User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
sperz1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
My Sons First Dual Sport Ride

I'm not sure if I've become eternally lazy or the overwhelming workload is starting to take it's toll. I've been meaning to write this ride report for the last few days but just haven't been able too.

Everyone, I'd like to introduce you to my 9 year old son James.

Like any father that has been into motorcycle their entire lives I've always daydreamed about the day when I'd be able to share my experiences with my first son. He's been riding his own jr50 for the last 6 months or so but was just a hair off from touching the pegs on the DR. It was a requirement from me that he be able to touch before we go on rides. A few weeks ago he asked to sit on the DR, and viola, feet down. We instantly started researching jacket, helmet, boot options (Which turns out is a pain in the ass), and found some appropriate riding gear.

The day started off around 9am with Uncle Mug (mugwest) bringing the old GS to the sperz casa and meeting James and I. After a quick rundown on the days activities we set off to our destination. An awesome resource us NW Florida folks call Blackwater Forest.

The ride out was uneventful. James is such a good passenger. Rarely wiggles around and just takes in the scenery. We started out our offroad ride on a little track of land called Hutton. Hutton is a gem for it's nice easy trails and changing terrain. James had a blast!

After about an hour of cruising around we took our first break. To say that this little boy was stoked would be the understatement of the year. He was smiling ear to ear. After grabbing a quick snack and BS'ing for a bit he jumped on the back of Uncle Mug's GS and we were off to do some more exploring.

We cruised along Hutton and just kinda enjoyed the day. Ran along some old dirt roads that followed the train tracks and had all sorts of fun. It was slightly raining but that wasn't going to stop the day. On occasion we would stop and ask him if he was ok. His response "yep!". After a quick stop and a story about a log he hopped back on my bike.

The trail led it's way through some old dirt roads in Holt, FL and we worked away across with the intention of hitting up the Yellow River Management Area. The clay roads were wet and slippery and one of the trails was rooted up and under a bit of water. That didn't faze James on bit!

One thing I couldn't help but notice is that as we were leaving the clay roads the bike seemed to be walking all over the place. It almost felt like the rear tire was flat. I just chalked it up to James wiggling around a bit and trucked on. It wasn't bad, just different.

Well....

Turns out...

That's exactly what the issue was!

James hopped off the bike and Mug and I got to work on replacing the tube. I had a spare 21" tube in my pack and Mug had the compressor. Good to go. Had quite a few good Samaritans stop by and ask us if we were ok, which was cool. Even had one local fella roll up on his tractor and ask if we needed anything. We replied "Thanks, but were good". He kinda laughed and replied "You fellas got everything here don't ya!!" And in reality, we did. Being prepared on this tripped saved it from being a drag, to adding a little bit of unexpected fun.

James was handed the camera to photo document. Oh, and yes dorothy, a 21" tube does work in an 18" rim when ya need it too.

I can't help but notice I'm smiling in almost all of these pics.

ADV Salute for a job well done. ( Yea I'm a bad parent )

We set off after this field repair for the Yellow River Management Area. James rode with Uncle Mug for this leg. While the tube did work, I didn't fully trust it and thought it would be safer.

The rain had stopped by then and we made our way through some old dirt roads. The floodplain on the river was well over the trail so we had a lot of fun pushing our way through the water.

Our last stop of the day was a primitive camping site. It was close to 3pm and we'd done about 70 miles. A few pics and we'd be back on the road headed home.

Guys, this really is what this type of riding is all about for me. Sharing experiences with the ones you really care about and having a blast doing it. This was the first ride for James, but it sure wont be the last!

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se

sperz1 screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 02:04 PM
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,818
LOVE!
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
ineptizoid
they all do that

Oddometer: 5,252
Right on

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,812
GREAT story!!!
Didja show Mom the photo of you being a 'bad parent'?
I'll bet he made a lot of kids at school jealous.

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
sperz1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootac View Post
Didja show Mom the photo of you being a 'bad parent'?
That would be a big negative.

Thanks for the responses folks!

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperz1 View Post
That would be a big negative.

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
ElusivePedro
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,587
Thumb

That's.
So.
COOOL!!!

"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 465
Great trip and post!

My son was about 10 or 11 when I scored a nice Honda Trail 70 for him. After a few months of riding round the house we hauled the Trail 70 and my KLR up to a easy riding area in the Shenandoah area of Virginia. Did some nice easy trails, made camp, ove-nighted, and went home with memories for a lifetime.

You go dad!

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote