacement sooner rather than later... and the third option (not recc) was a full knee replacement now.

Come Thursday and the op was done. This was a day or so later when they whipped the drain out.

Here's the repair

Nice eh?

The leg is in a brace - locked at 30 degrees, which keeps the joint unloaded apparently. I'm in a rehabilitation hospital now, doing core and upper body exercises to improve my ability on crutches.

The leg is non-load-bearing for 6 weeks, then we see what happens from there. My guess is plenty of physio to get back the muscle wastage, etc.

I've gone from one pill a day to taking about 17 or 18.... which pisses me off. I've cut back on the opiates (Endone) to twice a day.

What a pisser eh?

Here's the Beezer

Should've known by looking at that kickstarter that it wasn't right
Old 03-31-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 494
Sorry to hear, but gods, what a lovely bike!
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
What a sucky thing to have happen.
Been NWB a few times. You leg may look like grandma's dongling, waving in the wind, tricep by the time you get back on it.

Keep everything, and I do mean everything, else strong and maintain a good attitude. That is your new job.

Best wishes!
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
GrouchyGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
The bike is a beauty, and so is your knee. Watch out for the opiates, they can mess you up in so many ways.
Keep moving, stay happy and this too shall pass!
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
bomberdave
black cloud wandering

Oddometer: 811
shit. i plateau fractured my tibia 2 years ago but not that bad. slow speed get off. for what its worth im 100% now- minus a bit of flexability. get the fuck off the opiates as soon as possible.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Good to hear about that (almost) 100% recovery. Too many people telling me "that's the end of dirt bikes for you"... to which I just smile.

Yeah - pretty much off the opiates. I'm still accepting the Targin, but the last Endone I had was 36+ hours ago. I get the staples out today.... so may be tempted to weaken my resolve.

OK - time for my first gym session of the day.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
Your lucky they caught it. I did a similar thing a few years back only i had more compression off the outside of the tibia. I did my first deployment on it then got back and was told it was to late to do surgery or anything. Thank god for the VA
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
You must have better insurance over there. They kick us out of the hospital the day after surgery here.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
ontic

Oddometer: 1,043
Damn Ian, what a bastard of a thing.
I had three knee ops before I was twenty, two of them disasters (one had a major hemorrhage in joint after), and I've spent way too much of my life already crippled and agonised by knee injuries, so I can emphasise very strongly...

I hope the recovery goes well.
Getting round your place in your state must be interesting... barely enough spare space to swing a cat if I remember correctly

I wonder if kickstarting that old thing after this is ever going to be stress free

Good luck, keep up with those bastard exercises and push through that pain.
ontic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
ecphelps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Oh man, that brings back memories. Painful, painful memories. I broke my tibial plateau and avulsed my ACL on 1-11-11 in what was otherwise a minor bicycle accident. Two knee surgeries and 10+ months of PT and my knee will never be the same. I hope you heal well and quickly.

[IMG]brokey_leg[/IMG]
ecphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Thanks guys. Its a bloody pain in the arse being laid up. I've been off the pain killers and home for a fair while now. It was one week in hospital and two weeks in rehab... then home.

Just before I got home, I got a phone call "your boat is sinking"... anyhow, its "in hospital" now... up on the slip being worked on. Let's just say its not proving to be a cheap exercise... and the whole show includes two new props. Arghh. I can't do any of the work myself either. I've been down to the yard a few times - on crutches or in the wheelchair... and was just itching to pick up some tools.

I ventured out to a local business dinner the other night. Upstairs of course. After catching my knee and giving it a sideways twist... I ended up sitting down and bumping down about 20 steps on my arse. So dignified.

I've started load bearing... using half crutches. There sure isn't much strength in that leg though. I've booked a ticket to Thailand for the middle of next month, to go to a mate's wedding... so that should be fun.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Ouch!

Good luck with your recovery, stay with it, it'll be worth it.

Here's some encouragement. YOU CAN DO IT!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote