Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
daGeeeze OP
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,877
Zumo 550 route resistance

I don't know how many times I've gone between my house and a friend's house some 30 miles away but it's a lot. The drive usually entails dodging traffic and idiots on "The Parkway" through Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. I hate that. I've worked hard to create some forced routes to bypass a bunch. I'm still not happy with most of the routes I've taken.

Except once recently. I had started down the Parkway headed to a detour point when I jammed up in traffic. I took a chance and punched the DETOUR button. It had me make a U-turn so I did that. The route it took me to was great. It has to be the best way I've gone. Today I was in that area and wanted the same route but couldn't remember a couple of the turns. So I told my GPS to take me to that same point, predictably it took me Parkway which I didn't want. Confidently I punched DETOUR.

It took me a block off the road, down less than a mile and back onto the Parkway. I punched DETOUR again. Once again off a block, down less than a mile, back on the Parkway. I spotted the turn I remembered and took it. Now that I was on the right route I hit STOP, chose my destination, waited while it told me to make a U-turn, and confidently punched DETOUR.

It went like this.
I kept driving the way I knew I wanted.
"Recalculating"
"In 3 tenths of a mile make a U-turn."
"Recalculating"
"In 3 tenths of a mile turn left then turn left" (another way to make a U-turn)
"Recalculating"
"In 3 tenths of a mile turn right then turn right"
DETOUR
"turn left ahead"
DETOUR
"make a U-turn"
DETOUR
"turn right ahead"
DETOUR
"make a U-turn"
DETOUR
"make a U-turn"
DETOUR
"make a U-turn"
DETOUR
"turn left then turn left"
DETOUR
"drive 4.5 miles"

Finally got it convinced to take the route it took almost automatically the first time. WTF? I don't have traffic unless it's sneaking it out of my XM without me knowing. Why would it work so easily one time and resist so violently the next time within days?

Very frustrating. I'll have to double check each and every route to see what wierdness I'm being dealt.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 751
This has happened to me many times although it maybe a Garmin issue versus a Zumo issue as my Nuvi does similar change of routing by itself. I don't have XM or traffic service and I have been in an exact same spot and told it to take me home or back to a destination in a favorites folder and it always seem to select a different route. No settings or route preferences were changed. It is frustrating since one time, it will take me on a backroad home while a second time, it will take me the long way by going the extra way to detour me to a nearby highway to get to the same place.

WTF?

As far as using routes from Mapsource or following a previous route retrieved from Zumo, I have learned to disable "Recalculation Mode" and "Avoidances" to make it follow the same route instead of recalculating my preferred routes. Of course, I have to remember to enable the recalculation mode when I am just using it to find an address, etc.

This is the biggest PIA feature. One additional prompt during the route selection where it simply ask you whether to use the existing programmed route or to allow to recalculate in a simple "yes" or "No" entry would end all this BS.

Jon