User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,630
It's not a BMW airhead but....

My Guzzi project is SLOWLY looking like a motorcycle again.

The beginning

I heard about the bike a few years before I hauled it home, the initial asking price was stupid high so I let it sit for a while. I'd call back every year or so asking if he still had it and eventually worked the price down to a reasonable $1000...but he wouldn't pull the trigger....I had to pull out the big guns. I talked to his wife, who learned that there was $1000 sitting in the garage under layer of grunge and sawdust.

The next day I got the call and was there with checkbook in hand.

She aint a prom queen but to me there is beauty under the fugliness.
A teardown revealed a broken shift return spring and some electrical malevolence but otherwise she was an unexpected beauty.

The original plan was to put the footboards back on but I scored a set of LeMans I-II footpegs off eBay for $50. I'm going to take a step backwards and remove the board frame rails and paint up another set of for the pegs.

It's been a long haul (kids kinda take all the available time and money out of life) but there is progress in a glacial kind of way. Some guy named Chopperman is spooning on a set of cheap tires and I've started working on a new wiring harness which doesn't resemble any Moto Guzzi schematic I've ever seen.

My obsession for the last decade or so has been old Guzzis even though I primarily ride a Triumph Sprint RS now. The Triumph is a wonderful machine, technically better in every way than the Guzzi but Guzzis are in my soul. If I could have one motorcycle for the rest of my life It would without a doubt be a warmed over 1976 Moto Guzzi T-3.

Matt
PUI

ps. I'm not sure how much pic hosting abuse my Verizon account can take...I guess we'll find out.

Nessman screwed with this post 10-29-2004 at 08:58 PM
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,916
man o man

get a smugmug account now so we can watch the T-3 come back to life.

Very cool bike.

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,298
Keep it coming
I've never owned a guzzi, but I keep thinking I'd like one. A friend has a V7 sport, we call it the SS Mussalini. No brakes, won't turn, but that motor Torque every where, and the looks make up for all it's failings
Damn, I'm gonna start looking for a LeMans.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:09 PM   #4
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,283
yeah Matt, lookin good. damn fine work. funny how Guzzi's work into yer blood stream,
Old 11-08-2004, 08:13 AM   #5
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Oddometer: 3,351
Glacial progress or not, get a smugmug account, Matt! I blew my wad on bandwidth for my Ratuzki project pics. Now I can't retrieve any of them, and have to start from scratch. Do yourself a favor and spend the $30 for a Smugmug account. You'll be happy you did! Oh btw... nice score on that guzzi! I can't wait to see it come along!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #6
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH
Some guy named Chopperman is spooning on a set of cheap tires
he's a freak.

sweet ride meng. keep us posted as it comes together

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:43 AM   #7
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,070
The Ratzuki & Guzzi projects

may just get me through the winter. I'm counting on you guys

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:24 AM   #8
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
he's a freak.

sweet ride meng. keep us posted as it comes together

Matt is an awesome dude. But loaded is correct. I am a freak. I got Matts tires under control. THose antique tires were a PITA to remove. The aged petrified rubber combined with the deep Borriani rims.....egad. I pulled the lag bolts holting my tire mounter right out of the floor. Then I puled a dipshit meneuver and pinched a tube putting the new tire on. I havent done that in a looong time.

I shoulda snarfed those bags from Matt when he was selling them. They would do well on my T-3 project.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #9
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
They would do well on my T-3 project.
t-3 project?

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:06 AM   #10
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,079
another T3

Nice to hear of another T3 project. I've got a T3 that was my project for about 12 years. I found it up a canyon in Big Sur back in the early 90's. I got it for $200, and took it apart. Engine was on the kitchen table for over a year. Hung a sidecar on it with leading link fork. I finally got it sorta running back in 2000. Had major electircal trouble. Ended up putting Ducati Paso handlebar switches on it. Lucas headlight. (I didn't know it was a 6volt light. Went off like a flashbulb.) Then moved to AZ, and got it running pretty good. Trouble is the old biker I bought it from, has since passed on, and I never got the paperwork for it. So now, I can't register it here in AZ without a putting up a bond. So it's just used to bomb around the desert, and give rides to kids. Lot's of fun.
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:11 AM   #11
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshoes
Nice to hear of another T3 project. I've got a T3 that was my project for about 12 years. I found it up a canyon in Big Sur back in the early 90's. I got it for $200, and took it apart. Engine was on the kitchen table for over a year. Hung a sidecar on it with leading link fork. I finally got it sorta running back in 2000. Had major electircal trouble. Ended up putting Ducati Paso handlebar switches on it. Lucas headlight. (I didn't know it was a 6volt light. Went off like a flashbulb.) Then moved to AZ, and got it running pretty good. Trouble is the old biker I bought it from, has since passed on, and I never got the paperwork for it. So now, I can't register it here in AZ without a putting up a bond. So it's just used to bomb around the desert, and give rides to kids. Lot's of fun.
Any pics?

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:18 AM   #12
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshoes

You should be able to register it as an "Ownership in doubt" without a bond. At least you can in wa state. If the bond is more than a grand, find another one that is really messed up and stranfer everything to the frame and case of that one?
Old 11-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #13
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,630
To do list:

Get a Smugmug account as per Pally's recommendation, CHECK

Change my user name to something less lame than MattH, CHECK

Hey, wanna see my munchkins.

www.geocities.com/milo850t3/soccer

www.geocities.com/milo850t3/hockey

That's why I never have time to actually do anything in the garage.

Matt
Pokeyman (also no great shakes in the creativity department but hey...)
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote