ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Travex OP
Lost is found

Oddometer: 135
ZUMO 350 Freezing

Having owned many Garmin products over the years for everything from boating to flying I have to say that the ZUMO 350LM is the biggest piece of excessively overpriced junk in their stable.

In addition to useless "apps" and a memory wasting, unintuitive interface... It now freezes every few miles necessitating pulling over to do a reset just to gain a few more miles of insight. Use of this unit never quite felt right or as fluid as every other model I've used. Navigation of it's interface is counter intuitive, clumsy, and aggravating.

Garmin received an email service request from me earlier so we'll have to see how they handle it. In the past any service I've required has been handled properly, but conspicuously missing was any mention of error or fault on the mfg/design side. This is also reflected in their FAQ's as a cross word cannot be found on their site. Positives only. Thus no help whatsoever.

Updates to follow.

How I wish I never sold my 450.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
aussie_king_mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Thumb Garmin Express

I don’t know whether you have the Garmin Express program already, if not, I recommend that you download it and use it to update your Zumo (ie with both the latest firmware & software)…please let us know how you get on?
Please refer Garmin Express website link below:
http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
aussie_king_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
This is the first time I have heard of a 350 freezing. What does it look like when it happens? As a fellow 350 owner, I am curious. I have not experienced this problem yet but have had only a couple thousand miles on the unit.

Have you already run the updates from the MyDashboard page at Garmin? There could be both map and GPS unit software updates. Here: https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/dashb...?in=true&ni=ff

ETA: There is at least one thread here of people complaining about Garmin Express. I would use mapupdater instead.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Travex OP
Lost is found

Thanks Mick & Emoto-- Yes, the unit's firmware and maps are kept up to date via Garmin web updater and map update. I have about 12k on mine and other than the clumsy interface I've not had any issues until lately with the freezing.

I was unaware of Garmin Express so tried that and it showed everything is up to date. I will use this utility from now on as it does everything rather that using separate utils... Thanks again for that.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
littlefield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Garmin Express seems to work okay for me. The only thing it doesn't do is update the map set on the PC. Have to use the updater utility for that.
littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Travex OP
Lost is found

Still hadn't heard from Garmin so they received my call today. After an hour of trying diagnostics and suggestions they threw in the towel and are sending out a replacement. As usual, they were very courteous and thorough. I still don't care for this model, but I'll gladly take the replacement and get on with the season.

FYi, it froze twice in 250mi yesterday and 4 times today in 80mi. Go figure.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:55 AM   #7
Flying GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Same problem with 350ML in the UK. Freezes daily. Reset + updated to no avail, contacted support, told them what happened and what I did, and they told me to... Reset + update :-)
Next step according to them is exchange, but I think from what I see here that it's not the answer!
Flying GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #8
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying GS View Post
Same problem with 350ML in the UK. Freezes daily. Reset + updated to no avail, contacted support, told them what happened and what I did, and they told me to... Reset + update :-)
Next step according to them is exchange, but I think from what I see here that it's not the answer!
That depends on whether they have created some kind of fix yet or not on the newest ones, right? The thing I wonder is why some freeze and others don't.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
Jantan
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hello from Finland! I got my Zumo 350LM last summer and it worked fine until this spring. During the winter I did not use it and during my first drive in april it got STUCK

I contacted Garmin Finland and they said I could have same map twice in the GPS, but I didn't have and I tried hard reset (put one finger on the right bottom corner of the screen and push start button) I did helped for awhile, but then it froze again.

Two weeks ago I took it to the Garmin Finland (my luck it is only 1km away) and they said they are going to replace it. Today I got a brand new 350LM I updated it and ran for a test drive and WHAT THE HELL! IT GOT STUCK after a 30km. I booted it on the fly and rest of the 150km test run it worked ok!

My trust in this machine is gone!
Jantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
That depends on whether they have created some kind of fix yet or not on the newest ones, right? The thing I wonder is why some freeze and others don't.
Someone (motocyclu) here http://www.sorcieremonique.com/t1278...ge-zumo-340-lm (maybe) have a cure :

translated ---> "remove (cut) with a cutter the small (rubber) separation between the contacts on the Zumo stand"

Worked for him : no more freezing since he did that.

btw, my 350 never freezes ... hope it lasts

L
Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #11
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Someone (motocyclu) here http://www.sorcieremonique.com/t1278...ge-zumo-340-lm (maybe) have a cure :

translated ---> "remove (cut) with a cutter the small (rubber) separation between the contacts on the Zumo stand"

Worked for him : no more freezing since he did that.

btw, my 350 never freezes ... hope it lasts

L

That's interesting.

Based on this it should be the case that if it freezes, it only happens on the motorcycle stand (assuming this is the stand they are talking about, my French is limited to a couple of swearing words).

On a car's dash board, connected differently, it should never freeze.

And if that is the case, Garmin should be sending new stands, not new Zumos to the people with the freezing problem.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Emoto
Sure, why not?

I would keep making Garmin replace the unit until I got one that did not freeze. I would not start modifying things to try to fix their problem. Doing so only enables Garmin to avoid creating a real solution. At least, that is my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
Kincop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Today I put the 350 together with TMC (35) in my car all mounted and powered with original Garmin stuff. Yes it frooze after aprox 25km...! Now I really trust this device to really freeze EVERY time I take it for a trip regardless bike or car..

Kincop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
Travex OP
Lost is found

I also cannot use the unit regardless of distance without at least one freeze.
3 freezes in 150mi this morning.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #15
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Guys, please keep after Garmin on this issue. Don't let them off the hook. They need to devise a fix for this somehow. A GPS that freezes is unacceptable, and I would use the word "unacceptable" when speaking with them. At this point, I am shocked that I have not experienced the freezing problem with mine. I will definitely post here if I do.