Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
kevjud OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
2720 "Next Turn"

When I make a route on my Garmin, it will often tell me that my next turn is 3 miles away only to find out that it will tell me to continue on the same road I am on. Is there a way to tell it to announce a true turn? If I don't have to turn for 127 miles fine, I would rather know that than have 6 or 7 "continue on xxx road". Thanks in advance.
Kevin
kevjud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
I think that's just one of the limitations with electronic routing. The GPS doesn't know if your "turn" is actually on the same road. I encounter the same thing every now and then, and occasionally it will have me take an exit only to get right back on the highway.

GPS routing still requires some thought.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
There's two possibilities here.

One could be is that some older mapsets have what "it thinks" as a turn when really that road keeps going straight. Basically, in the main map data base, the road stops and begins at that point which it interprets as a turn. Sometimes it will tell you turn when really there is no turn there. This seems to be a lot better in later mapsets.

The other is your GPS is just giving you "status updates". Check in your settings for navigation. One of the options is to announce directions and status updates. (it might be worded differently, but you'll see what I mean) What you are probably getting is the status updates. Tell it to give you the direction prompts only.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 06-16-2009 at 06:29 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
This seems to be a lot better in later mapsets.
That's a good point. Kev, which version map software are you using? An update may lessen the annoyance, though it won't completely get rid of it.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #5
kevjud OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
It is version 8. I am going to update to the lifetime version, or whatever they call it. Thanks for the advice, I'll check to see if the status updates in turned on.
kevjud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,277
Database issue and it might not go away with upgrades, but the intersections or locations that it occurs at might change. Each node on the map is coded with the attributes of each path in and out so it can calculate routes, type of road, speedlimit etc. I get the same crap every couple miles when I'm on I 270 thanks to the express vs. local lanes, constantly telling me to keep left every couple miles onto I270 when I'm already on it. Also get it on some major and back roads when I'm on the big road with the right away, but it still says there an upcoming turn, which is really just to stay on the same road.

PIA, but after a while you get used to it and no how to deal with it.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
Ebbs15
Parttime Saddletramp

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Database issue and it might not go away with upgrades, but the intersections or locations that it occurs at might change. Each node on the map is coded with the attributes of each path in and out so it can calculate routes, type of road, speedlimit etc. I get the same crap every couple miles when I'm on I 270 thanks to the express vs. local lanes, constantly telling me to keep left every couple miles onto I270 when I'm already on it. Also get it on some major and back roads when I'm on the big road with the right away, but it still says there an upcoming turn, which is really just to stay on the same road.

PIA, but after a while you get used to it and no how to deal with it.
if you haven't already figured out... that's due to the accuracy of your GPS... it's error margin. it may "think" you are actually on the side road.

when I go back into mapsource and upload my tracks... and zoom way in... i'm actually only on the road according to Garmin's maps about 1/3 of the time... the rest of the time I'm kinda zig zag'n across it.
Ebbs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #8
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15
if you haven't already figured out... that's due to the accuracy of your GPS... it's error margin. it may "think" you are actually on the side road.

when I go back into mapsource and upload my tracks... and zoom way in... i'm actually only on the road according to Garmin's maps about 1/3 of the time... the rest of the time I'm kinda zig zag'n across it.
Not necessarily, this is generally overcome via the firmware in the GPS which compensates for standard errors using the same algorithm that you can select for the map display "snap to roads".

I have edited and built some maps using the public domain utilities and am pretty sure that the standard cause of this type of behavior is the database.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Ebbs15
Parttime Saddletramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Not necessarily, this is generally overcome via the firmware in the GPS which compensates for standard errors using the same algorithm that you can select for the map display "snap to roads".

I have edited and built some maps using the public domain utilities and am pretty sure that the standard cause of this type of behavior is the database.
True... but my point when dealing with roads that have frontage roads or two roads that closely parallel each other for a while... it may "snap to" the wrong one...
Old 06-18-2009, 04:07 AM   #10
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15
Which GPS do you have? The current map sets are much better than the older ones for routing.

As Phil notes, there are some quirky database points that give problems. I notice them a lot on roads that years ago had jogs in them at intersections that were then straightened out. Someone didn't update it.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #11
Ebbs15
Parttime Saddletramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
Which GPS do you have? The current map sets are much better than the older ones for routing.

As Phil notes, there are some quirky database points that give problems. I notice them a lot on roads that years ago had jogs in them at intersections that were then straightened out. Someone didn't update it.
Legend HC and that could be... though several of my buddies have the same issue... I know their GPS's are newer... but no idea how new.

I also have Garmin GPS on my Black Berry Storm... haven't noticed issues... but only used it on short trips... haven't had any issue