Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Lucky508 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Super n00bs little adventure...

Greeting inmates,
It took a long time, but I’m here. Long story short….Motorcycles were always taboo in my family of Doctors and medical professionals. It was always look but don’t touch! So being the blacksheep that I am I did the next best thing and joined the Army to be a paratrooper. This lead to learning to fly and skydive. While I still jump some it’s not the adventure it once was. I mountain bike and road ride a lot and a good buddy of mine started telling me about “dualsporting” and the seed took root in my brain. I saw some of the truly incredible adventures you guys go on and I wanted in! So after some thoughtful conversations with my lovely wife trying to convince her I wouldn’t be a complete knucklehead about this I am about to take my Texas Motorcycle Safety Course to get M put on my license. Whoop! Whoop! Since I was a kid I’ve owned a lot of different 4WDs but have never, yup, never driven a motorcycle. Well I’m only getting older at this point and I have insurance to it’s time to saddle up. Wish me luck please.
A buddy of mine in the army had a saying, “No matter where you’ve been you’re here now.” So with that in mind and knowing that without good training I’d already be dead I’ll try to learn to be a good rider. I’ll post a few pics and observations from my course this weekend so you guys can laugh at me.
After the course is done I’m heading North from Austin to Manhattan (not that one!) Kansas to pick up my brand new……………….wait for it……………………………87 Honda XL 250R! Well, new to me anyway. My buddy found it for me up there. So I’ll pack up my 89 FJ62 land cruiser, put the new motorcycle carrier on the back and head out on May the fourth. This has got the be good omen right? May the fourth be with you! After a stop to visit another buddy from my jump team in Okiehoma and wrench a little on the Cruiser, I’ll arrive in Manhattan and proceed to spend a couple of days riding all over the area. Then drive home with my new adventure machine ready to start having fun around here. I had considered flying up and driving home on the bike but got talked out of it. Most likely for the best.

Not exactly an epic adventure by ADV standards but hopefully a good start. I don’t know about you but I’m pumped!

Lucky508
Lucky508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Lucky508 OP
Adventurer

So enough about my n00bnes for now. Time for a few pics and the tale of finding a bike on CL. After selling a few vintage parachutes I had enough $$ to look for a less vintage bike. I mean how many vintage parachutes does a guy really need anyway? The search was focused in the Kansas area where my buddy could check out the bike and see if it was as advertised and not a POS. Even in the sub $2K range there are a lot of good starter bikes out there so we should be able to find something pretty quick right? Riiiiigggghhhhtttt. After finding several bikes that we liked including another XL 250, three DT175’s and a few other bikes that always ended up being sold before we could get to them or turning out to be not such a good deal I was beginning to wonder when and if this was going to work out. The best time was when my bud was driving two hours to check out a DT175 and the seller texted him that somebody “just dropped buy and bought the bike” Uh.. that’s not cool dude but what are we supposed to do? Not to be outdone we found another bike in Nebraska that looked like a good candidate. The seller had a lot of good info about it agreed to hold the bike until my bud could go and look at it the next day. By the end of the next day I had a new bike! Thanks to my buddy "Bugsy" for making this happen.

CL photo of the XL 250R

Seller wishing me good luck with the bike. Thanks man!

Lucky508

Lucky508 screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 07:24 AM
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
The adventure begins. Great idea to do the MSC and get the basics under controlled conditions. But then a jumper already knows that fact. Nice to have your buddy do the legwork on the buy, it looks great and will provide many smiles in the future. Welcome to the asylum.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 259
Welcome to the fun. Like you, I am fairly new to dual sporting, but have been on road bikes all my life it seems. Then I watched Long Way Round and knew I wanted to ride off the beaten path. And in so doing found a love of riding I thought I'd lost as a youth. It's awesome, and seeing the world this way is even more so. Enjoy!
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Lucky508 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherNate View Post
Welcome to the fun. Like you, I am fairly new to dual sporting, but have been on road bikes all my life it seems. Then I watched Long Way Round and knew I wanted to ride off the beaten path. And in so doing found a love of riding I thought I'd lost as a youth. It's awesome, and seeing the world this way is even more so. Enjoy!

TheOtherNate, Thanks for the welcome! "I wanted to ride off the beaten path. And in so doing found a love of riding I thought I'd lost as a youth." That is awesome! I'll have to check out "Long Way Round".

Lucky508
Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Bugsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Good luck in the course this weekend! I'm looking forward to getting updates on how it shakes out. Man....I've gotten used to seeing you with parachutes on over the years but I may not recognize you in a motorcycle helmet!! Glad to see that you're finally doing this....it's gonna be FUN, Bro!!
Bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Lucky508 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
The adventure begins. Great idea to do the MSC and get the basics under controlled conditions. But then a jumper already knows that fact. Nice to have your buddy do the legwork on the buy, it looks great and will provide many smiles in the future. Welcome to the asylum.
Rutabaga, Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it. Hopefully I can keep my "what the hell was I thinking when I did that?" moments to a minimum. Hahaha!

Lucky508
Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
sc00tertrash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky508 View Post
Motorcycles were always taboo in my family
joined the Army to be a paratrooper.
I chuckled when I read that. I would ride my motorcycle to the ends of the earth, but I don't think I could muster up the courage to jump out of an airplane.

Thanks for your service to our country!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Lucky508 OP
Adventurer

Inmates,
I came home from my road trip yesterday. Here is the conclusion to my little adventure. I loaded up the Land Cruiser and headed North from Austin on Saturday the fourth. Drove up HWY 281 through my old home town of Hamilton and check out some of my old haunts. While the CCC swimming pool still looks good the town streets are in terrible shape. This was also the case going through a lot of small towns in Oklahoma as well. I spent the night in Lawton OK with a friend and we changed the tranny fluid and filter in the cruiser and made grunting sounds. Sunday it was on to Manhattan and the Flint Hills of Kansas. I arrived at Bugsy’s house and jumped on my “new” bike for the first time.

Soon after we headed down the “Aggieville” down by K State to drink some IPA’s and eat some great burgers at “Kites”. Manhattan is a really nice little town. The next morning Bugsy fabed up a kickstand mount for his DT400 while I got the know the XL riding around the neighborhood.

Then we headed out to ride!

We rode around the Pillsbury Crossing area. It was a mix of mostly dirt roads with paved connecting roads.

I didn’t take a lot of pics as I was pretty busy just riding the bike!

Bugsy and the DT. Yes, I was huffing some two stroke during the ride.

Later in the afternoon we were on a dirt road and came to a corner that lead down to a bridge that was being worked on. A lot of construction vehicles had been using the road and it was pretty deep in gravel and dirt. Bugsy was 100 yards or so ahead of me. I slowed down and was entering the corner and BAM! Yup. I hit the dirt like a deer on opening day. Somehow my front tire washed out and I went down on my left. It happened so quick I found myself sliding for 15 feet or so and all I could think was WTF happened?! That was the quickest crash I’ve ever been in. I got up, shook myself off a little and turned the bike off. About the time I was picking up the bike Bugsy came roaring up. He checked me and the bike out and after some discussion about my shoulder we decided it was time to call it a day. I found out pretty quick on the way back that my handlebars were crooked but I was able to ride no problem. Have to admit there was a little pucker factor on the ride home.

Time for an ice pack and a Rum drink!

Cheers,
Lucky508
Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
Bugsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Man....that was a lot of fun!! Just wish we could have had another day to ride!! You've come a long way from never even being on a bike to doing some on and off the beaten path riding! That sucked about your shoulder but like I said, it happens sometimes and it's better to do that on the dirt than the street!! I saw your skills improve a lot in that day and you're off to a good start! I'm looking forward to our next adventure!
Bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
VanXR
nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/

Oddometer: 365
Dual Sport

Good for you and like other inmates have said, Thank you for your service.
I've been riding dirt bikes for 40 years and still "practice" some of the MSF stuff.
Keep riding and watch out for the crazy cage drivers. Pretty soon we'll see a post from you with the Mrs out in some crazy country on an epic adventure.
Every ride is an adventure.
1978 TT500 (Original owner); 07 Yamaha WR450 street legal;03 XR 250 street legal (Mrs. XR)
VanXR is offline   Reply With Quote