User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2004, 06:00 AM   #16
Huggin' Jugs
Still too young to care..

Oddometer: 457
Hockey Pucks

The problem(s) with the NHL are numerous - no lucrative TV contracts to offset the overpaid players which means the owners have to make up the loss by raising ticket prices on fans who can't afford it. Who's to blame? Both sides if you ask me. The league is too big (they have ice hockey teams in places they don't even get ice!).

Not to long ago Ted Leonsis brought Jagr to Washington for the price he could buy a small country. I guess he hadn't learned from Dan Snyder of the Redskins that you can't buy wins.

The season is over this year. Too many struggling owners would rather chalk up a year in the black than pay salaries and lose more money. Too many players are skating elsewhere. If you ask me, we need some scabs to start playing.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:11 AM   #17
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggin' Jugs
The problem(s) with the NHL are numerous - no lucrative TV contracts to offset the overpaid players which means the owners have to make up the loss by raising ticket prices on fans who can't afford it. Who's to blame? Both sides if you ask me. The league is too big (they have ice hockey teams in places they don't even get ice!).

Not to long ago Ted Leonsis brought Jagr to Washington for the price he could buy a small country. I guess he hadn't learned from Dan Snyder of the Redskins that you can't buy wins.

The season is over this year. Too many struggling owners would rather chalk up a year in the black than pay salaries and lose more money. Too many players are skating elsewhere. If you ask me, we need some scabs to start playing.
No, the problem with the NHL is they have forgotten their roots and tried to cash in on flashy US TV deals - and found out that most folks in the US couldn't give a rat's ass about hockey. And why should they?They 'Americanized' the sport with lighted pucks, TV time-outs, giant arenas they couldn't fill, thugs making $300K per game and jeebus knows what else - and it imploded. Good.

As Config said, I hope the NHL collapses and starts again as a hockey league.

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #18
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,562
What little hockey I've seen I'd have to agree with you guys. When I watch the international stuff I am amazed at the grace and athletisicm, but NHL bunches of stupid hard hits (there are smart hard hits) and thuggery. Here in NM a few years ago we had some Russian C league team "Great Volostov Tractor Factory" and play the Skorps. The Russians were almost literally skating circles around the Skorpions--the Skorps began to try and fight and play dirty. They still got their asses kicked.

Jurgen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:19 PM   #19
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro

Or you can watch these guys play "Old Time Hockey, coach" over and over again. They're like the Webber boys of hockey. Or are the Webbers the Hansens of ADV

Hockey is great fun to play, but man it sucks on TV.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:38 PM   #20
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,501
I lived in Chicago most of my life and watched the Blackhawks. Mostly substandard, plodding hockey that was relatively uninteresting to watch. However, the Hawks would hit hard which most Chicagoans seemed to prefer to a wide open game. They usually made the playoffs and sometimes surprised some better teams, going deep into the later rounds before being knocked out by a real team. For the last 5-6 years, they can't even make the playoffs.

Then I moved to Denver (7 years ago) and saw what hockey can be. It's a great sport for talented skill players. Unfortunately, the less talented teams have to resort to clutching and grabbing to compete. Not their fault, just the only way for them to survive.

There are too many teams in the NHL, diluting the talent. Reduce the number of teams and stop all the grabbing and it will improve.

Also, it doesn't translate well to TV, but HDTV should help that some---but not enough.

Mike
Old 11-09-2004, 03:05 PM   #21
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Vardy
IMHO, anyone, and I mean anyone, who kicks a ball around a field, or bangs a piece of rubber with a stick, or throws balls in a peach basket, who thinks they are worth more than a doctor, or airline pilot, or army grunt, or anyone else that holds precious life in their hands, is sadly mistaken.

What do you mean by, worth?

Are you talk’n $

No one ever got paid on the basis of what they are worth, they got paid on the basis of what they can demand. As Babe Ruth said when asked why he got paid more than the President of the United States," I had a better year"
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: