User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
jossef OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
My DR650 Rebuild Project Thread (Yossi / Israel)

Hi everyone,
I would like to start a rebuild thread of my DR650.....as I promise to Mezo last week. since it is my first time here let me introduce myself....My name is Yossi and I am from Israel, age 40 married with 3 kids,my love to suzuki thumpers started 20 years ago and since then the DR650 is my favorite bike. I read a lot on ADV but always stays in the background.....
So, the story of this rebuid begun last year while buying a faulty motor, year 99 from a friend who decided not to fix it, so I bought it and started an overhall. The engine was disassembled in order to find the root cause of the noise been generated while changing gear.

I started by taking off the clutch cover and the problem immidiatly appear, the primary gear axe was moving, and the bearing had significant play. I then understand that I need to open the case in order to replace this particular bearing......

So the goal of the project are:
1- rebuild the engine: replacing all bearings, all oil retainers, gaskets, rings, piston etc'
2- Then find a bike with a broken engine, pay cheap and install this one.
3- Rebuild the whole bike from scratch so at least it will be like a new one.
3- Build a bike which will be a real adventure bike, good both for off and on road.
4- comfortable.
5- Able to ride long distance with larger fuel tank.
6- and then if I don't have budget problems , start upgrading each module like: shock absorber, brakes and accessories.

Realy don't know how this bike will look at the end .......with these kind of projects you know how you start but don't know how it ends, so I will go slowly slowly step by step.....

So I start with the head removal, camshaft etc

and the cylinder. As you can see the walls were shiny. Before assembling back, I tried the scratching stuff with scotch-bright and WD40 as recommended in many websites for Nikasil material- what I can tell you guys this is BS- Nikasil is very hard no scotchbright can do anything to it unless I missed something here.....

while inspecting the clutch cover I noticed that a piece of metal is missing arround the clutch rod (in the middle of the picture)- I assume this was the root cause for the demaged bearing of the primary gear axe. Probably the rod had some play and clutch release was not smooth as should be.

To make the long story short the case was openned and finally reached the faulty bearing and removed it....

On the way a new set of engine bearings was bought and the old ones got replaced.

so as all the oil retainers...

Then after the case was closed I install a new JE piston+rings, this is a high comp one 10.5:1 instead of 9.5:1.
Here I want some feedbacks from you guys regarding this uograde. How does the engine feels ? how is the riding with the new piston?

keep moving upward...now it was the engine head turn to be rebuilded. all valves spings and stuff were dismantled and kept in separate boxes.
Head was cleaned thoroughly and start lapping the valves seats.

Nice to meet you all.....welcome to my shop.

Once the head was ready I put the valves and springs back to their original places.....now it was the valves cover assembly to be taken apart: all shafts were inspected and measured with a micrometer to make sure they are in spec limits, then moly pasted them and lube.

Don't get me wrong....This pix above is the "before" cleaning....

jossef screwed with this post 07-03-2009 at 02:05 AM Reason: type error
jossef is offline   Reply With Quote