User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
k3ith OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Kawasaki J300 Scooter

Apparently there are rumors that Kawasaki is making a 300cc Maxi-Scoot. There's even a spy shot at the link below. Seems like they're interested in the same market as the Forza and Downtown 300. I'll be paying attention to see how it turns out.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/10/0...hoto-surfaces/
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
longhaul747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Interesting........

Honestly I thought Kawasaki would be the last Japanese manufacture to consider the scooter market. They must know something we don't. Are we right on the edge of even higher gasoline prices?

It looks a lot like the Yamaha T-Max. Kind of on the sporty side of the scooter equation.

My guess is before this new Kawasaki scooter even sees the light of day in the US market they will sit back and see how the Forza 300 does.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Interesting........

Honestly I thought Kawasaki would be the last Japanese manufacture to consider the scooter market. They must know something we don't. Are we right on the edge of even higher gasoline prices?

It looks a lot like the Yamaha T-Max. Kind of on the sporty side of the scooter equation.

My guess is before this new Kawasaki scooter even sees the light of day in the US market they will sit back and see how the Forza 300 does.
Could be the gas or could be they are targeting an aging western population. Almost 13000 Americans turn 65 everyday and many that rode cycles won't be able to swing a leg or work the shiter. But will still want to ride.

Who knows I don't see a big reversal in fuel so that could be a driving force.
We shall see.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,404
I agree I never thought Kawasaki would ever sell a scooter in the U.S. Looks a lot like a Ninja. May even have the Ninja 300 engine in it. Kawasaki has a thing for performance. Definitely looks better than the Forza to me.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
k3ith OP
Gnarly Adventurer

^yeah, my first thought was that a ninja and burgman had a baby. I kindof like it. I assume we'll hear more over the next couple months if it's coming to the US in 2014.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
fzrspirit
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
May even have the Ninja 300 engine in it.
Now that would be nice!
fzrspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
longhaul747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
Could be the gas or could be they are targeting an aging western population. Almost 13000 Americans turn 65 everyday and many that rode cycles won't be able to swing a leg or work the shiter. But will still want to ride.

Who knows I don't see a big reversal in fuel so that could be a driving force.
We shall see.

Be Big,
AMAC
Yeah I can agree on the aging population being a factor on why scooters seem to be increasing in popularity. Also the Japanese brands have been around long enough now for this aging demographic to want to stick with the brands they trust. In the past aging demographics went straight to Harley and that is why I think Harley had such a good run the past 15 years give or take.

One nice thing about Kawasaki is they usually move pretty fast compared to Honda. Kawasaki has been known to release a few spy photos and within a few months the new bike shows up on dealer lots. Unlike Honda that teases and finely gets around to releasing it 12 to 18 months down the road. So its just possible this new Kawasaki scooter will show up sooner then we think.

I also agree that its pretty likely this scooter is using a version of the Ninja 300 motor in it. This sort of parts sharing is becoming the norm. In a related note I heard Yamaha has big plans on the new triple power plant they just released in the FZ09. Over the coming years they plan a who slate of different styles of bikes using this engine. Honda is already doing it with the new 500cc and 700cc twins.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #9
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
The largest market for scooters in Europe, namely Italy, is still in the middle of a horrific recession (sales down 46% from 2012). That scooter market is completely tied down by Honda, Piaggio and Yamaha.

So I would assume that this scooter is destined for the Asian and Indian markets and will probably be produced locally rather than in Japan.

Re the USA: Can anyone here imagine members of the general public (rather than members of this forum) going to a Kawasaki dealer for a scooter?
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #10
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
I don't see this as an issue. Seems like most of the dealers in the US sell Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. Or some combination of this group. The Kawasaki scooter would be on the floor right next to the Honda Scooter.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #11
k3ith OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
Gets my vote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I don't see this as an issue. Seems like most of the dealers in the US sell Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. Or some combination of this group. The Kawasaki scooter would be on the floor right next to the Honda Scooter.
That's my thought. I know of a few Honda dealers that only sell Hondas, but I can't say I've ever noticed a Yamaha or Suzuki dealership that didn't sell Kawasakis. If you put this thing on the floor between a Forza and a Burgman it'll get some attention.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
I wish it could come to Mexico.. but California is close enough!

Looks nice, we will wait and see

Damasovi
Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,112
I think it looks a bit like the old Gilera Nexus. Looks pretty good to me.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post
The largest market for scooters in Europe, namely Italy, is still in the middle of a horrific recession (sales down 46% from 2012). That scooter market is completely tied down by Honda, Piaggio and Yamaha.

So I would assume that this scooter is destined for the Asian and Indian markets and will probably be produced locally rather than in Japan.

Re the USA: Can anyone here imagine members of the general public (rather than members of this forum) going to a Kawasaki dealer for a scooter?
I was talking earlier about the Italian scooter market. Here are the latest statistics for 2013 year-to-date:
http://www.ancma.it/uploads/Statisti...embre-2013.pdf

Hope you find it interesting....

BMW were going to attack the T-Max in its home territory with the "C" series scoots...so where are they on the list?

John
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,112
Because of the recession in Europe, Spain and Italy have seen their 2 wheeled sales crumble. As a result, France is now the number one European country for sales of motorcycles and scooters. The Tmax is the best selling maxi scooter over there. Piaggio 3-wheelers (MP3) out sell motorcycles and scooters.