ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
HarryEye OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Blue 990 "S"--How do I re-paint as stock color?

As usual, I apologise if this topic has been covered. If so, please re-direct me.
I have an '07 Adventure 990 "S" (the blue one), and as advertised, the paint basically just flakes right off. If you've never seen it on this bike, it's pretty pathetic: just a moderate finger nail scratch, and a hunk about the size of half a dime will flake right off. About a square foot total (all added up) is gone from the bike.
Since this apparently happened on many, many of these bikes, did/does KTM do anything about it?
I'd like to re-paint the bike, but in the stock colors. I will be doing all of the prep-work myself, but will leave the actual painting to my professional auto-painter nephew.
How do I figure out the original paint color? Or, do I just have to try to match it?
Was the flaking paint issue inherent in the paint, the primer, the prep-work, or the plastic itself (meaning, if I re-paint this thing, will the new paint just come right off again?).
Can anybody that has done this job recommend a specific type of paint for the plastic/metal that this bike is made of?
Any specific advice would be greatly appreciated, from someone with actual experience. I might want to change the color, but there is something asthetiically pleasing about re-painting it in the color that KTM though was correct (even if it was NOT orange--What was that all about?).
Also, any advice about making the prep-work easy would be great. I did read the "project creep" thread, and there was some good advice about removing the stickers.
Also, is there typically clear-coat over the stickers? It seems like it, but I'm no expert.
Thanks to all in advance!
HarryEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 891
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210447

Its all available at the paint store. I've painted parts of mine more often than I'd have liked
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryEye View Post
Since this apparently happened on many, many of these bikes, did/does KTM do anything about it?
KTM was replacing tanks outside of warranty. I've only seen this mentioned for the case of the bubbling decals (common problem, the paint failing seems less common) and also this was back in 2010 (for 06 bikes). You might want to call KTM Customer Service and see what they say, or if you have a good local dealer, ask them to contact KTM on your behalf.

Quote:
How do I figure out the original paint color? Or, do I just have to try to match it?
There are tons of threads here with the paint codes, try searching. Standox makes most of the paint and any body shop will be able to get it (Dupont distributes in the USA). KTM also sells the paint but maybe only in europe. KTMTwins also sells paint, see their website.

Quote:
Was the flaking paint issue inherent in the paint, the primer, the prep-work, or the plastic itself (meaning, if I re-paint this thing, will the new paint just come right off again?).
This is the $10,000 question. I believe the tanks have an inner lining designed to prevent out-gassing, as otherwise they'd be like any other dirtbike tank, impossible to paint/decal. Quite a few people have used Caswell liner epoxy but mostly to solve cracking issues.

Yes there is clear coat over the stickers. 90 gloss.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71404
http://www.orange-adventures.ch/publ...0Farbcodes.pdf
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,330
Mine was the same way, in fact during a pretty good crash the entire right hand side peeled off in one piece.
I uesd a local auto body paint supply store and had them match the color, that turned out to be very very close to the Yamaha r1 blue.
Painted the bike with proper automotive techniques after sanding all the old blue paint and primer off. Bike still looks great after 2 years and many dismounts. I don't see a need to line the tanks, that can cause a whole different issue.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
Repainting or other options...

I've had my tanks and side fairing repainted several times in blue.

The tanks and plastic have various nuances that inhibit great adhesion. On impact, the tanks will flex inward, then recoil. Paint generally doesn't have enough flex thus releases at the greatest areas of flex.

The inside lower areas of the tanks are very near the front header, and the heat effects the ability of paint to adhere long term. You'll notice the paint flaking in these areas if you look closely.

Also tight edges and curves of the front fairings, especially at the dash seem to flake away. Probably due to vibration and constant flex, sunlight and temperature slightly shrinking and warping the plastic edge.

I'm experimenting with decals as a temporary cosmetic fix, I'll post when my custom order arrives and I approve the quality and application. There is also the option of a full wrap ( although they can't do the metallic or clear coat effects). My problem is I enjoy riding into the office on occasion and can't maintain my clients confidence with their large budgets and tight deadlines if I appear to be the off road hooligan that I am. But realistically, the bike IS a dirt bike first and foremost... and will continue to get "punked". I simply need to mask that as well as possible. But continuous repainting it is just not practical.

However, there's nothing like a fresh paint job, especially in the early KTM S Dakar rally blue.

If you do choose to repaint, you might want to create a strategy for the sensitive areas. When I eventually repaint, I'm going with a chip resistant semi gloss black on the underside and outline on all the tight edges of the side fairing... Something I can touch up with a brush.

And when I spend the money on new paint, I will clear wrap the bike afterwards for extra protection.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 12:46 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryEye View Post
As usual, I apologise if this topic has been covered. If so, please re-direct me.
I have an '07 Adventure 990 "S" (the blue one), and as advertised, the paint basically just flakes right off. If you've never seen it on this bike, it's pretty pathetic: just a moderate finger nail scratch, and a hunk about the size of half a dime will flake right off. About a square foot total (all added up) is gone from the bike.
I'd like to re-paint the bike, but in the stock colors. I will be doing all of the prep-work myself, but will leave the actual painting to my professional auto-painter nephew.
Can anybody that has done this job recommend a specific type of paint for the plastic/metal that this bike is made of?
Any specific advice would be greatly appreciated, from someone with actual experience. I might want to change the color, but there is something asthetiically pleasing about re-painting it in the color that KTM though was correct (even if it was NOT orange--What was that all about?).
Also, any advice about making the prep-work easy would be great. I did read the "project creep" thread, and there was some good advice about removing the stickers.
Also, is there typically clear-coat over the stickers? It seems like it, but I'm no expert.
Thanks to all in advance!
Yeah, when you peel off the stickers it looks like shit.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
OP's bike.In my garage for "safe keeping". This is by far the least-affected spot. Runs great by the way :)
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote