ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Carlton Complex Fire

Okanogan County's mega fire is being talked about elsewhere, but this thing deserves its own thread at this point.

Now at 215,000 acres, Pateros has burned, Brewster was just evacuated, and Twisp is at Level 2 evacuation level. Power and cell service are out throughout the Methow Valley, and I just read an update that 911 emergency call services are out as well. It is a serious shitstorm out there.

I grew up in the Methow, went to Allen Elementary in Twisp and Liberty Bell Junior/Senior High School in Winthrop. I have been glued to Facebook for the last three days, reading posts from childhood friends that are abandoning their homes with only what they can carry. It is heartbreaking.

Current map of the fire from NASA satellite:

Link to donations via Almira Fire Department: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Almir...16313891727441

If anyone is in this area and is being affected by the fire, don't be afraid to ask the adv community for help! The Methow is a tough rural community and it will survive this. Examples of hometown heroism are everywhere; the Carlton General Store is staying open all night in order to pump gas to whoever needs it. Donations are coming in, and people are opening their doors to anyone that has been displaced by the evacuations. Cheers to the firefighters, smokejumpers and everyone that has lent a hand so far.

Every year when I was a kid there were fires, people that we knew lost their homes from time to time, but I don't know anyone that remembers anything this bad.

Post updates, news, ideas, prayers and wishes here!

81forest screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 02:11 PM
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

From Carlton General Store's page on Facebook, I get goosebumps reading this:

"Just a reminder to everyone in the valley that the store is now pumping gas and we will be open all night! That's right all night the doors will be open for anything that you need. If you need a place to stay we will be here. Please make sure you have enough water and gas for your generators!"
Old 07-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
Ride Now
Graybeard

Oddometer: 118
Here's a couple of links for InciWeb. The first is the main page for the Carlton Complex fire and the second is the link from the announcement box at the top of the page. It has phone numbers and a link to the Okanogan County Sheriff Office facebook page.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/3967/

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/3967/22394/
Ride Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for those links, Ride Now. Are you seeing ash in Yakima?

Old 07-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Ride Now
Graybeard

Nothing right now, but we're actually a long ways from these major fires. We have had several small, by comparison, fires in the area that are all pretty much contained.

Ride Now screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 02:37 PM
Old 07-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Pic of the Bear Creek fire line, with helicopter about to scoop up some Lake Pearrygin.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
Eastview
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
How did you get the google earth image with the fire on it?
I am trying to get information for a friends wife who's place is on the river half way between Methow and Carlton.
2006 BMW K1200S (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tricolore(sold)Replaced with 2002 Foggy Monster
Eastview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastview View Post
Try this. http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/googleearth.php

Click on "Fire Detections(MODIS): Current" Below the map.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastview View Post
I am trying to get information for a friends wife who's place is on the river half way between Methow and Carlton.
That image was posted to fb by this site: http://nwfires.com

Lots of good intel and updates on there. Best of luck to your friends.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
joeaverage
mediumcore

Oddometer: 112
Thanks for the info. My sister is over there and her area is at level 2 evac notice right now. She relocated her livestock yesterday and is ready to bug out with the kids. It seems like she has to go through this every couple of years.

joeaverage screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 05:16 PM
joeaverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaverage View Post
Thanks for the info. My sister is over there and here area is at level 2 evac notice right now. She relocated her livestock yesterday and is ready to bug out with the kids. It seems like she has to go through this every couple of years.
Wow, best of luck to her. I think the toll on open range livestock is going to be pretty bad.

97 homes lost so far. No human casualties. Here is a pic of a friend's house that we were all sure was going to burn, but was saved by aerial bombing of fire retardant. He and his family evacuated yesterday; he built this place by hand about 30 years ago and I know he didn't want to leave..

Gotta love that "slurry red" paint job from the retardant, I'm sure he does.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
Ride Now
Graybeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Now View Post
Nothing right now, but we're actually a long ways from these major fires. We have had several small, by comparison, fires in the area that are all pretty much contained.
Forgot about this one.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...s-38000-acres/
Old 07-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Now View Post
Uff da.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #14
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,023
Here is a site I use for checking fires.

http://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/nfn.htm

Lots of stuff burning. New fire southeast of Spokane already thousands of acres. If it gets to the fields, look out.
8000 acres in Hells Canyon near Pittsburg Landing.
A bunch of fires in OR around Mitchell, Shaniko, etc.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:44 AM   #15
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Lots of fires burning throughout the region, just like every bad fire year. But this one is different, for me anyway. Update via fb from a local resident, posted one hour ago:

"...spent the afternoon driving around the Methow and down to Pateros to get a sense of what has happened. It is intense, people. What you can see from twisp and Winthrop doesn't begin to describe what the landscape now looks like south of Carlton. It is like a blackened moonscape on both sides of the road. It seems that most houses did survive, but occasionally, mostly south of Methow, there is simply a foundation with a lonely chimney standing in the middle. For several miles, the telephone/power poles are blackened stumps, and the power lines hang twisted and blackened in mid air, or lie like ropes on the ground. Above Carlton, & up Libby Creek, giant plumes of smoke still rise. Word at the Carlton general store was that Vinton Road was the source of one of these plumes. We continued onto Pateros, a scene of devastation. It seems that the fire mostly limited itself to a two block area, but everything in that area not made of stone or metal is simply gone. The metal itself is twisted, charred and disfigured not quite beyond recognition. It is easy to see what used to be a washing machine or dryer or refrigerator or a spiral staircase, even in their blackened and twisted state. It was incredibly poignant. A Reporter from Spokane who spoke with us had just come from Chilliquist. He said the devastation was worse there, as they had again no warning before evacuation. Most of the houses were charred, and dead cows were in the road. Back in twisp, the streets were mostly empty. In Winthrop, the sound of the blues festival seemed incongruous, as did the sight of tourists with lawn chairs walking towards the festival. It is all so surreal. Came back down to twisp after some hot dogs with Jim and Kathleen, and drove out a little ways to see what I can see. Sitting here at the Twisp airport, next to the runway, I can see Benson Creek fully in flames, the entire hillside glowing like the embers of a campfire. It still feels far away, but of course not far enough."

81forest screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 12:54 AM