ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Flyinace1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Flyinace1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 381
The other motorcyclists on the road

Everyone knows that cagers can be rude, do weird things or just not pay attention but what about motorcyclists? I figure we can be just as bad...every once in a while . I've had a couple odd things happen when another rider comes along on the road and I'd like to hear other peoples stories; the funny, the strange, the bad, the scary or whatever else you might have.
Here's my first story, it happened this morning:

I was riding on a two lane road during rush hour, so lots of cars. Most of them were going the opposite direction than me but there were still plenty on my side. I was riding behind some cars all moving at about the speed limit (which usually doesn't happen when this section gets busy) and there was an FJR behind me.
He was following at a good distance and we were staggered, I to the left of the lane and him to the right. As we come up to a three way intersection with stop signs each way I put on my blinker to turn right, made sure there was space and scooted on over cautiously.
As I come to a stop I notice him scoot to the left of the lane and pull up beside me so I figure he's going straight. Well as soon as it is our turn he pulls out in front of me and turns right my response "What the heck?!?" He couldn't go any faster and there's no where to pass anyone else, and I was behind him til he turned off the road.

By the way, does anyone know why someone would make a move like this?
__________________
Anti-Murphy's Law:
Whatever can go right will go right

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
mtnbkrmatt
Adventurer
 
mtnbkrmatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Gunnison, CO
Oddometer: 49
Just a guess, maybe he did it to make sure you saw how awesome he is.


Sent from somewhere in the Rockies
mtnbkrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable
 
rapidoxidationman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: The Teton Rockies
Oddometer: 8,352
You're sure it wasn't a GSA?

__________________
Quote:
Patrick:
I know I'm feeling badly when I have no interest in speeding
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
You're sure it wasn't a GSA?






















__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Flyinace1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Flyinace1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
You're sure it wasn't a GSA?

Unless the tuning forks are BMW know, yep I'm sure
__________________
Anti-Murphy's Law:
Whatever can go right will go right

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
You're sure it wasn't a GSA?

__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer
 
davidbeinct's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Waterford, CT
Oddometer: 539
I have two, both involve cruisers, both me getting passed on the right side of my lane.

First, I'm on Rt. 9 in CT, nice day, no traffic. I'm in the left half of the right lane (two lane divided highway). I'm on a Super Sherpa, which is pegged (a Sherpa is pretty much always pegged on the highway). This chopped cruiser comes flying up behind me and passes me on the right, in my lane. Plenty of room (like, ALL of it) for him to move over into the, you know, PASSING LANE!

Second, also on the Sherpa. I'm in a group ride of a former internet forum called beginner bikers. In the left half of the right lane in a pretty good staggered formation of about half a dozen bikes. Anything from a little Super Sherpa to a Maxi Scooter to a Honda Valkyrie. The Valkyrie passes me on the right, in my lane. Later he said he knew I was holding my line so it was okay. After a few other bullshit experiences with riding with folks I'd "met" online, I've pretty much decided to only ride with people I actually know.

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Flyinace1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Flyinace1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I have two, both involve cruisers, both me getting passed on the right side of my lane.

First, I'm on Rt. 9 in CT, nice day, no traffic. I'm in the left half of the right lane (two lane divided highway). I'm on a Super Sherpa, which is pegged (a Sherpa is pretty much always pegged on the highway). This chopped cruiser comes flying up behind me and passes me on the right, in my lane. Plenty of room (like, ALL of it) for him to move over into the, you know, PASSING LANE!

Second, also on the Sherpa. I'm in a group ride of a former internet forum called beginner bikers. In the left half of the right lane in a pretty good staggered formation of about half a dozen bikes. Anything from a little Super Sherpa to a Maxi Scooter to a Honda Valkyrie. The Valkyrie passes me on the right, in my lane. Later he said he knew I was holding my line so it was okay. After a few other bullshit experiences with riding with folks I'd "met" online, I've pretty much decided to only ride with people I actually know.

David B.
Something like that has happened to me twice except they weren't passing.
Once was on the freeway riding my magna a guy on a harley comes up behind me and pulls into a staggered position but then slowly starts getting closer and closer til he's beside me and I figured that he'd pass me but instead he just stays there so I slow down and move to another lane.
The other time was on the streets & I was riding my FZ6 and a harley decides he wants to ride next to me I filtered up through the cars where he couldn't follow

Maybe I should just ride the center of my lane more often when a motorcycle is behind me
__________________
Anti-Murphy's Law:
Whatever can go right will go right

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #9
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 739
A few things immediately come to mind, because of their repetition.

Loud pipes on other bikes. Have a niche carved out in traffic, everyone getting along just fine. Here comes the rider with the loud pipes blasting through traffic, torquing everyone off. All the cagers are now thinking "blasted bikers", and I get to enjoy their wrath. I'll get crowded and sometimes cut off as a result. Interestingly, I can often times diffuse it by face palming my helmet and shaking my head.

Squids on sport bikes. To the point that there are areas I just don't ride. Don't like having dingalings blow past me at 140 mph doing a wheelie. Even if they're wearing a $1000 full faced Arai helmet perched on the top of their head, with a plastic rooster comb glued on. Nope. And the cops. Since they can't catch the squids, I'm a nice and convenient target. More than once I've been accused of racing and such just because I was on a bike in the area.

Group rides. Dear lord, trying to figure out how to get around them and not be integrated into their mob. The bigger the group, the worse the problem. 100 bikes strung out for half a mile, oh what fun. Especially if you want to do something like make a turn, which will invariably be where they are.

Friendly riders. I'll wave at you going by. But please, if we're going the same way, I don't want to formation ride with you. This may get much worse now that I own a Harley. They like to ride side by side in the same lane. I *hate* that. Bad enough having someone off my quarter, but beside me? I'm turning off now, bye bye.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer
 
BanjoBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
Everyone knows that cagers can be rude, do weird things or just not pay attention but what about motorcyclists? I figure we can be just as bad...every once in a while . I've had a couple odd things happen when another rider comes along on the road and I'd like to hear other peoples stories; the funny, the strange, the bad, the scary or whatever else you might have.
Here's my first story, it happened this morning:

I was riding on a two lane road during rush hour, so lots of cars. Most of them were going the opposite direction than me but there were still plenty on my side. I was riding behind some cars all moving at about the speed limit (which usually doesn't happen when this section gets busy) and there was an FJR behind me.
He was following at a good distance and we were staggered, I to the left of the lane and him to the right. As we come up to a three way intersection with stop signs each way I put on my blinker to turn right, made sure there was space and scooted on over cautiously.
As I come to a stop I notice him scoot to the left of the lane and pull up beside me so I figure he's going straight. Well as soon as it is our turn he pulls out in front of me and turns right my response "What the heck?!?" He couldn't go any faster and there's no where to pass anyone else, and I was behind him til he turned off the road.

By the way, does anyone know why someone would make a move like this?
Cuz FJR riders are ASSHOLES?

Just be glad you ain't ride'in in Taipei; Outta mah way beeeoootch!

__________________
2007 FJR1300
2007 FZ6 (Dirt bike)

BanjoBoy screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 07:27 AM
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DarthJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Hell Paso
Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Cuz FJR riders are ASSHOLES?

Just be glad you ain't ride'in in Taipei; Outta mah way beeeoootch!

Holy shit, that's a nasty spill. Asshat on the left clipped her, Dickhead on the right, meh, I'm just going to keep going.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer
 
BanjoBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJ View Post
Holy shit, that's a nasty spill. Asshat on the left clipped her, Dickhead on the right, meh, I'm just going to keep going.
Ya can't see it in this short vid, but it wuz actually her own fault. She wuz over to the right, go'in slow, and holding up a whole gaggle of riders, when the guy with the oxygen tank(?) started ta pass, she eased left, 'n clip'd the tank. Iz a nasty get off.
__________________
2007 FJR1300
2007 FZ6 (Dirt bike)
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
Huzband
Team Dirt
 
Huzband's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Cowford, Fl.
Oddometer: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Ya can't see it in this short vid, but it wuz actually her own fault. She wuz over to the right, go'in slow, and holding up a whole gaggle of riders, when the guy with the oxygen tank(?) started ta pass, she eased left, 'n clip'd the tank. Iz a nasty get off.
WRONG!

Watch the vid closely & try to pay attention. The rider on the left crowds his way past. Whatever is overextended on his rear rack catches the left bar of the girl on the scooter & takes her down. His fault, not hers. The guy that looks down at her & rides off is a total dick. I'd like to meet him.
__________________
'07 R12GSA (Moose)
'04 Sherco 2.9 (Sherpa)
'97 KTM 400 R/XCe (needs a home)
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer
 
BanjoBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
WRONG!

Watch the vid closely & try to pay attention. The rider on the left crowds his way past. Whatever is overextended on his rear rack catches the left bar of the girl on the scooter & takes her down. His fault, not hers. The guy that looks down at her & rides off is a total dick. I'd like to meet the girl's hold'in up a bunch of scooters, moves right, then when the him.
Here ya go internet tough guy, watch closely.

__________________
2007 FJR1300
2007 FZ6 (Dirt bike)
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #15
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Hampton Roads, VA
Oddometer: 140
As others have mentioned, a two-wheeled vehicle with a sub 50cc engine doesn't need a license here in Virginia. We get a good number where I live as we used (still do?) have a dealer of ultra-cheap Chinese scooters. So you get a smattering of riders putzing around on balding, flat tires and four stroke engines doing their best impersination of a two stroke, all with exhaust whines louder than a bare pipe on a 'busa.

For the most part, though, they don't really have or cause much in the way of accidents even if I have to wonder how they manage to not hurt themselves with the way they ride. Probably due to the urban environment but still not enough scooters relative to cars so that scooters remain an oddity. They stand out better to cars than a motorcyclist in hi-viz. And, hell, some just take the sidewalk on their scooter anyway.

But, outside of that, most motorcyclists I've come across haven't done too much in the way of annoying things. The only instance I can remember happened one day heading home after a rec ride. Two guys on supersports came hauling ass down the interstate in rush hour traffic. Probably approaching 100 MPH given the speed of traffic flow. They then proceeded to suddenly slow to near the speed of traffic and dart around at random before eventually turning off.

Ironically, they both had brake light flashers, but one was broken (or he was riding the brake) so it flashed constantly. You couldn't tell if he was braking or not.

Oh, and someone in this thread reminded me...why DO some Harley riders (and/or cruisers, but I've only observed this in Harley riders thus far) blip their throttle while moving around the parking lot or at low speed? Inability to feather the clutch? Engine so low tuned and with straight pipes so it can't maintain idle? Just to hear themselves bark? Never could figure it out, and that's excluding blipping at a stoplight or something.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014