ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #31
DarrenM1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
09' R1200GS Adventure Garmin 478 Install

Hey everyone I thought I'd share the GPS install on my GSA. I'm new here and first I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to post. This site has lots of great people willing to help others and thats fantastic.

Bike: 2009' BMW R1200 GS Adventure
GPS: Garmin 478 -- Bought from "Get Feet Weet". I debated for awhile about buying new or refurb. After speaking to the rep at GFW, he told me he would always buy refurb from Garmin as it has the same warranty... and all of their Garmin refurbs are unsold store returns. i.e. some store such as "West Marine" returns a load of unsold product etc.
-- I paid $599.00 for the GPS unit with a GXM-30 Antenna and $26.00 for two day shipping.

Mount:
Touratech: Locking Mount for Garmin 276c, 376c Part Number: 065-0087 $148.60
Touratech: GPS Mount Adapter R1200GS Adventure Part Number: 044-0770 $56.80
Touratech: CANbus power cable Garmin 276c, 376, 478 Part Number: 065-0283 $81.80
Touratech: 12v Hardwire power kit for Garmin Part Number: GC12V276

My Touratech invoice was $316.20 plus 22.20 for UPS 3 day select shipping.

My first order of business was to make sure my 80 dollar CANbus cable would work properly... Hey I spent 22k on a bike, $80 is pricey for a cable but I don't have to cut wires so the next guy that owns the bike someday will appreciate it. Anyway, the front CANbus on the '09 GSA is taped nicely to a wiring harness just under the steering head. I unwrapped the connector, unplugged and slid off the cap and the Touratech cable plugged right in... I was impressed.

You may have noticed I ordered the standard connector also. I did this to hedge my bet with the BMW specific CANbus connector... I would have used it had the CANbus connector not worked properly... as it is I have an extra or I may return this to Touratech.

This made the rest of the installation super easy. Follow the instructions on the included sheets and your in business. My biggest dilema was where to mount the GXM-30 hockey puck antenna. After much trial and error I came up with an unusual solution. My brother is in the sign business... and he uses a 3M product called Dual Lock. Its like super sticky tape with small nylon interlocking teeth. He uses it to fasten vinyl coverings to 18 wheelers going down the highway.

Using dual lock I mounted the antenna on top of the front brake reservoir. It is removable and it seems very secure... I'll post if it comes off unexpectedly.

Anyway, thats my setup. It cost approximately $900.00. The GPS has fantastic readability. It came with a 2010 city navigator download and with the antenna I have XM radio... which beats listening to the same 100 songs on my Ipod.
[/font]

BMW R1200 GS Adventure
Yamaha WR250R
Harley Davidson Softail Springer CVO (gone but not forgotten)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504540
DarrenM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #32
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,337
I like your mount for the XM radio antenna. I need to get me one of those antennas.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #33
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I like your mount for the XM radio antenna. I need to get me one of those antennas.
anyone find a deal on the gxm30 antenna lately?
it's about time for me to be having mine as well ......
and I better start thinking about where it's gonna be mounted.

my otterbox armor and location is working out pretty good.
It's a little tough undoing the latches and the screen could be tilted more towards me but all in all it's surviving nicely.

In the offroad environment things are just tougher .....
while on an enduro with the 478 I had a power on/off switch mounted just outside the headlight housing. It was next to the gps antenna and I thought that was messing up it's reception so I moved it slightly, but it was now outside the headlight housing and that was a bad move as one of the wires got torn off passing some brush or something. anyway the gps fell back to battery power and didn't have enough juice to finish the course, dang it!
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #34
DarrenM1
Adventurer

Cry GPS Mount R1200 GSA Update. Touratech 044-0770

Thought I'd share a little more info on the Touratech mount:

GPS Mount Adapter R1200GS Adventure Part Number: 044-0770 $56.80

This mount fits fine, and provides the Touratech GPS holder a place to mount to... but a couple of things have come up that I wanted to share.

The mount sits about 4" away from the upper windshield support... this tends to make the windshield shake worse than it normally does. You almost have to give the bike a touch of throttle at idle to steady the GPS enough to read it...

Secondly,
My brother and I were riding near a lake and my attention was diverted to locating the gravel cut off to get back to the main road. My bike came stock with the Metzler Touring Tires... which are great road tires but terrible off road tires. (I digress) anyway I was doing about 2 mph looking to the right when I should of been looking straight ahead. The bike basically laid over in some soft mud... NOT A SCRATCH... but the mass of the Touratech GPS mount wrenched the upper windshield mount enough to break the little $12 bottom attachment bolt... and bent the upper windshield support... $250.00. I was able to straighten the upper support so technically the f up only cost me $12, and hurt my feelings a bit.

Since, I've been thinking of moving the GPS to the handlebar - I like the idea of the windshield mount though, you can easily see your speed without ever moving your eyes -very handy. But if the easiest of all falls causes broken parts I'm not sure if its worth it.

Oh and the Dual Lock that held the GXM-30 antenna in place held fine. So far so good.

BMW R1200 GS Adventure
Yamaha WR250R

Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #35
HMR
Alps & Dirt Roads

Oddometer: 134
Heavy duty damped mount on a KTM 690:

Damped RAM-mount on a F800GS:

Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #36
Killen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Question Garmin 378 with XM Weather ~ Mounting

I'm trying to determine the most secure mounting hardware for my Garmin 378C and XM weather receiver. I like the Touratech mount and have had good luck with my Touratech Street Pilot mount.

I have been told the plastic one from Garmin will do just fine. Does anyone know?

Placement, I would prefer not to cover any instrumentation with the location of the GPS. Two options right now:

1. Touratech mount and mounting adaptor that hold the G378 across the top cross bar. Does anyone know if this blocks the speedo or tach? This is about $200.
2. Ram mount on the handle bars, use the plastic mount and Ram it. About $40.
3. The Weather puck....best location? on the front fender? I like the way that looks, but I wonder if that air flow affects the oil temperature too much by the slight wind blockage?

So any recommendations or pictures to post? Thanks.
Killen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:10 AM   #37
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,876
Time to merge the collective knowledge of the X76/X78 series in a mount thread.

Dave
ADV Mod

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #38
Killen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
XM Weather Puck

Anyone have experience they can share with securing the weather XM puck on the front fender...running the wire under the oil cooler in-take?
Killen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #39
DarrenM1
Adventurer

Quote:
1. Touratech mount and mounting adaptor that hold the G378 across the top cross bar. Does anyone know if this blocks the speedo or tach? This is about $200.
If your referring to the mount 044-0770; I'm 6' and after fiddling with the exact angle and placement I have virtually no visual blockage of the main instruments. Between the touratech GPS mount and the Touratech GPS mount mount:) there is a some flexibility. I fooled with it until I could get the key in the locking gps holder and little to know instrument blockage. One interesting thing is that if anything is visually blocked it would likely be the speedo in the 50 to 100 mph hour range... This was not a real issue as your GPS will have your speed displayed in the upper right corner on the nav page. I have found that you can check your speed with this configuration without really taking your eyes off the cop hiding in the bushes. I've also discovered that the BMW speedo is a little fast i.e. if it reads 50 your actually speed is a little less according to my 478.

Quote:
3. The Weather puck....best location? on the front fender? I like the way that looks, but I wonder if that air flow affects the oil temperature too much by the slight wind blockage?
Though I didn't want to mount my GXM-30 antenna on my fender I cannot imagine how any type of similar antenna would affect oil temperature as long as you don't stick the antenna directly over the oil cooler. The puck antenna is roughly less than an inch tall... the overall reduction in air flow if you flat mount the antenna to the fender several inches in front of the oil cooler would be negligible.

BMW R1200 GS Adventure
Yamaha WR250R

Old 06-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #40
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,351
I've got a 276c and love it, can't see using any of the new ones. Anyway, I've got it setup for four bikes; a Dakar, 1150 ADV, 1200 ADV and a travel setup for my VMax or whatever other bike I decide to fly in and ride home.

Here's a couple of pics of the Dakar setup, since it was the most elaborate of the three.

I first tried this approach (almost identical to my 1150 setup)

But I decided I had to look down too much, so I went to a different setup that replaces the windshield mounts.

I like the marine mount. I typically discard the lower half and use only the upper section.

here it is mounted.

I'll see if I can dig up the 1200 mount as well.

The whole build for the Dakar is here.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #41
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,166
I'm using the marine mount bolted to an aluminum plate, mounted to my quick release top box. The whole setup comes off very easy and I never have to unplug anything from the Garmin, instead a military grade waterproof connector is used on the box to supply power, and the audio comes out the front with a panel mount 1/8th jack.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote