User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
C-Stain OP
Banned

Oddometer: 5,001
Biffed off the Beemer...

First DS rise of the season yesterday and I was out with Inmates.Fred Green and LilGreenBooger. I caught the wrong end of a deep rut and rode the low side to the end.

I knew instantly I had fractured my left Tibia and Fibula. Thank gawd I was with Fred and Nate. -calm, cool and collected with the right amount of humor thrown in.

I'll post more deets when I get hold of my camera and GoPro.

C-Stain screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 04:43 PM
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Uh. Good of you to post the x-rays.

Look, dude, feel better. No rush on the deets.
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
Hey fracture buddy. I broke the same 2 bones yesterday. Get well soon.

If I can get a look at them I'll post my X-rays also.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,114
Get well quickly.
Free healthcare!

Let me guess, big heavy bike in the dirt?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
roadchick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Oh noooo!!! That's not good. And right at the beginning of riding season. Here's to a uncomplicated swift recovery. Didn't know you had a Beemer. I'm looking at the new 1200 gs.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,175
Did pannier fall on leg as it extended backward? Hope you recover fully and quickly. Saludos, Jim
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
C-Stain OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Get well quickly.
Free healthcare!

Let me guess, big heavy bike in the dirt?
Only an F800 - not that heavy. And yes, in the dirt!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,114
Over 400 pounds, that is about 100 pounds too heavy...at least for older guys....

No need to ask me how I know this...

Glad you had such good friends along.
Some guys would just use you for traction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Only an F800 - not that heavy. And yes, in the dirt!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
Holy crap your tough. I hope your recovery is swift and true.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Glad to see you're gonna be alright... scary stuff..

I see you had a gopro with you? Was it recording?

Hope you have a fast recovery.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Balls! That sucks, sorry to learn of the bad luck. Here's to a quick and full recovery! BTW you should ride with Kelsow he hangs back just to make sure he gets good shots of you going over. What was worse the crash or the recovery and razing you no doubt were subject to?

Looks like you were wearing hiking boots, would MX style boots made any diff? Curious as I am trying to get used to riding in Tech 3s and move away from my military style boots.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Balls! That sucks, sorry to learn of the bad luck. Here's to a quick and full recovery! BTW you should ride with Kelsow he hangs back just to make sure he gets good shots of you going over. What was worse the crash or the recovery and razing you no doubt were subject to?

Looks like you were wearing hiking boots, would MX style boots made any diff? Curious as I am trying to get used to riding in Tech 3s and move away from my military style boots.
He was wearing MX boots, full calf. The boot acted like a splint, most likely doing him a lot of good post injury. I shudder to think of how bad it would have been if he'd been wearing work boots...like I was. MX boots on order for me now.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
C-Stain OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Did pannier fall on leg as it extended backward? Hope you recover fully and quickly. Saludos, Jim
No panniers. Extended it on the fall.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Good to see that you're well enough to start this thread Craig.

Myself, Fredgreen, and C-Stain were out for a ride. I was on point, on a nimble fast KLR, C-Stain on his GS, and sweeping the rear was Fred on his new Ural Gear-up. I was riding like an asshole,scrambling really fast, and I blame myself partially for the accident; if I wasn't riding so fast, C-stain might not have been riding so fast. Mrs.Stain has told me that it's not my fault, but I still feel bad.

So I was riding fast, jumping little bumps, rocks, and kicking the rear out on the corners. I've been riding off-road for 25 years...and I'm 30. I'm in my element. I just got a new (to me) modified KLR, and I'm diggin it. Every 5 minutes or so, C-Stain and I would pull over, and wait for Fred. We'd have a smoke, or shoot the shit or whatever, but this was our MO. I was surprised that C-stain was staying right on my 6 in a set of ruts/whoops, and as I rounded a corner, and wheelied up a hill, I realized he wasn't behind me anymore. slow down....stop....kill motor. Silence. Take a piss...silence.

I 180 and find him right about where I saw him last in the mirror. I shut off, dismount, and remove my helmet, thinking he needs help to right his bike, and shake it off. he tells me his leg is broken, and not to touch him because he's comfortable. what he really wants is a smoke. I get his smokes, but his lighter is in a pocket under him. in true KLR fashion, I rev up my bike and light his cig off the header pipe. He called me MacGruber.

I get Fred and we do a 911 call. Give GPS coordinates. FD will be first on scene. I ride out 8km and meet them, lead them right to him. about an hour later a crown vic and a pretty lady cop get there. Then another hour later the ambulance gets there, and craig gets his drugs...but it doesn't seem like enough - scroll up for x-rays. after some crafty maneuvering with a backboard and the stretcher, they get him loaded in the ambulance...to cut his boot off.

I rode the GS out to a waiting trailer to take the bike home for him. Fred took me back to my bike in the Ural, and sorry to say, it was the highlight of the day for me.

Some Pics:

The day started out great.

This is the type of trail we were on:

My Bike, and C-Stain & GS in background:

Fredgreen:

C-Stain had a minor get-off and had to summon Russian Tech Support to fix a bent shifter...of course I had to summon Russian Tech Support earlier that day for the KLR, so I don't hold it against him too much, lol:

So I decided I would be a good friend, and not take his pic while he was lying there, before help came. after help came, it was fair game!

The nice firefighters gave him some blankets, to cover his ugly ass up. he could still smoke though:

The Paramedics arrive, and after teasing the shit out of him...because he's a paramedic, and he works with them...they juice him up with some feel-good:

We ended up with quite a bit of traffic on this old 'road'

Here the medic is demonstrating how he's going to strangle him if he doesn't stop telling them what to do:

After a painful re-arranging, they get c-stain in the ambulance:

This is how he spent 4 hours, of what I can only imagine would be seven hell's worth of pain:

Fred and I asked C-stain if he was alright...looks good!

Get well soon buddy.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 475
[QUOTE=LilGreenBooger;21257610]Good to see that you're well enough to start this thread Craig.

Myself, Fredgreen, and C-Stain were out for a ride. I was on point, on a nimble fast KLR, C-Stain on his GS, and sweeping the rear was Fred on his new Ural Gear-up. I was riding like an asshole,scrambling really fast, and I blame myself partially for the accident; if I wasn't riding so fast, C-stain might not have been riding so fast. Mrs.Stain has told me that it's not my fault, but I still feel bad.

So I was riding fast, jumping little bumps, rocks, and kicking the rear out on the corners. I've been riding off-road for 25 years...and I'm 30. I'm in my element. I just got a new (to me) modified KLR, and I'm diggin it. Every 5 minutes or so, C-Stain and I would pull over, and wait for Fred. We'd have a smoke, or shoot the shit or whatever, but this was our MO. I was surprised that C-stain was staying right on my 6 in a set of ruts/whoops, and as I rounded a corner, and wheelied up a hill, I realized he wasn't behind me anymore. slow down....stop....kill motor. Silence. Take a piss...silence.

I 180 and find him right about where I saw him last in the mirror. I shut off, dismount, and remove my helmet, thinking he needs help to right his bike, and shake it off. he tells me his leg is broken, and not to touch him because he's comfortable. what he really wants is a smoke. I get his smokes, but his lighter is in a pocket under him. in true KLR fashion, I rev up my bike and light his cig off the header pipe. He called me MacGruber.

I get Fred and we do a 911 call. Give GPS coordinates. FD will be first on scene. I ride out 8km and meet them, lead them right to him. about an hour later a crown vic and a pretty lady cop get there. Then another hour later the ambulance gets there, and craig gets his drugs...but it doesn't seem like enough - scroll up for x-rays. after some crafty maneuvering with a backboard and the stretcher, they get him loaded in the ambulance...to cut his boot off.

I rode the GS out to a waiting trailer to take the bike home for him. Fred took me back to my bike in the Ural, and sorry to say, it was the highlight of the day for me.

Some Pics:

The day started out great.

This is the type of trail we were on:

My Bike, and C-Stain & GS in background:

Fredgreen:

C-Stain had a minor get-off and had to summon Russian Tech Support to fix a bent shifter...of course I had to summon Russian Tech Support earlier that day for the KLR, so I don't hold it against him too much, lol:

So I decided I would be a good friend, and not take his pic while he was lying there, before help came. after help came, it was fair game!

The nice firefighters gave him some blankets, to cover his ugly ass up. he could still smoke though:

The Paramedics arrive, and after teasing the shit out of him...because he's a paramedic, and he works with them...they juice him up with some feel-good.

That's a pretty good yarn Nate, buts here's the truth about what really happendid: 11 am meet up at Timmy's, Nate calls to say he can't get a spark plug out of a KLR without adult supervision, Craig and I decide that although we aren't really adults, we should ride across the width of Nova Scotia and show him how to get the plug out of a 1 cylinder bike. With that accomplished we bugger off down the road into the woods. While demonstrated the Ural's ability to go fast and wheelie down the road (actual photographic evidence):

Craig decides to emulate this wheelie with one of his own. About this time Nate goes by on the Supersonic KLR waving a pack of smokes and Craig goes off in chase like a dog after a kong ball. Nate then threw the smokes on the road, Craig looks down, breaking his concentration and the rest is like Nate said. This is my story and I'm sticking to it!
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote