User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
dsauer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
What are you wearing?

Ha, I knew you'd look! My hubbie and I are renting bikes (800GS's) in AK in June so have no heated gear capabilities, so what's the warmest, lightest, comfy-est layer to take? I'm not a fan of UnderArmour, it's too snug and smelly. All suggestions appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,169
merino wool.. smartwool or other name brand.. cheaper merino wool can get itchy,, or keep an eye on steepandcheap.com and get some of their Stoic merino wool.. I have had good luck with it.

mrt10x screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 01:19 PM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
+1 on the merino wool.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/merino-wool~g~1928/

Also heard good things about silk, but never tried it.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
dsauer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I HATE wool.. What would be your #2?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer View Post
Yeah, you'll just have to go to REI and try on some of the options. (Out of curiosity, is the Bent Gate climbing shop still open in Golden? You could go there.)

Don't rule out Merino until you've tried on a few brands. But if you don't like it, I'm sure you'll find a synthetic that fits better than Under Armor and will keep you warm.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
dsauer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
Yeah, you'll just have to go to REI and try on some of the options. (Out of curiosity, is the Bent Gate climbing shop still open in Golden? You could go there.)

Don't rule out Merino until you've tried on a few brands. But if you don't like it, I'm sure you'll find a synthetic that fits better than Under Armor and will keep you warm.
Yes, it is. I'll head that way today, and I'll try out some merino wool. Re: silk, I have an enormous 18"x18" bandana that has become an essential when riding, so +1 for silk. Keeps my neck warm with no breeze down the jacket even in the rain or snow. And you can put it on without taking off your helmet.

Thanks to all for the advice. Getting excited about the trip!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,169
Have you ever tried Merino? I hate wool too.. I have a couple of wool Pendleton shirts I cant wear... but good merino has zero itch factor.. cheap Merino still itches. If you dont want Merino and UA is essentially the same as most other synthetics, gets stinky, maybe Patagonia Capilene.. it doesnt stink like other synthetics after a couple of days. Silk is comfy, but a slow to dry overnight if you wash it in a sink. Take a look here... http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/underwear.html
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
jc9995
Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer View Post
Normal wool I agree.... Merino wool is like cashmere.... And FAR superior to UA.... love merino wool! Please do yourself a favor and at least try some.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,838
If you have a waterproof outer jacket
a down vest is another thing, they pack really small when compressed and fill the space quite well between a jacket and body. Trouble with down, do not get it wet. if you do it will no longer insulate.

Also talk to the rental company, many of them use battery tender style plugs (with SAE two plug leads) already connected to the battery, depending on your vest or jackets (if you have electrically heated gear) you could buy or make a patch cord and then you're golden.

Oh yea and wool, kicks ass especially if it's wet, fleece does to but wool can keep you warmer and blocks some wind
Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 842
When I rent a bike, I take a couple of tools with me and install my GPS, heated gear battery harness, etc. before I even leave the rental place....
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 211
I get great mileage out of my Patagonia Puffy coat and pants and have for many years now ....but....I think StuartV has the plan and that is to install a cord and take some heated gear.

Black Jack in Canada makes heated gear that plugs directly into a battery tender cord, I have their vest and it is a favorite of mine.

I have a bunch of excellent quality gear from other activities to choose from but something as simple as a light heated vest can eliminate a bunch of layers and provide more wamth/comfort.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
RonSJC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I saw a post somewhere about Gerbings battery heated gear. That might be an option, Charge it up at night and click it on if it gets chilly. It only lasts about 2 hours at full heat, but the post I saw said to crank it up, get nice and toasty and then turn the heat down and it should last most of the day.
RonSJC is offline   Reply With Quote