User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
creighta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
what about the little ones

we started a businesses that is a mile from our house. i have couple mopeds, but think i need something faster to get between the two places. the ride is one mile, two steep hills, country backroad leading to my 1/2 mile gravel drive.

i see lots of "what is the best maxi scoot" threads and "how big do i need" not much on the sub150 arena. going to look at something cheap and used, definitely 150cc or less (have a majesty already) that will set outside most of the time... .ideas? bonus points if my 11yr old can treat it like a dirt bike.
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
we started a businesses that is a mile from our house. i have couple mopeds, but think i need something faster to get between the two places. the ride is one mile, two steep hills, country backroad leading to my 1/2 mile gravel drive.

i see lots of "what is the best maxi scoot" threads and "how big do i need" not much on the sub150 arena. going to look at something cheap and used, definitely 150cc or less (have a majesty already) that will set outside most of the time... .ideas? bonus points if my 11yr old can treat it like a dirt bike.
Seriously? Look at second-hand shops and Craigslist to find an old, 1970s-era minibike. Gas mileage won't be a factor; and with a generic Briggs & Stratton engine in there, it'll do just fine with no warmup. And your kid can't break it unless he jumps it or deliberately runs it without oil.

Outside of that...I have no clue. A Ruckus would do you, but Hondas aren't cheap, and even though it looks tough, it's a precision motor vehicle.

A Chinese Ruckus clone would provide cheap, but would break all by itself. No need to have the kid do it.

A dirt bike would be tougher, but will cost more. Perhaps a used dirtbike? I don't know specific models. But then you lose storage space.

"Scooter" and "tough" don't generally go together.

You mention "fast" - that your mopeds aren't fast enough. How fast is "fast"? 150cc gets you about 45-50 mph, unless it's a PCX. A 250 gets you about 60. A Ruckus, is limited to 35-40 mph.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I'd be looking at the Honda CT Series (90-110cc).
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBike View Post
I'd be looking at the Honda CT Series (90-110cc).
I agee with him. Cheap at 500 to 1500 bucks . You could find a elite 125, 150 . Yamaha Riva 180, 200 for that price. Elite 80 are cheap to. Most of the Ct have a low and high range gears. Top out at 45 miles per hour. Dr atv sell parts. TIres are 20 bucks or less . If you can find a 1981 ct 110 onwards I think are 12 volt and have no points to screw with. The Ct can be treated as a off road bike . One guy used one to climb up 21 000 foot high mountain road last year. Ct honda have gone every where hard core BMW GS riders have gone. If the engine burns out you can also buy a china engine that bolts right up for 300 to 400 bucks.
Honda 50cc ruckus is good to. Total ruckus forum for more info
Old 05-02-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
351 power
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
vino 125
Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
A quick check of my local Atlanta Craigslist today had:
Kymco Super 8 (150) - $1400
Kymco People 150 - $1000
Kymco Agility 125 - $1000
Kymco People 150 - $1100

Disclaimer- I do NOT own a Kymco. However, if I was looking for a bit more usability without breaking the bank I'd jump on any of these (after comparing condition, miles, and features I needed) and be done with it.

I'd take a SYM HD200 any day of the week over the above, but they are pretty rare here for under $2k.

I wouldn't go smaller, simply because you noted you had several large hills to deal with, and a decently powered scooter can do a whole lot more than just provide a 1 mile commute.

Or you could look for a small dual sport like a Yamaha tw200 or whatever if you want something that has some off road capability. There are tons of great options, you just have to pick what your priorities are and hunt down the 2 wheeler to fit them. Have fun with your search!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote