ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
MungoP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Why can't I see this track on the GPS with T4A?

I've got Tracks 4 Australia PRO v1.2 data v1.0 on the PC and can see a track from Payne's Crossing North of Wollombi across to the Putty Rd.

When I look on the GPSMap 60Cx, it doesn't display the track no matter how much I zoom in.

City Navigator 7.0 doesn't know about the track across to the Putty Rd but does show Stockyard Creek Tr at Payne's Crossing. I was expecting to see it when I 'hid' the CN map and 'showed' T4A.

Shonky shows the track across to the Putty Rd on the PC but I haven't loaded Shonky onto the GPS unit.

I have upgraded Mapsource to 6.13.7 but haven't put that on the unit.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,221
Hi Mungo. Mapsource runs on the PC, not the GPS. The latest firmware for your gps is 3.90, and if you go that way it seems that using Garmins webupdater program gives more reliable results. All free donloads from garmin.

I've noticed with the maps that while most tracks are duplicated between the different mapsets, occasionally a track will appear on one but not the other. Shonky is based on the 1:250,000 natmap raster maps. T4A I'm not sure, but I think it uses the same base data, complemented by contributions from the public, so to speak, so someone may have driven that one and it appears in T4A, but it is possible it wasn't in the map data for the other mapset. Dunno. You just have to roll with it sometimes.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
MungoP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Is firmware upgradeable?

Thanks God. I've got 3.30 firmware on the GPS. I wasn't convinced that I had Mapsource running on the GPS. Firmware is not a phrase I'm familiar with (even though I've been a computer programmer for 25 odd years). It would imply by its name that it is hard wired on the chip in the unit and as such would need to be updated by physical replacement rather than downloading software.

I'll wander off to the Garmin site to find out about updating the firmware.
I haven't heard about issues with that (as there were/are with the current latest release of Mapsource).
Old 06-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
If you have both City Navigator and Tracks4Australia PRO loaded and both mapsets are enabled (default if you have done nothing else) then a priority scheme comes into play and only City Navigator will display

Only one mapset will display at a time

To display T4A you need to un-select City Nav on the GPS
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,221
Oops. Hi Mungo. The term firmware is used a lot in meatspace, so I tend to repeat it myself, but it is indeed software. Your version 3.30 is fairly old now, mine came with 3.70 and I recently upgraded it to 3.90. It gave a couple of oddities for a day or 2, then just settled down and behaves like usual. There's some info on it in the main gps forum here somewhere.

I have stayed clear of the last 2 releases of mapsource and am sticking with 13.7 for now, it seems reliable enough and the upgrades have displayed some "interesting" features to say the least, although the current one doesn't seem too bad from what I read in here.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Don't recommend that you upgrade to firmware v3.90 for your GPSmap 60Cx, 60CSx, 76CX or 76CSx.

Main difference is it supports mapsets over 2GB.
Only problem is that the screen will from time to time just fade away and shutdown the GPS.

Stay on v3.70
I have a copy of v3.70 (2MB) if you want it.
Note that loading it after loading v3.90 will clear your waypoints, routes and tracklogs and reset the GPS to factory defaults.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
MungoP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The problem isn't swapping between CN and T4A.

I know how to swap between T4A and CN on the GPS. That's not the problem. I've given too much info and that is causing confusion about what the problem is.

The problem is that I can see a track using T4A on the PC but when I'm on the GPS displaying T4A maps the track isn't displayed. I believe it's the Old Convict Trail between Payne's Crossing and the Putty Rd.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:19 AM   #8
BurnieM
Nipple boy

I don't have T4A PRO here but I do have T4A and I can see the track you are refering to labeled as 'Unpaved Road' (no name).

Either City Nav is not hidden or Tracks4Australia PRO is not selected or you do not have that segment loaded.

Try loading just the area around there from T4A PRO only
Old 06-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
MungoP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Track now showing

I reloaded CN, T4A and also for the first time Shonky onto the GPS and the track now does show with T4A. So the problem has gone away but as far as I'm concerned the problem hasn't been solved as I learnt nothing in the area of reloading, hiding and showing of maps.

I did learn two new words - firmware and meatspace.

Thanks Godsilla and Burnie.