User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Jking OP
It's just a bike

Oddometer: 234
New bike info

Im looking at getting a 2009 gas gas 280. There are two im looking at, one of them is a txt 280 pro, and one is the 280 eco. Can anyone please tell me the difference between them? Im a beginner trials rider.

Thanks

Remembering the past gives us reason for the future...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165725
Jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jking View Post
Im looking at getting a 2009 gas gas 280. There are two im looking at, one of them is a txt 280 pro, and one is the 280 eco. Can anyone please tell me the difference between them? Im a beginner trials rider.

Thanks
Mainly if both are EXACT same condition, Eco (economy) model is cheaper.

The Economy, and it varied year to year, was a cheaper "entry level" type bike built with "this year's engine" leftover frames, and older type rims, that were not used up in production and didn't go to just being "parts" for order...

Usually (just trying to remember/guess I could be way wrong on this amount?) saved a person $1500 or so on what a regular pro cost that year. each year you know they tool up for production, there is going to be parts that didnt get built into a bike. So they built a few each year with new "engines" only, everything else like exhaust, shocks, rims, tires, were leftover production items, from any of the past few years.

Good enough bikes... Especially if you (and even I dont) need all the Raga or "Racing" models upgraded options to ride...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Jking OP
It's just a bike

Oddometer: 234
thank you for that.

Remembering the past gives us reason for the future...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165725
Jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 620
The Eco came with a tube-type rear tire. Didn't bother me, but when the expert kids began to comment that they could feel the difference I was persuaded to buy a new rear wheel for Christmas -- about $600 with a disc and sprocket.
My eco is four years of hard use and going strong.
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
PTRadam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Didn't the Eco model have a cheaper grade of Suspension also? Maybe Steel fork legs instead of Aluminum? The Eco seems to be a good bike from what I have seen. There are a few around locally. If you're not an Advanced rider I'd think the Eco would be fine and you won't really know the difference.
PTRadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRadam View Post
Didn't the Eco model have a cheaper grade of Suspension also? Maybe Steel fork legs instead of Aluminum? The Eco seems to be a good bike from what I have seen. There are a few around locally. If you're not an Advanced rider I'd think the Eco would be fine and you won't really know the difference.
Echo, was "Leftover" parts, I don't own one, could have steel forks. I wouldn't call it "cheaper" by any means that means crappier, and I am not saying you are... But is cheaper, just like that last year's design on just about anything, is usually cheaper (less demand?) this year.

FWIW, the 08 Raga prototype (it is the most expensive model at least in USA? And at least on the batch mine came to the USA in) the 300 Pro came with steel forks, out of the shipping crate. again as an ECO, it saved you some $, the forks were good enough even for me, and Raga himself (LOL).

I think some parts could be random each year, so I cant say I know what every little thing is, but the parts were good enough at one time to be sold on bikes in production, not long ago at least...

*** I never had the reason to ask, but dont you just buy the "tubless rubber rim band," buy a tubless tire for that rim? I know back in around 05, the Rim band was like $45, at least came with the valvestem. IMHO, to reduce stock of tube type tires, they probably saved a crapload $ on those tires they put on those bikes. What is a Michelin x-lite REAR cost this year? I didn't save up for one for this year, so I haven't even checked. I know Importer, is selling chinese X-Lites clones, for something like $75 picked up... seems the Michelins are probably $150 or so now?

Sting32 screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 11:21 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 742
Last I talked to LewisSports, they still had new Eco in stock for $5,500. Great deal for a new bike. I would think the 2009 used price would reflect the lower retail than a Pro.

Be sure it has a OHV sticker if you want to ride on public lands.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote