Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Serres Rally OP
Greece Rally Raid

Oddometer: 9
Serres Rally 2013, 26-31 August

Hi to everyone,

I have been lurking on here for a while, and used to post as Serres Rally but for some reason my last post got lost, Anyway I thought it would be better to introduce myself personally. My name is Dimitris "Doc", I am the organizer of Serres Rally, which will happen again this year at end of August, from the 26th to the 31st in the North of Greece .
It’s my pleasure to join you.

So I am opening this thread to let you know about this race and to answer any questions,
on our web site you can find most of the important info, www.serresrally.com

I am very sure that this year will be our best edition, just ask the participants from 2012 ;) Recent Tuareg Rally riders Edward Taylor, Guillaume Martens and Polytimi Kyriakopoulou all raced in 2012 and had only the best to say about the tracks and the organization...

Thanks for your time,
Doc

PS - from now on, I prefer to chat with my personal name, also because I am a rider too…

Serres Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
sergeuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hi Doc,

Thinking of entering this but on a 690R, I managed to drag my 690 around the Tuareg Rally this year, but before i enter the Serres i would like to know if anyone has completed the Serres on bigger bikes please? PS thats completed the Serres Rally before not just entered and found it too technical for bigger bikes!

Thanks
sergeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Dimitris Doc
Race & Rider

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeuk View Post
Hi Doc,

Thinking of entering this but on a 690R, I managed to drag my 690 around the Tuareg Rally this year, but before i enter the Serres i would like to know if anyone has completed the Serres on bigger bikes please? PS thats completed the Serres Rally before not just entered and found it too technical for bigger bikes!

Thanks
Welcome sergeuk,

The 690 is a perfect bike!
Maybe not as playbike as a 250 - 450 4T, but for sure more confortble after a long day.
At 2011 a Suzuki DR Big 800 finish he race, and 2012 some 640 LC4, a Super Enduro 950, and a lot of 690 (Patsy Quick was also with 690).

So, don't worry about your bike!
Dimitris Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
I have done both 2011 and 2012 editions, it's excellent.

Serge, Martin Rabenlehner also finished the race on a 690 with full evo kit (same one he raced in the Africa race), we were neck to neck on the first two days last year. If I remember though he damaged one of his radiators in a crash one day and dropped down the ranks, despite that he looked pretty damn comfortable on it for most of the race...

I definitely recomend this one, I am finishing up the edit of my 2012 story which will be included in the second volume of Tales from the Bivouac.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,966
Will be definately joining this year. Have heard anything but comments for the race / roadbook / hotels etc... They say that the place is a Rally paradise up there.

I plan to race it on a modified 640A (lighter, without the rally fairings and with a heavily modified tower. I have used both the 640 and the Berg and I have to say that after a day I may be slower on the 640 but I am more relaxed and not so tired as the bike does not jump around as much... More often than not I tend to lay the bike on its side so having to pick up the 640A does not compare with the Berg... I guess its a trade off and one has to decide how he ''approaches'' the race...

D.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Torque Racing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
We will be offering assistance for this Event.. watch this space or contact us for more details

www.torqueracing.net

Email: torqueracing@talktalk.net
Torque Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque Racing View Post
We will be offering assistance for this Event.. watch this space or contact us for more details
Nice. Looks like I'll get to ride the LC4-50 in Greece after all this year - count me in too!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Nice. Looks like I'll get to ride the LC4-50 in Greece after all this year - count me in too!

Jx

Goody goody goody ,,,
Looking forward to see your tower setup
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
sergeuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque Racing View Post
Thats me in too then,

Heres a question for the Greece riders, pre the Serres in August I hope to take the Family ( wife + 2 teenage boys) for a 10 day beach holiday in Greece can you recomend a few resorts within 3 hours drive time of Serres that you could recomend to me please?

Thanks
sergeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Thats me in too then,

Heres a question for the Greece riders, pre the Serres in August I hope to take the Family ( wife + 2 teenage boys) for a 10 day beach holiday in Greece can you recomend a few resorts within 3 hours drive time of Serres that you could recomend to me please?

Thanks
Serge,

less than 3 hours from Serres, I think about 120 - 150kms to the south lies the coastal area of Halkidiki (the three pronged peninsula just south of Thesaloniki) which is absolutely stunning, have a look over on booking.com and check maps / availability

I would suggest bringing a bigger touring bike as well the routes there are out of this world, though the family might not agree

Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Dimitris Doc
Race & Rider

Quote:
Thats me in too then,

Thanks
Chalkidiki is less than 2 hours from Serres.
Alternative you can book to Kavala, Asprovalta, and other resorts in the beach of North Greece, just one hour from Serres.
Keep in your mind that at race days, there will be daily trips to the sea for competitors' family members!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Will be definately joining this year. Have heard anything but comments for the race / roadbook / hotels etc... They say that the place is a Rally paradise up there.

I plan to race it on a modified 640A (lighter, without the rally fairings and with a heavily modified tower. I have used both the 640 and the Berg and I have to say that after a day I may be slower on the 640 but I am more relaxed and not so tired as the bike does not jump around as much... More often than not I tend to lay the bike on its side so having to pick up the 640A does not compare with the Berg... I guess its a trade off and one has to decide how he ''approaches'' the race...

D.

It's a plan. Although I'd still go for the lighter 450 Berg. Even if it tires you out more at the end of the day, 15 minutes in the pool fixes that real quickly, and you will feel a thousand times faster. I don't remember one Liaison where I wished I had a more comfortable bike than my ancient 520, it was like Special after Special, the connecting parts where too small to even catch your breath. Saying that, I wished I had an extra ten minutes to spare before entering a Special, the times were tight, really kept me on my toes.

The tracks I remember from last year weren't rocky at all, save for one. There was this one amazing Special on the 4th day which was a sandy mountain course of 90kms. Yup, sand and fine powder-like dirt like on a mountain. I haven't seen anything like it before anywhere else, I don't think I touched the front brake once in the whole Special. Pure bliss.

I can't wait to go back

Old 04-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
Dimitris Doc
Race & Rider

The site will be down for one day!

Sorry for this...
Old 05-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #14
TheCadman
Old school

Oddometer: 14
These Greek events are addictive....

Now that memories of the Hellas Rally are fading, I'm starting to plan the next event. Having originally ignored the Serres - racing in Greece in the summer! - I'm now reconsidering and have a couple of questions for anyone who has taken part in this rally before:

How technical is the riding? While the scenery at the Hellas was stunning, the tracks were generally fairly easy to ride. As I prefer the challenge of enduro- like terrain, will the Serres be any different?

How demanding is the navigation?

Thanks
TheCadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #15
Dimitris Doc
Race & Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCadman View Post
Now that memories of the Hellas Rally are fading, I'm starting to plan the next event. Having originally ignored the Serres - racing in Greece in the summer! - I'm now reconsidering and have a couple of questions for anyone who has taken part in this rally before:

How technical is the riding? While the scenery at the Hellas was stunning, the tracks were generally fairly easy to ride. As I prefer the challenge of enduro- like terrain, will the Serres be any different?

How demanding is the navigation?

Thanks
Hello,

For sure the asphalt roads will be less than 10-15% of the total routes, and the liaisons will be small

The special stages tracks are not just Tarmac and gravel roads but there are a lot of enduro, off road and some paths from ISDE 2008 routes.

We have separate routes for bikes and 4X4/quads some days.