User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
markjenn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Map and Mapsource reinstalls - is there an easier way?

The HD on my laptop recently went AWOL so I'm in the process of installing a new one and rebuilding my system.

One aspect that really pains me is getting all my maps and Mapsource re-installed. Just to get a working City Nav 2008 going, I think I'll have to install CS V5 (the last "full" version I bought), then run the update to CS V7, then update again to CN 2008, then finally update to the latest Mapsource and reinstall all my lock codes.

Is there an easier way?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
MotoJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
The HD on my laptop recently went AWOL so I'm in the process of installing a new one and rebuilding my system.

One aspect that really pains me is getting all my maps and Mapsource re-installed. Just to get a working City Nav 2008 going, I think I'll have to install CS V5 (the last "full" version I bought), then run the update to CS V7, then update again to CN 2008, then finally update to the latest Mapsource and reinstall all my lock codes.

Is there an easier way?

- Mark
Hi Mark,

I can't help you with your current reinstall but I can show you can avoid it in the future. After you get your system back the way you want it get some disk imaging software like this.

It will make life easier so you can spend more time riding

Jim
MotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,514
Likely able to skip a few steps,do the CN5 install,then just the latest update,don't think you need all the intermediate updates,unless you have specific GPS units unlocked to version 7 or 8.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
markjenn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, I've thought about using some type of disk image software so that I can back up applications and settings. To date, I've just employed a strategy of keeping all my data in one place and keeping that backed up, but when you have a HD failure, you do end up spending a lot of time doing application reinstall and reconfiguring to get things back. This is first HD failure I've had in twenty years. The failure was in a dell laptop and it was then that I realized they ship with absolutely no OS and not even the drivers on CD anymore. Getting a current XP install with all the appropriate drivers took another computer and the better part of a half a day.

This sort of thing makes you a believer in "thin clients" pretty quickly. I've converted to server-based email a while back and it was great not to have to do anything with email.

I'll try skipping the intermediate map update.

Thanks for the help.

- Mark
Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
markjenn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just installed CN 2008 and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. The update DVD didn't ask to see a previous installation, installed fine, and I was able to retrieve all my unlock codes from myGarmin online. Relatively painless. They've improved this stuff since the last time I went through this.

- Mark
Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Just installed CN 2008 and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. The update DVD didn't ask to see a previous installation, installed fine, and I was able to retrieve all my unlock codes from myGarmin online. Relatively painless. They've improved this stuff since the last time I went through this.

- Mark
I thought that was the case - just install the latest version and use the latest unlock code. Glad that it is.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
markjenn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
I thought that was the case - just install the latest version and use the latest unlock code. Glad that it is.
It didn't use to be that way - I recall trying an update disc on a virgin installation a couple years ago and it balking and saying that I had to install an original, then update.

- Mark